It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.9-magnitude quake strikes off Mexican state of Baja California, U.S. {Updated}

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

I can see from that map you have posted why there are theories about the south west US collapsing in to the sea.

Thats some serious activity going on there.

Cool map.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
MSNBC Video Report

MSNBC Video

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

I wonder how this is going to affect the near by faults, will it have loosened them?

I will be watching the Earth boards.

Well, these will have either loosened the nearby faults or relieved pressure on them! I'd like to hope the latter of the two options. If I were a bettin' man I'd say that there may be a few more in the mag 3 - 5.9 range and then all will go quiet again. Maybe something close to a 6 in Cali but that's about it.

(keeping fingers crossed that I am right)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

See those two little yellow ones in SE Missouri? There is another thread about "Orange Lights" in that same area, and last time the New Madrid had a major quake, people reported "mysterious lights" in the area in the days preceding the quake!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
If your lucky, you'll end up with 10 quakes in one day in one spot, but dont worry, famous Ats'rs say it is normal.. So calm down...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackieps1975
What's intriguing is in the past several days there have been flurries of small quakes in the Baja region. I believe it was on 7/31 that they had a few around Mag 3 (ish). There is alot to be said with regard to the small pre-cursor quakes.

edit to add: This is also on the plate boundary, which may indicate the biggie is coming soon

[edit on 3-8-2009 by jackieps1975]

oh dear god dont say that ,

my first born daughter lives in central cali and i have so much on my plate right now but it the bigge does hit then i gott get tmy ass to cali asap to go get my first born.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

See those two little yellow ones in SE Missouri? There is another thread about "Orange Lights" in that same area, and last time the New Madrid had a major quake, people reported "mysterious lights" in the area in the days preceding the quake!

Since you mix the topics, I can say that Jo ann Richards say ET use quakes to hide mass abductions, the govt. they say they died in the quake !

But, propably just nothing...

Tectonics

[edit on 3/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

I'm relatively sure it won't happen anytime soon, I mean I can't say that for certainty, but if I'm not mistaken isn't this signs that the faults are perhaps releasing energy?

If so would that make the quake less likely?

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Could you link to the other thread when you get a chance? I am interested in this phenomenon (which is still unexplained but seems consistent with some very large earthquake events).

In related news, a 3.4 just went off up in California just NE of Fresno. 3.4 is small, but may be related to this series down in Baja and could be an indicator of more to come. Something to keep an eye on for sure!

MAP 3.4 2009/08/03 19:21:59 37.333 -118.736 19.8 15 km ( 9 mi) SW of Round Valley, CA
earthquake.usgs.gov... hp#details

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That would be my guess as well.

That is a lot of energy released, it would be a MAJOR plate shift for the 'big one' to happen..

but just my guess...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I hope everybody is safe.

There are tsunami warnings!

Stay safe out there.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by alysha.angel

I'm relatively sure it won't happen anytime soon, I mean I can't say that for certainty, but if I'm not mistaken isn't this signs that the faults are perhaps releasing energy?

If so would that make the quake less likely?

~Keeper

or it can migrate north, which is also possible

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
On one of the Earth boards - people from Arizona felt it, shook their building.

Also, take a look at flash Earth - I look at it, almost everyday - to see where I believe some shaking will be happening - I watch for EQ clouds.

Well - to the West of this area - those look to be definite EQ clouds, plus notice how clouds are not right over the area. The Earth waves - move them away.

link to Flash Earth:
www.flashearth.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is the thread about the orange lights in SE Missouri, but it doesn't mention the earthquake connection. That is just my observation from past readings about the New Madrid fault. It is overdue for a major quake, and at the time of the last one, there were a lot of mysterious light sightings.

We have also had rare earthquakes in TN, KE, and Northern GA, and even one in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. None of these are unheard of, but seeing all of them in a relatively short period of time is concerning!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Wow, thats a good distance to shake buildings

mexico is not as strict on building codes as the u.s. I hope no cities had any real damage. It could be bad.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

living in CA i watch the USGS site often...
is it just me or is there an unusually high number of recent quakes? granted, most (besides the gulf) are small, but still more than i'm used to seeing.

are these large quakes a preview of things to come for the rest of california (and then some) or is it just relieving tension?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This in just from MSNBC:

SAN DIEGO - A powerful earthquake Monday shook the fishing villages along Mexico's Gulf of California, prompting alarm as far away as Phoenix, but there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

The U.S. National Earthquake Information Center said the 6.9-magnitude quake struck at 12:59 p.m. (1:59 EDT, 17:59 GMT) and was centered 331 miles (533 kilometers) southeast of the border city of Tijuana.

Civil protection officials in the two states on either side of the quake — Baja California and Sonora — said there were no reports of damage or injuries.

The quake came minutes after two others calculated at magnitudes 5.8 and 5.0, according to the earthquake center.

The quakes were all centered in the middle of the narrow slice of sea between the Baja peninsula and Mexico's mainland, which should help cut down on its chances of causing major damage, said Don Blakeman, an analyst at the center.

"It's going to be felt extremely widely, and it's possible there may be some damage, but there's no way to speculate at this point," Blakeman said. .

City Hall in San Diego, just north of the Mexico border, was evacuated soon after the rattling started, KNSD-TV reported.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

"It felt very calm. There was barely a vibration," said hotel receptionist Graciela Alvarado at a motel in the town of Caborca, in the Mexican state of Sonora, across from Baja California.

Local authorities and the USGS warned there was a risk of a small, localized tsunami in the area but no official tsunami warning for the main Pacific coastline.

"There's a very high risk this could occur," said Baja California emergency services director Alfredo Escobedo.

Source

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

Naa its about average normaly run around 800 depending , this spring it got up to 1200 which was unusual, but 700-800 is about average.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I'm in Seattle, haven't felt anything yet.
I'll keep you guys posted tho.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

i guess usually i just notice more yellow squares than orange. LOL

what are the chances that these bigger quakes will creep up north??

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join