It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists believe mushrooms may be a secret weapon in the fight against flu.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Media source:
New research shows that eating mushrooms can help fight off infections and viruses by boosting the body's natural immune system
Mushrooms also improved hormone-like proteins called cytokines that play an important role in defending the body against viral infections and tumours.

The research, carried out at Tufts University in Massachusetts, America, studied what happened to people's immune systems after eating white button mushrooms.

Dietitian Glenn Cardwell welcomed the research, saying: "Laboratory research found the intake of mushrooms may promote innate immunity – the body's first line of defence – against viruses. Rest of the article here:

www.telegraph.co.uk...
Maybe that's why I hardly ever get the flu??? I love and eat tehse mushrooms all the time!

Wow that's pretty cool I don't eat mushrooms everyday but at least every week, once a week, we have mushrooms. Maybe that's why my kids and I don't get sick very often?? Good to know! If I do get the Swine Flu I'll ask huby to make me mushroom soup instead of chicken.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

You're absolutely correct about the cytokine storm. It's the major reason young, healthy people die from novel flu strains (1918 is the biggest example).

The careful use of safe and trusted mushroos, however, would not induce a cytokine storm unless one was allergic to them, and they could, as someone mentioned, because they are fungi and a natural antibiotic, prevent secondary, bacterial infections that often follow on the heels of flu.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Here's a recipe I found that's kind of like mine-

button mushrooms
cream cheese
green onions
real bacon bits
minced garlic

Stem the mushrooms and finely chop mushroom stem. Sauté mushroom stems and garlic until mushrooms are tender, then mix cream cheese, chopped green onions, bacon, and the sauteéd mushrooms. Spoon mixture into mushroom caps and place on baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.

I wouldn't use onions. I would use turkey bacon. I like the idea of sauteeing the stems instead of not having a use for them.

<< 1   >>

join