It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge rules family can't refuse chemo for boy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Judge rules family can't refuse chemo for boy

www.sltrib.com

A Minnesota judge ruled Friday that a 13-year-old cancer patient must be evaluated by a doctor to determine if the boy would benefit from restarting chemotherapy over his parents' objections.

In a 58-page ruling, Brown County District Judge John Rodenberg found that Daniel Hauser has been "medically neglected" by his parents, Colleen and Anthony Hauser, and was in need of child protection services.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
After seeing what chemo can do to people, and knowing about all the possible alternative treatments that are suppressed in this country I find this to be very disturbing. Are we really so far into a Nanny/Fascist state that they can start telling people what medical treatment they have to take, what is next forced vaccinations?

More and more it seems like child protective services is just a way for the government to take away all your parental rights and let the government raise your kids.

www.sltrib.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
The tumor had shrunk a little after the first chemo treatment.

Since undergoing these natural remedies the tumor has grown. So its obvious that it isn't working. I'm not for the government (state or federal) telling us how to raise our children, but somebody had to step in and help get this kid some help.

The kid has a learning disablility and can't read. How much does this kid really understand about what is wrong with him? How can he understand enough about cancer and various treatments to make this decision on his own as the parents claimed?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
What has happened with the numerous relatives in our family that got cancer and received chemo is, they all died. The only ones that survived didn't receive the chemo. Initially the chemo produced a cancer free state in the others as well. But it destroyed their immune systems. And then the cancer came back and swept through them like wildfire. Every single one of them that got chemo.
I would never allow my child to recieve chemotherapy and would make the doctor know 100% that he is not going to gamble with the life of my son unless he is willing to guarantee nothing like what I just described would occur. Because anyone that harmed my child or forced a dangerous treatment would suffer from that every single day of their lives. I would never allow the doctor to enjoy one second of his existence.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

That is sad.

What about all the people who have had chemo and gone on to enjoy the rest of their lives cancer free?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

I have to agree, I wouldn't want anyone to make such a decision for my child. If they did, well that wouldn't be something they'd remember fondly. I've only known one person to receive chemo and live. I think chemo is the killer. A star for you and the OP.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
It depends to a certain degree on what you know about your families history and immune system, which is why a stranger, like this doctor and judge are not the only ones qualified to make such a decision. The family would have a lot of inside information, that is relevant in this case. In my family, for example, with my children, who like that side of the family, and myself are sick all the time and exibit poor immune systems, chemo would be the last choice on earth.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by mystiq]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

I agree. That is why doctors build up your immune system before shocking it with chemo.

Cancer won't go away with a poor immune system. Chemo or not.

You have a good arguement for your family not to undergo chemo. The parents in this case said it was the childs decision and the treatment he was undergoing was obviously wasn't working.

He underwent one round of chemo, he reacted well to the treatment, even saw some improvement and stopped.

The treatment he underwent afterwards hasn't been working and the cancer has grown.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Immune systems are inherited and unless we have some miraculous hidden technology or medical science that is only available to the super rich suddenly coming down the pipes for us, that would not have helped my relatives, a very health conscious group who take many supplements and many now have such so many more options for their immune systems. Chemo isn't a one size fits all, and adjustments can be made so it will work. For some families its just a death sentence, though initially it kills the cancer for a short time.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
My Mother died of Cancer and she did the chemo thing... said it was the worst experience of her life. Said it was as if your bones were on fire for hours while you vomited uncontrollably for just as long and that was just what i was told. I would rather take my chance with a Vodoo dance and some firewater. Most cancer meds are just expensive crap to milk the dieing of the last of their money. The cancer in the medical systems of the world are just as bad as what people get.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
I agree. That is why doctors build up your immune system before shocking it with chemo.

Not all doctors build up your immune system before you receive Chemotherapy, at least mine didn't.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I am sure that most of you are quite happy with the legal precedence this sets, correct?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Once again I agree.

But it was working for this child. The question isn't was it harmful to him or not, because it obviously wasn't hurting him.

