It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gnomes.. aka Duendes where im at

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Ok, first of all hi everyone, its been over 5 years since i last visited this site. But 2 things have happened in my life recently and i had to come back. Tommorow i will post a photo i took over a year ago of a strange object blocking the moon but thats for tommorow.... The subject for tonight is Gnomes....

I NEVER EVER EVER in my life even fancied the thought of dwarves or gnomes or any little critter like that real, but my new theory is, maybe i was living in the wrong part of the world. Ive seen UFOs with my own eyes along with my mother aunt and little sister all on the same night, over 10 years ago. Ive seen an orb after visiting a cementary and heard sounds and experienced things that have proven the existence of ghosts to me, but Gnomes? come on thats lord of the rings stuff.... at least thats what i used to think

I dont have any kind of evidence nor have i seen one but i recently moved to South America and it seems everyone out here takes Duendes aka Gnomes very serious and is a phenomenon just as much as a ghost is. Ive searched youtube and all the videos of these Duende videos are in spanish, which brings me to theorize maybe they only exist in this part of the world. Maybe its the landscape, perhaps they live in mountains? Who knows, maybe they are an old race or something, all i know is no one in the states has ever even spoken or even touched the topic and i have many friends and have met many people with paranormal experiences. The subject of Gnomes i would have laughed at a few months ago, but now it has intruiged me.

Ive asked many people of various age about Duendes here and some tell me they are like ghosts, some dont even want to speak of it out of fear im serious about this, a friend of my aunt who is a woman claims to have been attacked by one when she was younger.

My theory is they dont exist in the USA where im from Florida, if they DO exist it is more than likely only in South America, where there are endless mountains valleys jungles and plenty of wild land for the things to hide in and find food.

Heres a video showing the best footage of duendes, all of the clips are from various countries in south america

www.youtube.com...

Any info you may have on this topic would be greatly appreciated. From caracas, venezuela, im out.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by Gladius]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
wow, i just looked up the famous gnome video on this forum and im very surprised with how many dismiss the gnome video without providing any form of debunking just simply stating its fake with no kind of evidence whatsoever.

Lol at government agents

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I've seen that video used as an attempted alien abduction before. I'm not sure about it, but I have no evidence to debunk it.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
i was talking about another thread that had one of the featured videos ´

its like only immature kids posted in that thread, hope that dosnt happen in this one

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Gladius

Jeez, that's a fast warning!
That walking gnome video from Argentina was cool, I thought. I assumed it was a hoax, but never looked to find out. The way it moved was different. I guess I'll have to go and look who and why and how it was hoaxed now...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think there might be a critique of some clips here...

Duendes!
Do Creatures Such as Gnomes and Elves Really Exist?
Possible Explanation of "Gnome" Sightings (A few clips are here.)

[edit on 8/26/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
let me know if you find anything, please post it in this thread.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I don't for a moment believe in gnomes! Looking around I can't find any decent description for WTF it was? Snopes is usually good...not on this one Creepy Gnome Video and BTS had a pop at it too...Gnome From Hell in Argentina!

Was it a little kid dressed up?!

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gladius

Hi There

I'm from Mexico, this is a hoax, this video was a joke filmed (cellphone) by some teens in Yucatan, Mexico. I made a big "buzz" here, but after a few weeks the kids admit it was fake. It's an old video.

in the South part of Mexico the tradition call the Duendes as Chaneques and there's a popular character called Aluche (An old school wrestler side kick).

Saludos

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The first appearance you can clearly see it is a puppet, like a marionette doll. Notice how when it "runs" the legs do not do anything except dangle?

[color=lightgreen]----------------------------------------------------------------

I like how its also the same group of people in random locations encountering these "gnomes" and its the same one almost everytime.

Also, if these exist, do they only stay near walls? Strings and puppets people...strings and puppets.

[color=lightgreen]----------------------------------------------------------------

"Lol at government agents" yes...that is what your government is using your tax money on, to sit here and say "fake" at videos without giving an explanation. Gladius Ive lost all respect for you, to think that this site is littered with agents is just rediculous. Sure they might have a peak every now and again when someone is putting up sensitive information in the way of PDF's or something along those lines.

But really - Ive got nothing else to say, that was a retarded thing to say. Your probably one who suffers from the scary "gang stalking" right? the government and shadow forces are around every corner, watching and waiting for you to slip.

Go watch "enemy of the state" a few more times, maybe the "bourne supremacy" once mpre, say 5 hail mary's and pray they make it quick.

@you

[edit on 26-8-2009 by epitaph.one]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
hmmm, so it was a hoax, wonder why other stories say it came from Salta Argentina

Also what about the rest of the videos in the compilation of my orignal post? Namely first one and the one in the attic, that one looks the realest IMO

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
All parts of the world have these myths.

