It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's right with America?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Man, Uncle Sam is taking a beating lately, deservedly so, what people are missing is that the gov. isn't the people, unless they re-elect Dubya, then there's no defence. America, the people, is not America the government. What do you see as GOOD things that come out of America? There is plenty as far as I'm concerned. The NFL and by extention the Superbowl. I hear that the best pizza in the world is to be had in NYC. Seperate what their gov. is doing and let us know, what good has come to you from America.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
KayEm.

And pixy stix of course

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
What's right with America?

I must state here that many Americans were against your war from the start, and many Americans (including the Armed forces) have been in there actually trying to help the Iraqi people. Some have done despicable things, but that doesn't change the good actions of many (don't take that as support of the occupation on my part, though).

America produced Carl Sagan and Stephen Jay Gould.

America decided to pitch in and help win WWI and WWII, despite the fact that both those wars were across the Atlantic (yes, the Pearl Harbour bombing may have caused your decision, but you could have fought in the Pacific Theatre without fighting in Europe).

America, despite her huge arsenal of nuclear weapons, showed great restraint in the cold war (as did Russia - both countries are to be commended). The actions in Nagasaki were despicable, but that was not America's fault... it was a choice of her leaders.

America (I believe) invented the Peace Corps.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Nice post Alex. That's what I'm talking about. I don't appologize for taking a different tack but we've been pissing on the wrong people. Why are we argueing about things that we have no control over, like Bush's policy? Nans, thanks, your ridiculous thread was inspiration for this, got the balls to step up to the plate? Sorry for the baseball reference. There's another thing that America gave the world, I don't like baseball though, don't hate it either.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

[deletia]

There's another thing that America gave the world, I don't like baseball though, don't hate it either.

Not to spit up all over the nice warm feeling, but America did not invent baseball.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlexKennedy

Originally posted by intrepid

[deletia]

There's another thing that America gave the world, I don't like baseball though, don't hate it either.

Not to spit up all over the nice warm feeling, but America did not invent baseball.

See, that's buggin me. What's wrong with a nice warm feeling. Of coarse the original game was not invented in America, but it is played around the world NOW in its present state. Check out the evolution of basketball, it's origins will make you puke.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
We may not have invented baseball, but we did invent BASEketball. :-D

Seriously though. America has done many good things, as well as many despicable things. But what country hasn't? We have had many good things happen in this country. No one has to be born here to be American. Being American comes from the heart.

Nikola Tesla brought us the wonders of Alternating Current (he was not born here, but he was definately American). Thomas Edison brought us Direct Current and the lightbulb (Thomas and Nikola were always in constant competition). Those two helped bring electricity to the world.

Juan Trippe brought us Pan Am (Pan American Airways), which paved the way for regular folk to be able to fly, not just the rich. Pan Am was also the first airline to have flights across the Pacific.

The great thing about America is that it welcomed innovation and change. Those changes helped the rest of the world change. I don't think we would have most of the things we have in the world today if it were not for America.

Unfortunately, greed and self-interest is what controls the powers-that-be. I'm afraid innovation and change is slowing down because of "national security" and other crap. It seems we are starting to walk backwards instead of forwards. Most people are afraid of change. We get so comfortable in a certain situation that the fear of change can overwhelm us.

I will admit that I too sometimes fear certain changes in my life, but when that happens, I stop and take a look around me. If I see things that really need changing, I will change them.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
America invented the blues which led to Rock 'n' Roll ! Yes!

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   

And slaves created the blues! Yes! I mean... um...

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme

And slaves created the blues! Yes! I mean... um...

Good stuff follows bad stuff, which is why I still have hope today

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Your right nemesis9, one of the USA's strong points is that it always strives to become better than what it was.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
They got the worlds best steak house in NYC.
Beautiful landscaping here in the midwest.
Granholm (governor of michigan) just signed a treaty w/ the indian tribes to conserve the water and enhance the environment w/ a check up every two years.

How about those wonderful krogher's and drive through starbucks?? In Canada they didn't have such wonderful luxuries.
Gotta love Ace and Aco hardware stores.
I love the small lakes here in Michigan, everybody seems really friendly and relaxed.

My neighbor across the street just gave me some of her roses, and everybody has a dog. More friends for baby Mulligan.

I'd say that American is filled w/ beautiful landscapes, you got the sunny warm surfs of California, beautiful Pacific Palisades in Carlsbad California.
Expensive but beautiful San Diego, Key west, Sarasota, Tennesee (the most friendly people in the USA studies/polls show, heard it from somebody recently as well).

Lot's of activism which is cool. People care...

Lot's of trees, lot's of cars. Everybody seems to have a new car around here.

