It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist see this flu strain as mild

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This is why I said don't panic. I see Biden and Obama with more alarming rhetoric and that can only mean one thing, government manipulation. They want to use this crisis to serve their purpose.

Please don't panic. Take precautions but don't go overboard.

Here's the article:

Scientists see this flu strain as relatively mild

Genetic data indicate this outbreak won't be as deadly as that of 1918, or even the average winter.

As the World Health Organization raised its infectious disease alert level Wednesday and health officials confirmed the first death linked to swine flu inside U.S. borders, scientists studying the virus are coming to the consensus that this hybrid strain of influenza -- at least in its current form -- isn't shaping up to be as fatal as the strains that caused some previous pandemics.

In fact, the current outbreak of the H1N1 virus, which emerged in San Diego and southern Mexico late last month, may not even do as much damage as the run-of-the-mill flu outbreaks that occur each winter without much fanfare.

"Let's not lose track of the fact that the normal seasonal influenza is a huge public health problem that kills tens of thousands of people in the U.S. alone and hundreds of thousands around the world," said Dr. Christopher Olsen, a molecular virologist who studies swine flu at the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine in Madison.

His remarks Wednesday came the same day Texas authorities announced that a nearly 2-year-old boy with the virus had died in a Houston hospital Monday.

"Any time someone dies, it's heartbreaking for their families and friends," Olsen said. "But we do need to keep this in perspective."

www.latimes.com...

I REPEAT:

"Any time someone dies, it's heartbreaking for their families and friends," Olsen said. "But we do need to keep this in perspective."

Don't let the government use fear.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Thank you thank you thank you for posting this! I just came across the LA Times article myself...this needs to be picked up by all MSM.

I was about to post a thread myself, but saw that you put this one up 5 minutes ago.

Please people, STAR and FLAG this one. Out of the 280+ posts regarding the swine flu, this is one of the most important.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by platosallegory

Its obvious that people that are getting infected here in the US are surviving, in Mexico the lack of the nations readiness for a pandemic should be a major factor to why they have more deaths.

Still people as with the seasonal flu will die as more people gets infected, but the hype that we had for the last few days is nothing but media circus.

The WHO raising the levels for the global status is actually a way to release funds from more fluent nations to help those that are not as prepare to handle an epidemic.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elepheagle
Thank you thank you thank you for posting this! I just came across the LA Times article myself...this needs to be picked up by all MSM.

I was about to post a thread myself, but saw that you put this one up 5 minutes ago.

Please people, STAR and FLAG this one. Out of the 280+ posts regarding the swine flu, this is one of the most important.

Exactly, I'm watching the news and it's panic when talking about the swine flu.

You need to take precaustions but this could be a mild flu outbreak that's being blown out of proportion by governments. It's easy to control folks thru fear.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Well The 9/11 only could work for so long until people got desensitized and so was the Bin Laden memos.

People tend to have short memories but darn I remember how we were reminded of bin Laden and 9/11 almost every week.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
S&F

People have got to look at the facts and breath, instead of listening to whatever junk the MSM is telling them. Its not the end of the world, its not even a bad flu outbreak in perspective.

You are more likely to die in a car accident then the swine flu. Everybody needs to chill out, and realize its only "bad" in your mind because other people are telling you that.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'd prefer to hear the same comments come out of the mouth of a WHO spokesperson before I begin to feel less tense about all this. The article doesn't really explain who these scientists are, who they work for, how much access they have had to all the available data in order to assert these statements as fact, etc.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Seriously, I've had the flu many times. It sucks, you feel like your going to die, and then you get over it.(most people) I'm not afraid of the swine flu.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
I'd prefer to hear the same comments come out of the mouth of a WHO spokesperson before I begin to feel less tense about all this. The article doesn't really explain who these scientists are, who they work for, how much access they have had to all the available data in order to assert these statements as fact, etc.

Yes it does and thousands of people get flu each year.

Of course you will not feel less tens because the government and the MSM doesn't want you too.

"Let's not lose track of the fact that the normal seasonal influenza is a huge public health problem that kills tens of thousands of people in the U.S. alone and hundreds of thousands around the world," said Dr. Christopher Olsen, a molecular virologist who studies swine flu at the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine in Madison.

Here's another quote from the article:

"This virus doesn't have anywhere near the capacity to kill like the 1918 virus," which claimed an estimated 50 million victims worldwide, said Richard Webby, a leading influenza virologist at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes of Health published genetic sequence data Monday morning of flu samples isolated from patients in California and Texas, and thousands of scientists immediately began downloading the information. Comparisons to known killers -- such as the 1918 strain and the highly lethal H5N1 avian virus -- have since provided welcome news.

"There are certain characteristics, molecular signatures, which this virus lacks," said Peter Palese, a microbiologist and influenza expert at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York. In particular, the swine flu lacks an amino acid that appears to increase the number of virus particles in the lungs and make the disease more deadly.

www.latimes.com...

Just because it doesn't come from Obama or Biden doesn't mean it isn't true. These scientist have studied the virus and this is what they do.

Of course your not going to hear it from the media because this is not the narrative the government wants.

Also, like someone said earlier the WHO wants money. They know how to play politics as well. They go to level 5 then more funds are coming their way.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by platosallegory]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I would trust a scientist who specializes in microbiology over any politician on this matter. Honestly, I would trust them over a politician on any matter. At least most scientists are looking out for the people and not trying to further an agenda.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well I think it is still early days and until more of the same information starts coming to light it would be prudent not to be complacent. As dozens of people keep pointing out , this is a new virus , not seasonal flu. I am quite wise to ploys and plays and tactics and motivations but do not believe this ALL boils down to some covert agenda the WHO has. There have also been numerous comments from Dr's, nurses and others on the "inside" that totally support the validity of us being at phase 5 and facing phase 6 . Either they are all lying and so is the WHO or the situation IS potentially extremely serious. I think at the moment there is too little to go on but it's worth preparing "just in case".

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Of course it's worth taking precautions, I said that and so has others. There's just not a need to panic and go overboard because the MSM is giving you alarming news every 5 minutes.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I don't read MSM . I find the news comes in alot faster here on ATS so this is where I've been stationing my butt for days to keep on top of the info as it comes in. You get all sides of the issue brought to light here and that's how I prefer it, I'm not the type to believe everything I read or watch on TV

top topics

join