Here in the US we have Bigfoot, with a plethora of eye witness accounts and even some grainy video and pictures, just like you gnome video.

However the great majority of Americans do not believe in Bigfoot, as there has only been the eye witness accounts, grainy video and pictures.

I believe you when you say that the majority of people down there believe in gnomes, even given the same evidence Americans have on Bigfoot.

Now, if the populations were each to take an IQ test, which population do you think would have higher average scores?

If you go around the world to places where the majority of people in that country believe these things, ie third world countries, what do you think that the average IQ of the people there are?

Do you think this might explain it?

-----

[snip]

[edit on 26-8-2009 by breakingdradles]

Off topic comment removed

[edit on 26/8/09 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

I don't think, as one of the FSMEs of this forum, that IQ has anything to do with cryptozoology as a science. With making fake YouTube videos, maybe.

Your issue with sightings in third world countries is something I have personally been trying to combat on this website. Primarily, what would someone in a small third world village gain by claiming to have seen a specific creature? In most cases, the cryptid is as real to them as any validated species. In addition the similarity in sightings between totally isolated communities, especially in third world countries where things like the internet and newspapers do not play a role, is striking.

The study of cryptozoology is very complex, especially when it transcends cultures.

To people who have had encounters with Bigfoot or Sasquatch, these cryptids are much more real than "grainy film footage."

There are many members of this website who have had similar encounters, and many many more Americans who have. It's much more common that most people think, primarily because people fear being criticized for coming forward with their accounts. Many credible people have had Bigfoot sightings. Recent statistics of Americans who believe in Bigfoot have been surprising, to say the least.

In terms of other cryptids, gnomes and bipedal apes don't even begin to cover it. There are real cryptids that are now real zoological species, as well as living fossils. Take a peek at the Okapi and the Coelacanth, just to name a couple. Also see the Ivory Billed Woodpecker, the Giant Squid, and others.

I also think it is very rude to call someone an immature kid based on typing ability. Many members of this website are speaking English as a second language or more, and dyslexia and unfamiliarity with typing are also common. I only know because I used to criticize others for their grammar, spelling, and punctuation on the internet and then I realized that I was being selfish.

I know you don't frequent this forum much, I'm not sure what brought you here, but I do hope you look around in the future. Recently the topics of large felids, especially black felids, in areas of North America and Europe have been popular. Some very dedicated members have done some research and analysis into historical footage and photographic evidence. There is an entire forum here for those "Imaginary things created by kids on YouTube" although I think it is much more than that. And I think many of our dedicated cryptid researchers, including myself, would be insulted to hear that Bigfoot Evidence boils down to the same quality as the fake Duende footage in this thread.

Thank you for editing your post. Please take a closer look at the cryptozoological information in this forum.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Gladius

Saw this thread a couple of days ago and wasn't going to participate.

However, the member 'Breakingdreadles' has chosen to reduce the subject to:

'Those who claim experience of, or belief in, 'small sized entities' = stupid/unintelligent/third world'

And unspoken, we're no doubt to assume:

'Those with no experience or belief in 'small sized entitites' = intelligent/first world'

The poster who's stated this view is entitled to his/her opinion, no question.

Similar opinions regarding 'extraterrestrial entities/aliens' account for a large proportion of ATS's traffic and debate.

As far as I'm aware, the populations of Northern Europe (Iceland, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France, Belgium, Norway, Denmark, Finland, etc.) have not figured prominently within the 'third world' category since the term was coined.

I'm not sure anyone would care to describe Native Americans as 'third world' either.

Are the nations comprising South and Central America believed to be 'third world' ?

And what about Eastern and Central Europe .... 'third world' ?

Australia .. New Zealand ... 'third world' ?

The communities and nations of the Pacific, including Tahiti and Hawaii ... 'third world' ?

Numerous States within the US and Canada ... 'third world' ?

Small, human-appearing entities, described variously as 'Trolls, Goblins, Piskies, Leprachauns, Dwarfs, etc.' have been witnessed by peoples of all the above and more for at least a couple of thousand years. This was of course, long before television and computers, movies, radio or even books.

Those who've claimed to have witnessed the 'little people' have been titled nobles and noblewomen, members of the clergy and other 'respectable' members of society. Thousands of 'ordinary people' have claimed experience of them. Witnesses have been of all ages, from children to the very elderly and every age between, who've claimed to see them at night, at dawn, at sunset, during the middle of the day.

Some witnesses claim a positive encounter. Others claim they were terrified.

Descriptions of the 'little people' vary as widely as do the witnesses.

