It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your computer, Government Property? - Cars.gov Is This Even Possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Note to mods...a previous thread was created on the "newsworthiness" of this topic. This thread is intended to ask ATS tech-savvy users if it is even possible and to cite other websites where such practice is made.

Transcript of Glenn Beck Cars.gov Segment

ATS users:
I created this thread with the hope of learning from the "technologically-inclined," can this even be true? Is it possible that an ordinary Internet user innocently logging onto a website, reading a terms/conditions that asserts by continuing the government will have 100% access and control of your computer, even be possible?

Does the government have the power to make such control?

Does the government even have technology at the DoT level that would be able to access personal/business computer files etc.?

This story will get much more hype from Glenn Beck and viral YouTube vids next week. It would be ideal to get the facts now before people start freaking out and paranoia runs rampant.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

“A warning box comes up, and it says, ‘This application provides to the DoT CARS system. When logged on to the CARS system, your computer is considered a federal computer system and it is property of the United States government,’” Beck read. “‘Any and all uses of this system and all files on this system may be intercepted, monitored, recorded, copied, audited, inspected, and disclosed to authorized CARS, DoT and law enforcement personnel, as well as authorized officials of other agencies, both domestic and foreign.’”
Kimberly Guilfoyle, a legal analyst for Fox News interpreted the language to mean the government has very broad authority over your computer – including the ability to seize personal and private information.

I copied this from the link you posted.

This is downright scary. If they are doing this here, you have to know they are doing it at other government sites. Beck does say that ordinary consumers won't encounter the warning.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn
Beck does say that ordinary consumers won't encounter the warning.

I didn't even pick-up on that quote.

I wonder what he meant by this. If literally it means that an ordinary home-user won't see that warning, does that mean it does apply to them?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

This is what he says

However, once the Web operator proceeds beyond that point in the dealers section – the government has some very frightening language about what authority they have over your computer posted, as Beck reported. Ordinary consumers wouldn’t encounter this warning, but the information contained in the dealer’s computers might include theirs.

He is implying that they may access your computer via the dealer. At least that is the way I read it. Beck is saying they can go further and get any information they want and give it to anyone.

I really think this is just the dealers but the government will do what they want when they want to whether any of us like it or not. Just sign something and say it preempts the constitution.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Here's a screen shot:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/29b9d49937f8.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 2-8-2009 by MOFreemason]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I know that English is not my strong point (I learnt it for myself, so I miss many subtleties), but from what I read that only applies to car dealers, not to the general public, and that is why it says "ordinary consumers wouldn't encounter this warning".

Technically, it depends on the way the connection between the computers is made. If the connection is made through a purpose-built program that runs on the dealer's computer then they can do whatever they want with that computer, so if the dealer has personal data about the consumers that data can be gathered by the system.

Also, technically, the computer is on the same network, so maybe it can be legally considered as being part of the government network and so the government rules applied to it.

PS: this only applies when logged on to their system.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I will say from a tech point of view, that this is ENTIRELY possible. And not that hard to do either. Scary it is, very scary.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
What's up with the "...both domestic and foreign" zinger at the end of that travesty of a "disclaimer" anyway?

Are we involved in some funky under-the-table deal to get the Chinese to keep buying our melting Treasury Bonds in return for giving them back-door network acces to US private info? I write this sardonically but as I come to the end of the sentence I realize I certainly wouldn't put it (or something similar) past the clowns in control these days.

[edit on 8/2/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This only applies to dealers that are participating in the program. These dealers are getting government money for this program and the TOS is to verify the legitimacy of the dealers using the dealership computers. Unless you have a dealership username and password to access the program, it doesn't apply to you.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason

Originally posted by liveandlearn
Beck does say that ordinary consumers won't encounter the warning.

I didn't even pick-up on that quote.

I wonder what he meant by this. If literally it means that an ordinary home-user won't see that warning, does that mean it does apply to them?

What it means is that this is for dealers only.

littlegreenfootballs.com...

Although the language of the dealer’s agreement might seem a little over-zealous (a common problem in “terms of service” agreements), it’s a lot more understandable when you realize it’s intended to apply to dealers who are entering into a business agreement with the government to dispose of clunkers. And it appears on a secure website that allows dealers to log into the government’s financial system. The page is named: supplierpayments.esc.gov.

This whole “issue” is pure tin foil.

Originally posted by Parabol
This is a complete lie from Glenn Beck.

1. The site he references is ONLY for dealers accessing the DoT website. You can't enter that part of the site without the proper registration and login details. Only dealers get that, he didn't accidentally make his way into that page. He and his producers knew what they were doing. Non-dealer citizens are not subject to this.

2. This is a fairly common government practice. If you use a computer at a government/military facility everything you do is monitored. You need access cards to turn on or use certain machines. This is to ensure classified information is not compromised and that unauthorized access doesn't take place. This is a security measure used on every military base and I would assume every government office.

3. They don't take data from the computers. This doesn't mean they own anything on your computer. When you are not logged into the site they have no authority or control over your computer or information. What it means is that while you are connected to that server, your computer is treated like the computer in every other office, from Sgt. to General. For that time they can monitor traffic and usage to ensure that security isn't compromised while you are connected to government computers. It's more of a warning, they aren't scanning your hard drive while you access the site. They will only keep records of changes, transactions, things like that.

4. Glenn Beck and his producers knew all of this. They aren't idiots. While many people will read and headline and run with it, they do not. They research and then appear to do the same thing, but they are well aware of how public opinion is formed from shows like his. They know that even if they are caught lying that it doesn't matter, there are no repercussions and most people won't hear it about it. This is ridiculous and a spit in the face to the American people.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

join