It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Werewolf: The Beast of Bray Road(story on fox news)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
For those of you who don't know about this story here's a quick description of the story for you.

The Beast of Bray Road (or the Bray Road Beast) is a cryptozoological creature first reported in the 1980s on a rural road outside of Elkhorn, Wisconsin. The same label has been applied well beyond the initial location, to any unknown creature from southern Wisconsin or northern Illinois that is described as having similar characteristics to those reported in the initial set of sightings.

Bray Road itself is a quiet country road near the community of Elkhorn, Wisconsin. The rash of claimed sightings in the late 1980s and early 1990s prompted a local newspaper, the Walworth County Week, to assign reporter Linda Godfrey to cover the story. Godfrey initially was skeptical, but later became convinced of the sincerity of the witnesses. Her series of articles later became a book titled The Beast of Bray Road: Trailing Wisconsin's Werewolf.

Description:
Most descriptions and eyewitness accounts are cataloged on Linda Godfrey's book Hunting the American werewolf.

The Beast of Bray Road is described by purported witnesses in several ways: as a bear-like creature, as a hairy biped resembling Bigfoot, and as an unusually large and intelligent wolf-like creature apt to walk on its hind legs, right up to 7 feet, on all fours 2-4 feet, and weighing 400-700 lbs.

Although the Beast of Bray Road has not been seen to transform from a human into a wolf in most of the sightings, it has been labeled a werewolf in newspaper articles.

Explanations
A number of animal-based theories have been proposed. They include that the creature is an undiscovered variety of wild dog, a waheela (said to be a giant prehistoric wolf similar to Amarok), or a wolfdog or a coydog.

It is also possible that hoaxes and mass hysteria have caused falsehoods and sightings of normal creatures to all be artificially lumped under the same label. Concurrently with the sightings in Wisconsin, there was a rash of similar encounters in the neighboring state of Michigan. Following the release of "The Legend", a popular song about the Michigan Dogman in 1987, author Steve Cook received dozens of reports, including photograph and film evidence of the creature. There is no known link between the sightings in adjoining states, other than the similarity of the creature described.

A number of animal-based theories have been proposed. They include that the creature is an undiscovered variety of wild dog, a waheela (said to be a giant prehistoric wolf similar to Amarok), or a wolfdog or a coydog.

Popular culture
The Beast of Bray Road appears in the television program Mystery Hunters as well as several books and a motion picture. Articles about it have appeared in Weekly World News. The sightings spawned a 2005 exploitation movie directed by Leigh Scott titled The Beast of Bray Road. The History Channel's TV series MonsterQuest launched an investigation on the beast, in which all witnesses were subjected to lie detector tests. The polygraph administrator could find no indication that any of the witnesses had fabricated their stories.en.wikipedia.org...

So whats your whole take on Werewolves?
Me personally, I believe there are things out there we can't explain, there are so many tales and sightings of strange "manlike" creatures all over the world.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by joe82]

[edit on 12-7-2009 by joe82]

Mod Edit: Added EX tags

[edit on 12-7-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by joe82

Monster Quest also did an episode about this creature. All the witnesses passed a lie detector test, and definitely saw something.

Is it possible for a population of wolf like bipeds to exist without being discovered? I would give it a very small possibility, but the evidence is not there to back up any such creature. Hopefully there will be some type of physical evidence that can be tested for DNA. Right now, I do not think such a beast exists. (They could of confused a sighting of Sasquatch with this creature.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
people are mistaking bigfoot sightings for werewolf. Also what none of the stories seem to mention is that allllllllll of the witnesses knew each other or were related. This in my opinion adds doubt to the story. Also the sightings have never resurfaced. I have been out to bray road countless times and never had anything unusual happen and doubt their ever will be. I think Linda is riding this Bray Road thing for as far as that gravy train will take her (not that i blame her)...for she is now supposedly a renowned "werewolf" "expert"...

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
If this thing is real then it's a Shasta Ground Sloth. It's the only animal i'm aware of that fits the description perfectly. They can walk bi-pedally.

www.tarpits.org...

www.examiner.com...

