It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHO Declaration of Swine Flu Pandemic Appears Imminent

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
I agree we arent even close to getting the proper numbers of infected.

Does the number of infected really matter if the death rate is relatively low?

Also regarding sani-wipes. Yeah I use them too, but be warned that all hand sanitizers are NOT equal. The local news just did a study on that, the ingredients seem teh same but some cheap brands didn't kill germs AT all.

Purell and I think the Walgreen's brand were the best, some other brands like Costco generic were worthless. Also wiping things down doesn't help that much, spray doornobs and other surfaces with disinfectant and let it dry naturally (don't wipe it off).

Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide are supposed to be better than bleach or most any household cleaner you can buy. Just be sure to keep each in a separate spray bottle, spray one then immediately spray the other (do NOT mix in the same bottle). It is even safe for using on fruit and vegatables, just rinse with water when done. Combined they are 10 times more effective than either one used alone (especially good for use around pets and babies).

[edit on 9-6-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

And have you read about the school in Egypt where 1, then 2, now abouve 10 students are ill with flu- quarantined to dorms in Cairo. Ah, Egypt- home of H5N1. Reassortment, anyone?

And as regards people being sick all over- they are. Chicago has a high rate of infection and you cannot go into a store, or walk down he street without being met by groups of sweaty, hacking, sick people- going to WORK- going SHOPPING!?!?!?!?!

I live far from the City and we still see illness everwhere. Traffic (notoriously horrific in Chicago-not far from LA, in not equivalent)- is getting lighter by the day. Whenever we go out- groveries, etc., we wear masks and latex gloves, carry sanitizer and wash like crazy when we get home.

The numbers being reported are nowhere NEAR what the reality is.

2 frinds who are nurses in the Chicago suburbs are overwhelmed with intakes, and deaths in ICU (one friend works in that unit) are spiking very quickly- usually infection+ pneumonia and/or cardiac failure.

It's the real deal- it's happening in front of us- "hiding in plain sight". What I still can't understand is the blase attitude about it by the media, by the general population, etc. I think people are going to work while ill because jobs are scarce and people are afraid to take time off; and if WHO declares Level 6 this week, as is expected, the decleration will be about 3-4 months before optimum economic gain through vaccination- that fact alone leads me to believe the H1N1 flu is more dangerous than they want to admit.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by CultureD]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Disclosure Agent

I'm glad to hear you are staying on top of this flu. Yes many are home sick and simply dont get checked. Lets hope by fall this doesnt mutate even further!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

Checking is good but it's not exactly documented in many cases. I expect most Countries that dont have it will eventually end up being unlucky. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

No I suppose it doesnt matter now since the death toll is low; however it may get more severe come Fall time.

Yes some of those home remedies are excellent at fighting off a virus. I dont use herbal remedies but I did stock up on a lot of anti-viral herbal potions.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CultureD

That's a good point about Chicago. Have you also noticed that miraculously New York hasnt had any new outbreaks. It's not being mentioned for some reason.

Like this article says WHO is Preparing before disclosing. Homeland Security is on high alert. It makes you wonder why they are even involved!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

reply to post by moobaawoof

Right! Many dont go to the doctor. The count is much higher. I wonder what we should expect come Fall/Prime time mutated Flu season.

If this thing combines with the bird flu it's very bad news. We know birds land in swine pens so we must consider that birds also carry the virus.

it has its not SWINE FLU ....
H1N1
i think its
2 parts avian flu ( bird flu from asia )
2 Parts swine flu ( pig flue from mexico)
4 parts influenza ( human flu )

the scare is that it may not mutate with TB or AIDS some how that is what i have read a much more deadly diease that is not so eaily transmitted but if it mutates with H1N1 which is highly transmittable and even can live on inanimate objects than well... i do not need to say more

Thank you all great post i read a little before going to bed about the WHO meeting today and i knew this would be big on ATS and could not wait to wake up .... just want to know where our world is going .. call me crazy..

LOVE PEACE & Purist of ENLIGHTENMENT
connected

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

reply to post by CultureD

That's a good point about Chicago. Have you also noticed that miraculously New York hasnt had any new outbreaks. It's not being mentioned for some reason.

