It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Problems... solved?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Sounds extreme all our oil problems solved but ive just been watching the movie 'abyss'... now in this aliens or somethin (its still on) mess a nuclear sub up etc.... (underwater aliens... im sure ive seen a post on that) anyway one thing comes to another and an underwater oil drilling platform is used, now as extreme as it sounds could something like this be possible?!

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I don't think so.

Are you asking if under-sea drilling would solve the oil problems?

If we burned all the oil that we already had, the greenhouse effect would spiral out of control. I haven't got a link, but it's been in new scientist several times in the last few years.

So, simply finding more oil is not the problem. And they can already drill huge depths through water, so I don't really see an underwater platform dolving any problems.

The oil is the problem, not the solution.

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by Zzub]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Ahhh, yeah i see your point
The idea just seemed kinda cool to me if ya know what i mean. Its a good film so far btw

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Totally, I loved the movie, and the idea is really interesting. I did feel the ending sucked. It was as if they had run out of money, time and ideas. I hated the drowning bit (having drowned once, I'm touchy), but it was a great movie.

I haven't seen the directors cut, however, which has a better ending, or so I've been told.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
lol, cheers for the ending
IT AINT FINISHED YET !!!
*ahem* tell ya one thing thats tickled me, the guy obsessed with conspiracys!!! he'd be perfect for this board

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
He he, I won't talk about the ending, then!

Are you watching the movie while surfing this site? Lol, that's great multitasking!

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by Zzub]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
well pc's in bedroom and tv's just behind me if i sit at an angle i can just turn my head and watch the tv, then surf here
aint a bad film so far nearly finished i think

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Yeah you were right, the ending is, well # to be blunt lol, the whole breathing water, yeah right... Alien Base at bottom of ocean, maybe, not getting crushed to oblivioun at 20,000 feet in a what can only be described as a space suit.... Disappointed me

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Me too. The rest of the movie was so good, it just wasn't up to my expectations.

I want to see the directors cut some day. Apparently it's 15 minutes longer and there's more on the alien city after it has surfaced.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
yeah i'd like to see it also, i like the alien city part that was kinda cool. Ive seen better films but for what its worth this was ok

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Wjats the movie called? I wanna see it!!!!
Anyway... I dont see driling underwater for oil will solve any problems. How would it? Your still getting the oil from the Earth. How is it any diffrent than from driling for oil on land? Now using hydrogen for fuel will solve the problem. Japanse are worked out a machine that separtes the hydrogen and oxgygen in water to burn the hydrogen for fuel. They wanted to use it on cars but so far it's to expensive. They are trying to make it less costly. I dont have a link or anything, I read this. This would also solve air pollutin problems!!

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
lol if you like good films with a totally disappointing ending its called "The Abyss" got Ed Harris in it and that really fit nurse from ER hehe *looks for the drool emoticon*

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
DAMN!!! i was watching tv before i came on here. While looking at the guide i saw the movie but i didnt know what it was or neither have i herd of it so i didnt bother looking.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
lol its ok, rent it out or something, ever seen sphere? forgot whos in it but its wicked

join