The boy made the decision not to undergo treatment on his own, as the parents had said. He has a learning disability and cannot read. How is he able to make an educated choice?

If the medicine he had chosen had worked for him had worked then I would be upset that the court forced him to undergo the chemo.

But it isn't working.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Well said Mystiq!

I recommend you this link about cancer :
germannewmedicine.ca...

This one for kids:

www.pilhar.com...

Happy.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Happyface]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

They may have determined you had a strong immune system through the tests they gave you.

Look this isn't a case of the parents not wanting the chemo because it was just making the child sicker. It was working, even after the first treatment he showed improvement.

The case is that the child, who is 13, illiterate and has a learning disability had chosen not to do the treatment and go with natural medicine.

As I said, if the natural medicine had made any improvement then I would be upset, but it hasn't done anything. The chemo showed immediate improvement in the size of the tumor. They stopped the chemo and the tumor has grown while taking this alternative medicine.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Listen to the stories of people who have been on chemo therapy, no one has the right to force that pain on anyone else no matter what. It doesn't matter if he has a learning disability we do not rule by who has the highest IQ score. Would you give up your rights and let someone make all your decisions just because they are considered to be smarter than you? It's his body his life he made the choice, I don't understand why anyone else can fail to understand that. Have you not considered maybe the reason he doesn't want chemo therapy again is because it was the worst experience in his life whether it shrank his tumor or not?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
This pig of a judge is the exact type of person who will someday soon order compulsory vaccinations at the barrel of a gun. It's also become standard procedure in the US to destroy families and steal children away from parents for the slightest trumped up and totally bogus charges. The exact same thing happened in Hitler's Germany. In fact, the entire architecture of policy being followed in the USA (especially in the past couple of years) is taken directly from the blueprint that Hitler was told to operate from. It's an exact copy. What the hell, it worked so well 75 years ago, it should work today, right?

It's time folks! We have to take control and throw these pigs out for good. Burn them all first, then throw them out.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I was trying to avoid posting too much here, seeing as I had already posted on the other thread for this topic, that's why I didn't write any more after my own experience of the doctor not treating my immune system first before Chemotherapy. I'll just copy what I posted in the other thread.

As someone who underwent chemotherapy and radiation treatments for Hodgekin's Lymphoma, as Daniel did, I can understand why he wouldn't want to undergo any more treatments. I think that if I hadn't been in such a "haze" of sorts from even the first treatment, I would have probably refused further treatments (however I was 14/15 at the time, so I know my parents would have made me take the treatments).

What really gets me is that the state is accusing the parents of neglect, when they are letting him make his own decisions. I can see how it would be considered neglect, but at the same time, I have to wonder where the line is drawn for when a parent's decision is neglect, and when its just being a parent. I think that CPS was set up to be a good thing, but at some point it branched into something so, how do I say this, "out of control," that it is now nearly impossible for a parent to do their job as a parent without fear of having their child/ren taken away.

I think that the parents should be allowed to let Daniel make his own decision, regardless of how unpopular it is. Yes, he is only 13 years old, but at the same time, he is the one having to go through this. Not the CPS workers, not the Judge, hell, not even his parents (although they are having to deal with watching their child suffer). Regardless of his age, he needs to be the one to make the decision, because it will ultimately affect him the most (with again the exception of his parents, but in a completely different way).

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Okay for those who see this as wrong.

This kids tumor is growing, if it continues to grow and spread he will die. The treatment he was undergoing might have been painless, but it was not working. They might as well let the kid shoot himself in the head, after all it will be painless compared to what he will suffer if he doesn't get the treatment that he does need.

I am not okay with parents who let their child needlessly die and that is what would have happened if someone hadn't stepped in.

Hopefully the tumor hasn't grown to much and he is able to make a complete recovery.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
pretty soon I will have to ask a judge if I can eat bacon, or smoke, or do anything that I want to. If the treatment was 100% going to save his life then I agree, since it is not it is none of the anyones business but the parents.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join