Like this article says WHO is Preparing before disclosing. Homeland Security is on high alert. It makes you wonder why they are even involved!

umm... YES it has.. many last week the week before they closed down schools please people just because you did not hear about it because the mainstream does not want to talk about it.. but i live in NJ and on local news ( get NYC news to ) but there was a principal that died .. two weeks and more schools have been closed.. we actually had a few number of cases in the middle school in my town but they did not close school because they thought it was two late.. this was two weeks ago.. and school still is on till
next week..

wonder how many got sick....

LOVE PEACE ENLIGHTENMENT

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworldYes some of those home remedies are excellent at fighting off a virus. I dont use herbal remedies but I did stock up on a lot of anti-viral herbal potions.

FYI the Vinegar/Peroxide thing isn't a home remedy. It is widely used in the meat packing industry, it kills every type of known bacteria better than just about any other chemical mix including bleach. I heard about it through an animal forum, where using toxic chemicals that can/will be ingested is just unacceptable.

There is a debate whether it will kill ALL viruses, peroxide should but alcohol over 60% is the only sure thing for All virii (but many are very fragile). But if you eat fruits/vegetables it has been handled and no one is going to soak them in isopropyl alcohol! Keep in mind even melons should be disinfected if you are concerned, people handle them and when you cut them you introduce germs from the outside to the inside via the knife.

I don't buy into most holistic home remedies, but this is for real. The chemical properties when combined are awesome.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by InterconnecteD

Youre right about the avian/H1N1 and I also heard about it mutating with the AIDS virus causing it to be airborn.

We have a severe problem on our hands. Something tells me this will continue to mutate past the Fall season. The characteristics of this flu have never been seen before.

I think they are at a loss on how to remedy this.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Australian swine flu spike could force WHO pandemic declaration

(CNN) -- A sharp increase in the number of reported cases of the H1N1 virus in Australia may prompt the World Health Organization (WHO) to declare the first global pandemic in over forty years.

The number of Australian cases of the virus, commonly known as swine flu, has reached more than 1,200, with state and federal medical officers set to hold an emergency meeting in Sydney to review the country's swine flu protection measures.
"We will take each decision along the way in response to the expert medical advice," Prime Minister Kevin Rudd told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld The characteristics of this flu have never been seen before.

Huh? Oh come on how, the flu viruses are always mutating and have been for eons. This is nothing compared to the Spanish Flu of 1918 (which killed over 20 million and probably infected just about every human on the planet).

It takes them a few months to develop and then grow vaccines, but they are already working on it. It is a slow process because it is grown in hens egg's. Now if it mutates again the vaccine may not be a great match, but it is not like this is the first time we have seen deadly flu viruses.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Sorry for misunderstanding the Vinegar/Peroxide remedy. I try to get as much valuable information as possible. We know the WHO site doesnt give this out. ATS is a great forum to put our heads together for a more constructive approach.

Thank you, very informative!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by wonderworld The characteristics of this flu have never been seen before.

Huh? Oh come on how, the flu viruses are always mutating and have been for eons. This is nothing compared to the Spanish Flu of 1918 (which killed over 20 million and probably infected just about every human on the planet).

It takes them a few months to develop and then grow vaccines, but they are already working on it. It is a slow process because it is grown in hens egg's. Now if it mutates again the vaccine may not be a great match, but it is not like this is the first time we have seen deadly flu viruses.

yes it is nothing like the Spanish flu but if you look at the patterns ..

the Spanish flu hit in waves the first wave which was actually hit in march also like this flu ( except many believe it goes back all the way to dec in cali)
the first wave was mild and only a very few people passed away, but by the time the 2nd wave hit in fall it had mutated and the fall out immune systems are weaker and the second wave is what did all the damage...

PEACE LOVE ENLIGHTENMENT

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by InterconnecteDthe Spanish flu hit in waves the first wave which was actually hit in march also like this flu ( except many believe it goes back all the way to dec in cali)

This flu, like the Spanish flu primarily killed young healthy adults. They think that is because many older adults had been exposed to a similar flu virus before, and had some level immunity.

If that is true then getting exposed to this mild version may be a good thing, so if it DOES mutate the people that were previously exposed will have some natural defense. I would not trust them to be able to make a reliable vaccine in time, the virus mutates so fast.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
What exactly is phase 6? This is from the WHO site. We need more advice.