[edit on 19-7-2009 by Sargoth]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
...it could be a human with hypertrichosis (aka: werewolf syndrome)...

www.hypertrichosis.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Hypertrichosis

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hiii_98

Hey hiii, Bray road is another place that manifests those entities you have encountered in your journeys. The is an abandoned A-frame house that seems to be one of several areas of concentration of "forces." I agree that these creatures shapeshift and that one can be easily taken for another. Bigfoot to werewolf only requires a shifting of the muzzle. As for Linda Godfrey....experts don't go werewolf hunting with flashlights and lawnchairs. Go figure.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I give you:

Gable Film 1:

and

Gable Film 2

P.S.- Not a man, not a gorilla, not a wolverine, and not a sloth. Werewolf might sound far fetched, but all legends have roots in fact somewhere in the time line. There are many things still unseen and undiscovered in our world. Mankind only pretends to know everything, out of fear of not knowing everything.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Whoa!! That's pretty weird. You might want to put a warning on grable 2 in case people are squeamish.

Just the way the thing moved is freaky in itself. Like no animal I've seen.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
...about the gable film - imo, its a bear - a really hungry one, obviously... from the google hits, lotsa people think its a hoax - quite a few said it was a man dressed up as a bear but they didnt explain what a man would use to inflict the victim's devastating injuries... a chain saw?... an axe?... possibly but i didnt see the marks on the victim that those tools should have made... a grizzly or kodiak could do it easily, just rip you right in half... i dont think it was big enough to be a kodiak, besides they dont go that far south... gruesome way to go (shivers)...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
As I said in the other thread, The Michigan Dogman is probably a Shasta Ground Soth. But the Gable film beast looks more like a Bear in that the front and rear legs are about the same length and massive. The body is also wide and massive just like a Bear. If it's not a Bear, the closest thing I've seen that resembles it is a Harlans Ground Sloth. Except for a tail, it's built more like it, whereas the Shasta Sloth looks much thinner and more canine looking. If you saw one at night standing on 2 feet, of course the average person will think Werewolf. This Gable beast doesn't look canine, so I think we are dealing with different animals.

www.tarpits.org...

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Sargoth]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I've been studing the Gable film and I've made up my mind. The gable beast is a GORILLA !!!

www.fotosearch.com...

www.nature-pictures.org...

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Sargoth]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It does look gorilla like in its movement but seems much wider around its chest and stomach. More bear like,imo, in that area of its body but its legs do seem gorillaish(if thats a word). Great bit of video, very weird what ever it is.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oreyeon
I give you:

Gable Film 1:

and

Gable Film 2

P.S.- Not a man, not a gorilla, not a wolverine, and not a sloth. Werewolf might sound far fetched, but all legends have roots in fact somewhere in the time line. There are many things still unseen and undiscovered in our world. Mankind only pretends to know everything, out of fear of not knowing everything.

The Part 2 no longer works, you tube removed it, most likely due to the gore but it was fascinating.

Part 2 ties the two together and is some compelling footage.

I have to go with something simian in nature due to its walk/charge characteristics. Anyway you slice it, its pretty astounding to have part 2 surface like that.

Edit: part two is out on the internet, easy search will yield it.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by SwatMedic]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

I agree with ya. Not a man, gorilla, sloth, dog, bear. Not sure why everyone else can't see this. The cleaned up version on my thread about the creature is telling. I've downlaoded the video to my realplayer so I can watch what ever part I want. When I just watch the part with the creature moving/charging, I can plainly see that it's none of the above.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I have to disagree. It's shoulders rule out everything but a Gorilla or a Harlans Ground Sloth. The 2 seconds of it running don't rule out a Gorilla. They can run on all 4s, 2 feet or half and half. They can get very shaggy long hair. There isn't one thing that disqualifies a Gorilla. The only other possibility is a Gov. made hybrid. If it a had a huge tail, then a Harlans Ground Sloth would be a possibility.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by Sargoth]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

it just looks like a big gorrilla?

[edit on 16-8-2009 by doodles40]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
ok, so if its a gorilla, what species of gorilla has a tail and pointed ears like a dog-like creature?

www.youtube.com...
that video is nicely slowed down so you can see more details...like the tail.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by devilishlyangelic23

After reviewing your video, I have come to the conclusion (and I'm sure you will too) that the video is of a dog known as a Chow.

If you watch :32 to :37 you will see what I am talking about.

try to picture the following in a full gallop and you will see what I mean.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by devilishlyangelic23

After reviewing your video, I have come to the conclusion (and I'm sure you will too) that the video is of a dog known as a Chow.

If you watch :32 to :37 you will see what I am talking about.

try to picture the following in a full gallop and you will see what I mean.

i had strongly considered that myself as well. because the general body shape of it and how it looks like it has puffy fur...but the way it moves in the beginning...seemed so unlike a dog...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
type in Gable Film 2 on youtube and it will come up

I thought it was fake till i saw part 2, wow

<<   2 >>

join