Some describe the entities as tiny with pointed faces, whilst others describe them as 'child size', with virtually all sizes represented within the reports. One common denominator has been that the entities nevertheless are reported as appearing smaller than average adult humans, although some, in Ireland, have been described as tall, fair of hair, eye and skin (although the latter are said to be the 'leaders' and of a separate race altogether).

Generally (and in contrast to the way the 'little people' are today portrayed in children's books and by the New Age) an encounter with the 'little people' was regarded as something to be feared and avoided.

Whether the 'little people' are to be considered 'paranormal', inter-dimensional and/or as part of an 'alien agenda' is open to conjecture.

One thing seems sure, though, and that is that the 'little people' have made themselves known to man, for whatever reason, for thousands of years.

Those who've claimed to have witnessed little-people have ranged the spectrum as far as 'intelligence' is concerned. Most witnesses and experiencers have been of average-intelligence. That is to say, at least as intelligent as most who post in ATS, for example.

Edit Add: edited to insert the ID of 'breakingdreadles', to whom I'd originally referred in this post as being 'the last poster'. In between commencing my post and Sending it, I saw there had been a new post.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by St Vaast]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Wow, I guess you hold grudges from previous threads, good thing your working with ATS now, you'll fit right in

As I stated, I believe these people when they say they saw something.

I'm saying that these people have been told stories since they were little and sometimes don't know how to describe something other than what they already know from stories.

Just as cavemen would have seen UFO's as gods, these people are seeing gnomes and chupacabra when actually seeing something explainable by others.

If you don't know how to describe a hyena you just saw, with it's weird proportions and fangs, you might describe it as a werewolf.

That's all I'm getting at! I'm a believer in MANY things check my posts, however, gnomes have not yet been added to the list.

I have an open mind, which is why I came here and viewed the evidence presented.

I'm simply stating my thoughts, I thought that was allowed at this website.

If not, let me know, I love to follow rules.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Wow, I didn't realize the purpose of this forum was to make people believers?

Did I miss something when I signed up?

Again, if there are rules about presenting the other side of the coin, let me know, I love to follow rules.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

It's not, of course. And I do not hold grudges. But I saw someone who hardly posts here come in, criticize someone who made a thread on a subject and provided evidence just because of their typing, and give the impression that people who believe in cryptids do so because of a low IQ.

It also did not seem like you were presenting an opinion against gnomes, but all cryptids in general, as you also mentioned Bigfoot and alluded to similar types. And you seemed to, at first, reduce all evidence to that of YouTube video quality.

But my apologies, I may have misunderstood you.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
ravenshadow i thank you for your input and opinion in this thread. Dont worry about the other guy he even thinks your holding a grudge lol, i dont know where he got that impression. Anyways like i said, im not a believer in these Duendes/gnomes/dwarves but now i have more of an open mind towards them due to MY PERSONAL experience of traveling to a foreing country and living in another culture for months. I have no punctuaction in my posts because the keyboards out here are weird and have a lot rearranged symbols, only thing intact are the ABCs.

I dont capitilize because i type fast and am lazy.

Again thank you ravenshadow with the comparison with bigfoot/USA and duendes/latin america

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gladius

Not a problem

I like this thread. One reason I really like it is that you're from Venezuela (I think? Says it on your location) and you used the Duendes terminology. Sometimes they are considered the same as Gnomes, sometimes a little different, but .. allow for another bigfoot comparison.

Some people argue that Bigfoot, Sasquatch, and Yeti are all regional variants on the same cryptid. Some people disagree and say they are completely different. It's like that. Seeing both terms used at once sheds a little light into cryptozoological taxonomy and I greatly appreciate it.

I like this thread, don't worry.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I'm sure by now you appreciate that your post painted the subject with a very broad brush, particularly in relation to intelligence.

You appear to have made the mistake of equating poverty with lack of intelligence, yet this simply is not the case.

As you'd no doubt be aware, many who're described today as geniuses were in fact poverty stricken their entire lives and died in poverty.

Conversely, many of those who witnessed the 'little people' and left an account (whether written or oral) have been demonstrably of high intelligence. Some were wealthy, some poor and some middle-class.

What needs to be borne in mind as regards accounts of the 'little people' is that the vast majority of accounts are drawn from eras long before mass communication. These witnesses were not out to make a name for themselves. There was no You Tube or internet .. not even newspapers. We're talking many hundreds, even thousands of years ago.

It's sometimes difficult for people today to envisage life before internet, before movies and tv, before easily accessible printed material, before newspapers.

The fact is, though, that until relatively recently, the majority of people ventured very little beyond the communities into which they were born. They lived isolated lives, very often .. on farms, in tiny hamlets and villages.

When people live in small communities, they have to be extremely careful in word and deed, for their judges and juries are their communities.