Phase 6, the pandemic phase, is characterized by community level outbreaks in at least one other country in a different WHO region in addition to the criteria defined in Phase 5. Designation of this phase will indicate that a global pandemic is under way.

During the post-peak period, pandemic disease levels in most countries with adequate surveillance will have dropped below peak observed levels. The post-peak period signifies that pandemic activity appears to be decreasing; however, it is uncertain if additional waves will occur and countries will need to be prepared for a second wave.

Previous pandemics have been characterized by waves of activity spread over months. Once the level of disease activity drops, a critical communications task will be to balance this information with the possibility of another wave. Pandemic waves can be separated by months and an immediate “at-ease” signal may be premature.

In the post-pandemic period, influenza disease activity will have returned to levels normally seen for seasonal influenza. It is expected that the pandemic virus will behave as a seasonal influenza A virus. At this stage, it is important to maintain surveillance and update pandemic preparedness and response plans accordingly. An intensive phase of recovery and evaluation may be required

www.who.int...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Swine flu 'could be at pandemic level' www.telegraph.co.uk...

Margaret Chan, WHO director-general, said she would be consulting with governments on Wednesday, and if she had "indisputable evidence", she would make a formal announcement about the level of the outbreak.

Anyone know what time they are going to meet today GMT please.Cheers

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Australia may push swine flu level to pandemic: WHO
www.sbs.com.au...:-WHO

WHO's director-general Margaret Chan said that on the face of it the world was ALREADY in a pandemic.
"On the surface of it, I think we are in PHASE 6," she said.

The WHO has pointed to the spike of swine flu cases in Australia as a key reason why it may finally announce the first flu pandemic in 41 years.
Australia has recorded 1,263 cases of swine flu, and WHO senior official Keiji Fukuda noted "a great deal of activity in Victoria at the community level".
Under WHO's guidelines, one of the main criteria for a move to the phase six (pandemic) alert would be established community spread in a country outside the first region in which the disease was initially reported, in this case, outside the Americas

WHO keeps a close eye on Victoria's flu status

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

The World Health Organisation again signalled it was closely watching Victoria's status as a major new source of interstate and international infections, as a possible trigger to the declaration of a full-blown pandemic.
WHO assistant director-general Keiji Fukuda said the organisation was "very, very close" to upgrading its pandemic alert to its highest level, noting the "great deal of activity in Victoria at the community level".

Flu hitting first nations as pandemic looms

www.wawataynews.ca...

Many people are wondering - is there a pandemic or not? The World Health Organization (WHO) is considering announcing a worldwide pandemic as I write this. Just talking about the idea that a pandemic might be taking place is a scary proposition. In the past few years we have created a media frenzy about the idea of what will happen during a global pandemic.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
When Is a Pandemic Not a Pandemic?

The World Health Organization has backed itself into a corner on its Pandemic Influenza Phases system and the so-called swine flu. WHO knows it and is working on bureaucratic escape routes. But the real problem is what these alert systems mean for national governments that have detailed pandemic response plans — particularly the United States

The WHO Pandemic Influenza Phases system requires evidence of sustained transmission between human beings in two distinct parts of the planet at the same time. That standard has not been met for H5N1 bird flu: So far, so good.

But based on that same WHO threat scheme, we do now have a full-fledged pandemic of swine flu. The world should be at Pandemic Influenza Phase 6 right now.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

A surge in cases of H1N1 swine flu in Australia may tip the balance and cause the World Health Organization to soon declare the first flu pandemic since 1968, agency officials said Tuesday.

Cases in Australia rose by more than 1,000 on Monday, with most occurring in the southern state of Victoria. Rapid spread of the virus in a region beyond North America has been considered a key factor in labeling the outbreak a pandemic.

"We are getting really very close to knowing that we are in a pandemic situation," WHO influenza chief Keiji Fukuda said in Geneva.

And this is supposed to scare me why, exactly?
The WHO is just trying to get people scared. This is a little piss-ant strain of flu and has anyone really seen anyboy who has it? This can't become an epidemic because it hasn't killed millions yet.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join