It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHO: Swine flu vaccine to take months to produce

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Mid July is a long way away. Fortunatly we have caught a bit of a break and this strain is not as deadly as others have been. However, it is spreading pretty rapidly.

GENEVA – Drug manufacturers won't be able to start making a swine flu vaccine until mid-July at the earliest, months later than previous predictions, the World Health Organization said Tuesday.

The disclosure that making a swine flu vaccine is proving more difficult than experts first thought came as U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and WHO chief Dr. Margaret Chan met Tuesday with representatives from up to 30 pharmaceutical companies to discuss the subject.

Health officials from around the world are attending WHO's annual meeting in Geneva this week to discuss the outbreak that has infected 9,830 people in over 40 countries, killing 79 of them.
news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I doubt we will see a vaccine until very late in the year.

Most likely they will wait a while longer to see if the death toll rises, if it does rise they will push for a vaccine, if it doesn't then they may just take a bit of time.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
this strain is not as deadly as others have been.

1918 flu started mild ... took a few months off for the summer .. then came back in the fall mutated and deadly.

If they do get a vaccination from this strain I don't know if it will do any good. This thing mutates. I'm not a virologist ... but from what I read it's hard for the doctors to 'catch' the right virus strain each year for the regular flu shot let alone this new Swine Flu.

join