It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists believe mushrooms may be a secret weapon in the fight against flu.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Media source:
New research shows that eating mushrooms can help fight off infections and viruses by boosting the body's natural immune system
Mushrooms also improved hormone-like proteins called cytokines that play an important role in defending the body against viral infections and tumours.

The research, carried out at Tufts University in Massachusetts, America, studied what happened to people's immune systems after eating white button mushrooms.

Dietitian Glenn Cardwell welcomed the research, saying: "Laboratory research found the intake of mushrooms may promote innate immunity – the body's first line of defence – against viruses. Rest of the article here:

www.telegraph.co.uk...
Maybe that's why I hardly ever get the flu??? I love and eat tehse mushrooms all the time!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
No wonder I have not been sick in awhile... I eat mushrooms with just about everything. Thanks for the article...great information!

-Kdial1

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

You're very welcome.
Also I now may be able to get my children to eat them...LOL

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

My girls hated them until I made them "Stuffed Mushrooms" one day..

Just stuffed them with a "light" stuffing mix and some cheese on top; baked them and my girls ate them up...

Semper

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I am not advertising, but after viewing a movie on TED.com i found this..

www.fungi.com...

www.ted.com...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Cool! I love mushrooms of all sorts!

And I pick a lot of them in the fall - in the woods, fry them in a pan, putting them in the freezer so I can enjoy eating them during the winter months.

I love them so much! and I use them with most of my cooking at the weekends!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

do you take the stalk bit out first? and is it those giant mushrooms or the little ones?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

hope you know what your doing/have an indeficiation book. theres a lot of dangerous ones, also dont pick any that bruise blue

[edit on 24-5-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Just stuffed them with a "light" stuffing mix and some cheese on top; baked them and my girls ate them up...

Semper

Aaahh! "stuffed Mushrooms"

I understand that your girls loved those - they are delicious!

Now I got the urge to to make stuffed Mushrooms and stuff myself with a lot of them!

Aaahhh! - delicious food! - I'm hungry!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by gusan

www.fungi.com...

www.ted.com...

Wow, thanks for those links. Much appreciated!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Semper

Funny My girls hate regular stuffing too...yeah pecky eaters, but if I stuffed with crabmeat, they'd eat it so I am thinking of trying that.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Yep....

Pop the end pieces out and carve a little cavity..

I like using the big ones, makes for less work, but there is no reason you can't use the small ones as well...

Semper

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by Chevalerous

hope you know what your doing/have an indeficiation book. theres a lot of dangerous ones, also dont pick any that bruise blue

[edit on 24-5-2009 by MR BOB]

Yeah of course! I have been picking them all my life, since I was a child with my parents in the woods!

I have taken Courses! and I always bring a great big indificiation book with me whilst collecting them in the woods!

And then I also check them once more, while I'm cleaning them at the kitchen table!

This is like some wierd nerd hobby I have! - fresh air - walking in the woods picking mushrooms

[edit on 24-5-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Yum yum. I love Mushrooms as do my kids.

Mushroom hunting is something I love to do as well....here in the prairies you can get some good "Oyster's from Cowpie" lol

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Yes, I had heard in general that the darker mushrooms were like antioxidants.

I like mushrooms stuffed with turkey bacon and cream cheese. I also like to eat them sauteed with a lot of things-creamed spinach, salmon, you're making me hungry.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
There is much controversy here. Although I love mushrooms and hope this is good advice, I'm not so sure. There has been much discussion of a cytokine storm that occurs with this virus.

Cytokine storm

When the immune system is fighting pathogens, cytokines signal immune cells such as T-cells and macrophages to travel to the site of infection. In addition, cytokines activate those cells, stimulating them to produce more cytokines. Normally, this feedback loop is kept in check by the body. However, in some instances, the reaction becomes uncontrolled, and too many immune cells are activated in a single place. The precise reason for this is not entirely understood but may be caused by an exaggerated response when the immune system encounters a new and highly pathogenic invader. Cytokine storms have potential to do significant damage to body tissues and organs.[citation needed] If a cytokine storm occurs in the lungs, for example, fluids and immune cells such as macrophages may accumulate and eventually block off the airways, potentially resulting in death.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
thnx for the heads up , I'm gonna buy some yummy portobello next time I go shopping . Though those babies on the barbie and with some shrimp .

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by gusan

www.fungi.com...

www.ted.com...

Be careful about buying mushroom harvesting units on the internet as a lot of them seem to be scams that set up take orders then disapears with money, that's why a lot of them won't take credit cards or use a secure service. It took me a while to find one that wasn't a scam. Do research about the company before buying online.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Thats no wonder scientists believe that, since mushrooms (fungi) are also a form of mold (mould).

They are, moulds that is, natural antibiotics.

It seems very logical to me to take a purely biological substance against flu instead of chemically in a lab prepareted antibiotic in an ampul.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Mushrooms are powerful for all health issues! They can even destroy tumors.

If you can, see a qualified Chinese herbologist for mushroom concoctions- they have helped keep us healthy (we started after we were both sick a few months ago and so far, so good).

Great topic!

<<   2 >>

join