Once a reputation (of whatever kind) is gained in a small community, it's almost impossible to shift. Not only that, that reputation is required to be borne by all the individual's family members and descendants, often through several successive generations. So, for example, if an individial were to do or claim something that his community decided was 'crazy' or 'blasphemous' .. then the individual would be described as same for the rest of his life or until he departed that community (which was easier said that done, in fact. For each village and town was required to contribute scarce monies for the upkeep of widows and orphans, cripples and the aged and did not welcome 'incomers' who might add to the financial burden).

Today, anyone can put up a hoaxed video on You Tube, anonymously. No matter how outrageous the hoax, it will not negatively effect the anonymous author either in his workplace, neighbourhood, family or friends groups. In short, people can do virtually anything they like these days, via internet, and 'get away with it' as far as relating accounts of things which may or may not have occurred.

The people of past eras did not have that luxury. If you were caught stealing .. just once .. then your reputation as a 'thief' was likely to follow you lifelong. If you were heard blaspheming just once, there were those who would report you and penalties were imposed and you would be labeled as 'godless' and shunned. No anonymity back then.

So, in light of the above, it stands to reason that people had to be very careful in what they said and did and claimed.

Why, then, did individuals relate their experiences of the 'little people' ?

The answer seems clear: their claimed experiences of the 'little people' were not considered 'wrong', 'sinful' or 'crazy'.

Why not ?

Because others had seen the 'little people' too. The little-people were not an 'out there' theory, back then. They were considered part of life.

Why ?

Because many people saw them. They compared experiences. There were common elements. Therefore, 'little people' were accepted as 'real'. Therefore, it was 'ok' to talk about them and about one's experience of them.

That many people .. from many and diverse societies .. saw the 'little people' and interacted with them, is illustrated in the number of different names used by those many and diverse societies to describe the little-people. Scandinavians used a different name for the little-people than did the Icelandics, for example. The Scots had a different name for them to the Irish. Different Counties in England each had a different name for the little-people. Unique Native American tribes had different names for them, as did the Hawaiians when compared to islanders of the north Pacific.

Could it possibly be claimed that ALL these diverse peoples were 'unintelligent' ? Or that for some reason, the people of Ireland and those who inhabited the plains and mountains of North America long before the whites, 'just decided' to INVENT and name a 'little people' hoax -- at varying times in history and without any knowledge that there existed tribes other than their own ?

The people of the Irish countryside had NO idea there existed a place later to become 'The United States', let alone that people lived there and were ALSO seeing and interacting with little-people.

The peoples of the Pacific Island had NO knowledge of Scotland or Canada or Germany. But those Pacific Islanders DID know that a race of 'small people' lived alongside their own community. They gave those little-people a name. It was a different name given by the Germans to the little-people they encountered. And the Native Americans of the plains and up in Canada gave names to the little-people familiar to their own societies.

Those Germans of a thousand and more years ago never had the chance to discuss little-people with the peoples of Iceland or Canada or South America. They didn't have the chance to compare notes.

Instead, people lived in often isolated hamlets. They didn't know much of the world beyond their village. They didn't have newspapers or tv or internet. They didn't have fake nails or chrome mufflers on their non-existent vehicles. They rose with the sun and went to bed when it grew dark. Their lighting was from fires or candles. They didn't go to school, yet they knew when rain was coming, when snow was due, when to harvest, when to sow, how to birth babies, which plants to apply to wounds.

They were practical people .. ALL the peoples of long-gone history. They had to work in order to survive. No fancy stuff. They had just what was needed to survive. And that included their topics of discussion.

Amongst the topics they discussed (along with poor harvest, weather, livestock, barter, fuel, food sources, etc.) were the little-people. And most of the information that was passed from mouth to mouth was a warning about the little-people. Little-people (however they were named by the community in question) were reputed, 'known', to steal newborns. They were reputed, 'known', to substitute a little-person for the newborn.

People handed down warnings to their children about the little-people. 'Don't speak to them. Don't interact with them', was the warning given by Native American tribes to their children. Just as they taught their children to leave gifts for the little-people when planting new corn. Failure to 'gift' the little-people would result in destroyed crops, no harvest, starvation of the entire tribe. Similar warnings about the little-people were passed down by parents in Germany, Scandinavia, Hawaii, the frozen reaches of Canada, Ireland, Scotland.

These were practical folk. They sometimes dealt with a birth and a death during the same day. A lame horse could mean starvation for the family. An early or late frost, likewise.

They discussed what was relevant, important to survival and they passed it down to their children, so they could survive.

They didn't 'invent' or 'imagine' the little-people -- why would they -- all those individuals groups of people scattered all over the globe ? The only explanation is that those diverse and separated groups of people experienced the little people and mostly feared and were wary of them.

<<   2 >>

join