I'm just really content now that i'm here, it's beautiful, peaceful, and I love the people more now then I ever have.

George Bush isn't perfect when it comes to environmental issues, but he's got the tax idea right.

Less taxes mean more for the people.
Foreign policy is ok, but apparantly not favorable.
But when your dealing w/ terrorist/ fanatical religious barbarians, what measures do you take?

Send them money and flowers and beg them no to hurt us?

Social issues could use some tuning, we'll get there. Nemisis: RIGHT ON, Ameica will always strive to enhance it's well being.
Always trying to make it better. It's a great thing.

If you look on the bright side of things you'll always see alot more good then what you may have originally thought.

I should also add the 3-4 lane roads. More rooms to pass dummies if their in the left lane holding up traffic.

I should also add Bush isn't the only solution to environmental issues.
Your state elected official (governor) can sign treaties and ratify documents to make your state a more beautiful and environmentally sound area.

Btw how do you find out which zone your in when it comes to planting stuff in your garden. I want more exotic plants and flowers but I'm having a hard time figuring out which zone i'm in. I'm in the Lower Penninsula of Michigan.

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Things I love:

- Beef Jerky (I know, I'm nasty)
- Jazz
- NY pizza (don't listen to Good Morning America, Ginos on Long Island is better than Scottos)
- Coke (But let's not forget Mountain Dew, I have a one liter right now)
- Cars
- Colts (Pistols, the MP5, the M-16, they kick ass)
- Movies (I am a movie freak)
- Computers
- The right to dissent

These are a few, there are many.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I'd also like to add Detroit red wings, and the Piston's for a strong defense on both teams.

I'd also like to add big screen boob tubes and cheap beer.

I'd also like to praise the 6% tax... The economy is good so prices are lower.

It's a huge shock from having to go from a 8% and 7% and liquor and food tax from Canada and going to just a 6% tax in America.

Man am I saving some cash!

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
How's about FREEDOM people!!!!
The right to vote!
The right to choose!
The right to come and go as we please!
LIFE - LIBERTY - AND THE PERSUIT OF HAPPINESS!

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Venus
How's about FREEDOM people!!!!
The right to vote!
The right to choose!
The right to come and go as we please!
LIFE - LIBERTY - AND THE PERSUIT OF HAPPINESS!

Oh yes, and that too... I was in a whimsical state of mind, just drunk on the beauty of the country as a whole.
Cheers to that Venus
Definitely a plus plus plus.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Oh yes, and that too... I was in a whimsical state of mind, just drunk on the beauty of the country as a whole.

There's another one...LOL
The right to be in a whimsical state of mind and drunk on the beauty of the country!

I wouldn't want to be anywhere else

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
As a Canadian I'd like to add that I think America is great for the most part. In fact, I would say that one of the best things in the world is New York City. Every time I go I have the time of my life, convinced that if I ever return, my current trip would not possibly surpass the last, and every time, without fail, it has. The energy of the city is incredible, the people are amazing, and if you haven't been, wherever you're from, you have to go.

I also believe that what America stands for at its core are values that have changed the world for the better and made the world a safer place.

Go America!

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
There are so many good things that come out of the USA and freedom, that I don't even know where to start.

Not only is this a beautiful country visually, but the diversity of this great melting pot makes it a beautiful place socially as well.

For someone like me, who values thier right to express themselves, the US rocks!

And the music! Stevie Nicks, Megadeth, Kid Rock...the list goes on and on.

The right and ability to stand up for your beliefs and ideals is unsurpassed.

hunting!! Go Ted!!

Fishing, omg, I live in the land of 10,000 lakes!

but...the best thing to come out of the usa for me, and I am biased, yep I am, is my kids.

In some countries, you cant even have kids without concent of the gov and if its the wrong sex, they go bye bye, and you cant stop them....China as an example.

A lot of people in the US dont realize how valuable our freedom is. They take it for granted because they have never seen anything else.

I can walk out my door and screem at the top of my lungs "BUSH IS A FLIPPIN IDIOT!!!" and someone can screem back, "SHUT UP!! I'M TRYING TO SLEEP!!"
If you did that in some countries, you would disappear.
My heart is filled with so much joy just at the thought of being where I am. Sometimes I think people dont know how lucky they are.
So the USA ROCKS!!! I love EVERYTHING about this country, even the bad things because there are always people willing to work them out and willing to stand up and make it a better place.

*waves his American flag high and proud*

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
And the music! Stevie Nicks, Megadeth, Kid Rock...the list goes on and on.

ROFL................I LOVE IT!!!

MISSCLEO -You ought to visit this side of the US........California blows NYC away!

[Edited on 5/17/2004 by Venus]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join