It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M$ releases windows 7 RC to the public

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
OK, this is the official Relese Canidate of windows 7.

IO know there have been several beta's so far...

M$ (M$=Microsoft) says that the RC has "the full" complament of final edition programs and features.

PEOPLE, THIS IS STILL A BETA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do NOT use this on a primary computer.

Use this on a spare computer or a spare drive on your computer.
(I don't recomend using a seperate partion on your primary drive)

Also, this is M$, so you MUST have a hotmail account as well as use Internet Explorer to download it.

It is about 2.3 gig's in size, so only dsl or above need apply.
(can you amagine 2.3 gig at dialup speed???
:!

M$

(Go down to the bottom of the page for both 32 bit as well as 64 bit versions.)

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Also, this is M$, so you MUST have a hotmail account as well as use Internet Explorer to download it.
Not exactly, what we need is a Windows Live account, not a Hotmail account.

Also, I am downloading it using Firefox, just to see if what you said was true, I already have it installed on a virtual machine

Opera, Google Chrome and Safari did not worked.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Not exactly, what we need is a Windows Live account, not a Hotmail account.

Also, I am downloading it using Firefox, just to see if what you said was true, I already have it installed on a virtual machine

Opera, Google Chrome and Safari did not worked.

Technically, you are correct.

I felt it would be simpler to just have people make a hotmail account and use it, but as you will.

I have it on a separate disk, personally.

Funny you mention it loading in a virtual environment.

Win 7 will have a native virtual XP environment available.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

I have found one interesting fact about windows 7.

It seems to be accurate about where and how it loads applications and data.

Case and point, a 7 gig game (yeah, really) loaded and only had about 150 megs fragmented. In XP it would have been 5 gigs of fragments at the very least.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Out of interest, how much RAM does your Windows 7 run in when it first boots? I had it installed for a few days, but finding it slower than the Beta, reinstalled XP.

I also had a couple of really annoying bugs, it would occasionally freeze up, and sometimes all my USB systems would totally stop. That included when videos were running off my external USB hard disk, so that made me stop using it.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
Out of interest, how much RAM does your Windows 7 run in when it first boots? I had it installed for a few days, but finding it slower than the Beta, reinstalled XP.

I also had a couple of really annoying bugs, it would occasionally freeze up, and sometimes all my USB systems would totally stop. That included when videos were running off my external USB hard disk, so that made me stop using it.

My spec's are"
Q6600 CPU
8800GT (OC'd)
4 gigs ram
Asus p5q

I also am running it on my laptop
dual 2.0 gig cpu's
4 gigs ram

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Windows 7 is GREAT! I've been playing with it for a while through a corporate beta license. I will second Armap (forgive the incorrect capitalization!) and say to run it through a VM. If you need something quick, easy, and free, try VirtualPC.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

My spec's are"
Q6600 CPU
8800GT (OC'd)
4 gigs ram
Asus p5q

I also am running it on my laptop
dual 2.0 gig cpu's
4 gigs ram

Ah, you misunderstood my question. How much RAM does it use when it is first loaded up, ie, after login? Mine used about 600MB, which seemed a bit high, out of 1.4GB.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Well I have been running the 64 bit version since the day it was available on my main (and only) computer - I even went around my dad's and put it on his only computer - he was running a very dodgy version of XP! (no idea how that got on his hard drive!)

I'm happy with it - I back up anything important any way - and I'm gonna dual boot this machine soon again when I get round to it.

And it's a great trial period - something like 13 months... then it starts with the bi hourly shut downs... Maybe some one will come up with a way to work around that! - wonder what ridiculous price they will charge for this one? It seems t work very nicely on my set up... One thing though, I wont be able to run that XP virtual mode thingie apparently - I used a wee app I found on lifehacker to look at my processor (AMD +3800 dual core 64bit I think) and it don't seem to support it. Oh well, can't have everything.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Well I have been running the 64 bit version since the day it was available on my main (and only) computer - I even went around my dad's and put it on his only computer - he was running a very dodgy version of XP! (no idea how that got on his hard drive!)

