It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizzare Cloud In Saudi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
This is a pretty strange looking cloud formation. I think it may be a cloud formation called a pileous cloud, but I have never seen one quite this dramatic. I am wondering if this could possibly be a sign of a possible pending earthquake! Remember the strange colored cloud formation in China right before their major Earthquake?

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Strange cloud formation indeed. I've seen plenty of 'thunder boomers' before down here in the southwest but nothing quite spectacular as that. I wonder since the sun is directly behind it, if it's just the light passing thru the water crystals whish we would not normally be able to see otherwise. Like the 'boomer' to the right.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Yep, definently a pileus cloud, with iridescence in it, causing the rainbow like clouds. The rainbow effect is caused by sunlight being refracted and diffracted by ice crystals (also occurs in mid level clouds with supercolled water droplets) in the top of the cumulonimbus.

Its a common misconception that a cloud with rainbow-like colours are earthquake clouds. The real earthquake clouds are caused by a release of water vapour from the earth, and do not reach the altitude at which iridescence occurs in clouds.

www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
that is one pretty cloud makes me wish i was there with a nice camera.

don't think its anything out of the ordinary.

but i doubt its to long before someone starts screaming h.a.r..coff...coff..p

lolz

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Yep, definently a pileus cloud, with iridescence in it, causing the rainbow like clouds.

I was going to say that

I don't have anything so spectacular in my collection, but there's a nice strip of iridescence here:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ba8836b01a8c.jpg[/atsimg]

Incidently, if you want to see more iridescence, wear sunglasses. If you know where to look (around the edge of clouds near the sun) you'll find it's actually quite common - but usually too faint to easily see without polaroid lenses.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
this thread shud totally get renamed to pretty cloud video in saudi

nice picture b.t.w shows off the effect. this just happened on a bigger scale and the camera man was just in the right spot for the light to illuminate it from behind.

like i said before wish i was there with a camera.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I know this is an atmospheric discussion, but it made me think of this:

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
May want to check out this thread, which is already discussing it

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join