It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans turn to Hindu beliefs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

The confusion is that most people attribute any Sanskrit text to Hinduism as well as of India's. The Vedic philosophy is magnificiet but hinduism has nothing to do with it. Hinduism is a fanciful form of worship. If you read the vedic philosophy you will realise how much jesus christ has reflected to it and the teachings are more or less the same. My suggestion would be to vouchsafe the vedic knowledge and to follow the teachings of christ as he was the last person to expouse them.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CuteAngel
The Vedic philosophy is magnificiet but hinduism has nothing to do with it.

The Vedas are the holy books of hinduism
I think you might be confused

Originally posted by CuteAngel
If you read the vedic philosophy you will realise how much jesus christ has reflected to it and the teachings are more or less the same.

Really hinduism is older than christianity but Jesus influenced it nonethless?

OR............Did hinduism influence Jesus?

www.jesus-in-india-the-movie.com...

Also look at these

[edit on 29-8-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Well is this a sign of enlightenment coming from the US or just a sign of more tolerance.

I say both, many people are unhappy with what they were brought up with, many of us out there that dares to question everything dare also to find answer out side our traditional believes looking to expand our learning experiences, this doesn't mean that people will deviate from what is familiar to them, but just expand their options.

Is nice to see that the trend is growing.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Well, people are beginning to wake up to the fact that if there were one "True religion," the world wouldn't be in the mess it currently is in.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Well, people are beginning to wake up to the fact that if there were one "True religion," the world wouldn't be in the mess it currently is in.

But none of the ancient texts speak of this world as a perfect and good place, Hinduism is very complicated also.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541

Originally posted by fraterormus
Hmm, I'm not seeing the correlation the article is making between those statistics and Hinduism.

That's because it's not making one. It's all in the title... "Americans turn to Hindu beliefs".

The beliefs many Americans are turning to are similar to those of Hinduism, and since this article is from India Times, they're not likely to compare these beliefs to anything else.

I was just thinking the same thing... Why doesn't it say Americans turn to Cherokee beliefs?

It's called bias.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Jesus could not have been influenced by anyone. It is because his consciousness was elevated much more than that of an average human and thus was closer to God and hence proclaimed to be son of God.
The Vedas are purely monotheistic and devoid of idols and images and hence cannot mix with Hinduism which is polytheistic. Believe me, Hindu tradition and cultures are not based on Vedas.
The Vedas teach you about discrimination at every level, contemplation, meditation, omnipresence, omniscience, omnipotence. Have a tiny glimpse of them below

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Ancient sanskrit texts are so advanced that even modern physics derives sustenance from them.

What specifically has modern physics derived from ancient sanskrit texts so far?

Interesting if true.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
There have always been Americans who were interested in eastern philosophies and practices, although that interest began to grow even more during the cultural upheavals of the 1960's and has lasted until now.

I have investigated numerous religions and belief systems in my own search for something I can believe in and find something of value in them all.

It does seem to me that most of the world's great religions say many of the same things. That's a little reductionist, but I do find common grounds among them.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

They say:
Astronomy,Atomic Theory much before Dalton and Mathematics, Hindu-Arab Numeral system? decimal System? The base root of all this is present in Vedic Mathematics.

Google is your friend

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
In Hinduism, the Highest knowledge that can be studied is Advaita Vedanta (or nonduality)

In Buddhism, the Highest knowledge that can be studied is Dzogchen (or nonduality)

In Orthodox Christianity, the highest state a Christian gets to ..is Union with God or (nonduality, theosis, deification)

But this crappy western version of Christianity is all watered down ...they simply want you to sit and read the Bible ......no direct experiences, no spiritual realities, no personal revelation. Its become a stagnant literal, dogmatic, fundamentalism.

It was when I began studying outside of Western Xtianity that my relationship w/ God skyrocketed.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This is great news in my opinion. Chrisitianity needs to move from dogmatic biblical literalism, fundamentalism, and exclusivism.

All of these are relatively recent phenomena, by the way. Fundamentalist Christianity of the style that most people associate with "ferverent Christians" today really only got its start with Calvinism and only truly assumed its most rigid forms sincethe 1700s. It was a reaction to the rationalism of the Enlightenment era, a kind of backlash. The more technology advanced, the more certain strains of Christianity picked up steam in a "battle" against science, etc. Witness this extremism becoming so prononced in the 20th century, as science reached a creshendo.

But this battle against science and rationality is neither necessary or correct. Nor, surveying the vast range of Christian history, can it be said to be the norm in any sense whatsoever:

...It is, for example, crucial to note than an exclusively literal interpretation of the Bible is a recent development. Until the 19th century, very few people imagined that the first chapter of Genesis was a factual account of the origins of life. For centuries, Jews and Christians relished highly allegorical and inventive exegesis, insisting that a wholly literal reading of the bible was neither possible nor desireable.
-Karen Armstrong, "The Bible; A Biography."

In addition to the well-known Gnostics, there are literally hundreds of mystical writings and thinkings within Christianity that de-emphasize biblical literalism and move toward a more experiential, fusion-with-the-divine type experience. Not all are "heretical," either. For example, consider the long and complex (and sadly much forgotten) traditions of Christian mysticism.

If Chrisitanity is moving more in this direction, it is a positive sign that not only is it healing itself from past extremes...it is also coming home to a part of its own history that, for whatever reason, it became self-alienated with.

[edit on 8/13/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

BRAVO Silent Thunder!!!!!!

Thank you for that awesome statement. These are my sentiments exactly.

I have been labeled by such fundamentalists as a heretic, blasphemer, a non-christian and that I'm doomed to hell......

HA!!! If heaven was ever filled with fundamentalists such as these then no thanks ......fortunately many of us know thats not the case.

I for one, being a Christian Mystic, myself ......would be more than happy if there are more paths than one to God ...that means no one is left out. I want everyone of you guys in the heavens with me, even my atheist friends.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CuteAngel

You seem to just be putting your opinions out there as fact. How can you say the Vedas have nothing to do with Hinduism? Or that Jesus couldn't have been influenced by anyone??

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join