I'm happy with it - I back up anything important any way - and I'm gonna dual boot this machine soon again when I get round to it.

And it's a great trial period - something like 13 months... then it starts with the bi hourly shut downs... Maybe some one will come up with a way to work around that! - wonder what ridiculous price they will charge for this one? It seems t work very nicely on my set up... One thing though, I wont be able to run that XP virtual mode thingie apparently - I used a wee app I found on lifehacker to look at my processor (AMD +3800 dual core 64bit I think) and it don't seem to support it. Oh well, can't have everything.

I understand it is a good os.
I also am running it on my laptop and desktop.

The reason I said to not use as main rig is expect reliability.
this "IS" beta software, much less, M$.

Most people don't have full backup of all their data and would be very amiss if they had a complete failure.

Clearly it does not apply to strong power users who are willing and capable to rebuild at will.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

PEOPLE, THIS IS STILL A BETA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really. Windows 7 is essentially debugged Vista. There is nothing much different requiring Beta version in its true meaning.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
An interesting note,

The only software, to date, that has not played well with win 7 is firewalls.

In fact all programs I have that i got with xp wok just fine with win 7.

In fact, the beta drivers for sound/video are also working perfectly.

Yep, I have loaded and played far car 1&2, fear, dead space, hellsgate, london, crysis.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Just an interesting note.

I just installed diablo 2 expansion pack on windows 7, and it works just fine.

The regular diablo 2 would not run, just to be clear.

I have it set at max resolution (800X640)....no, seriously.:shk:

This was out in like 2000 or so (it runs on everything back to win95)

I have set my antialysing @Q16 and antostropic @16.

It actually doesn't look bad, however....there is always a however....
It will not fill my 22inch monitor. The sides are cut off (black).

This is because when this game was made, monitors were a different ratio (LxW).

I am actually playing it and up to level 16 or so.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
If you guys want the look of vista/w7 and love your XP you can always download (for free) windows transformation packs at windowsxlive.com

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
So far I have been quite impressed with 7, it actually runs better than the factory Vista install on my laptop and so far just about every program has worked, still haven't loaded WoW up yet on it, that could be the deciding factor on whether or not I eventually move the main desktop over to 7

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Would win7 affect the games you play? for example would the games frame rate be slower than if you played the game on xp?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Would win7 affect the games you play? for example would the games frame rate be slower than if you played the game on xp?

depends on your rig.

Like Vista, I STRONGLY suggest you have a quad-core (hyperthreading is especially well used here) and 4 gigs of ram.

It is a heavier load than XP, but offers DX-11 graphic's, if you got the vid-card

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Although not the most demanding of games, Unreal Tournament 2004 was faster on Vista than on XP, on my old (and now retired) Athlon 1900+ with just 768MB, I haven't tried it on Windows 7 (I have in only on a virtual machine).

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Unrelated to OS or it's needs, I have upgraded processor from intel q6600 (2.4 gig) to
q6550 (3.0 gig) 1333 FSB.

All other hardware is the same.

I am currently running X-Stress test (it run's all 4 cores @100%.

It is actually working on a math equation with 9 trillion digits.

By using "speed" i see that now my cores are running from 25-35 C (lets see after 1 hour).

I MUST note, for those who don't know I am on water cooling for the cpu, fan set on middle.

[edit on 5/30/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If windows7 isn't a conspiracy and sham I don't know what is. It is STILL the Vista core. It is basically a Vista service pack. They screwed up vista to no end and might be close to fixing it but will charge us for it. I uninstalled Vista a while back because it was total crap. I now run Ubuntu and dual boot to XP SP3 for gaming. Ubuntu has been everything I ever wanted Vista to be aside from gaming and a few graphics apps. I figure XP will last me until Linux gaming gets somewhere -either that or a console. I will never buy another msft product again after my vista experience. A friend at work has Win7 on his system and the aero interface makes me want to hurl ugh. I'm not a fan of OSX either. I think the future is Linux. Open source FTW.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join