It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maya nut changes lives while aiding the rain forest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Maya nut changes lives while aiding the rain forest

www.cnn.com

FLORES, Guatemala (CNN) -- In the rain forests of Central America grows the nutrient-rich Maya nut. The marble-sized seed can be prepared to taste like mashed potatoes, chocolate or coffee. To those who stumble upon the nuts on the ground, they're free for the taking.

With one tree able to produce as much as 400 pounds of food a year, using the Maya nut prevents rain forest clear-cutting to harvest other foods and increases populations' food supplies. Dried, the Maya nut can be stored for up to five years -- a lifeline for regions with frequent drought.

The Maya nut has high levels of nutrients including protein, calcium, fiber, iron and vitamins A, E, C and B.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
these sound delicious and anything that can feed people who need nutritious food while promoting conservation and reforestation is a plus in my book.

What is Maya Nut?
Fresh Maya Nut seed is harvested off the ground. It is bright green and the size of a macadamia nut.

www.theequilibriumfund.org...

sadly i couldnt find anyplace online that sells maya nuts.
can anyone help me? my kid and i are crazy about pistachios and cashews and her and i would love to try these out.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Hello, and this sounds interesting. Found a site for Brosimum alicastrum which is also called the Mayan breadnut located at www.tradewindsfruit.com... And they sell the seeds, hopes this helps.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dcmb1490

thanks for your reply. are the seeds the actual nut that you eat or seeds to plant the tree?

i have found maya breadnut flour online but i would really just like to eat the nut as it is found off the tree.

maya breadnut flour
www.mayancafedemojo.com...

[edit on 17-4-2009 by elitegamer23]

top topics

join