It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you help me settle my astral projection fears?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I have wanted to try to astral project for a while, but I have a couple fears that have been holding me back. Can you tell me if my fears are warranted? I realize that some of my fears sound silly, but please bear with me. (OBE = out of body experience)

1. I know that if a person wanted to, they could sever their ties to their physical bodies while they are having an OBE. While I may want to have an OBE, I am not ready to give up on being alive. My fear is that some subconscious part of me will love being in the astral realm so much that it may want to stay, without the agreement of my conscious mind. In other words, can I accidentally choose to stay in the astral realm?
2. Will I still be able to enjoy the physical world, or may it seem boring, meaningless, etc. compared to my astral world?
3. Will my performance in school suffer? Will I become less intelligent?
4. Will I still be able to fully love another human being?
5. Will I be in complete control? For example, if I wanted to go to the jungle, could I go there or could I be pulled into some nightmarish land against my will?
6. Will I suffer in the afterlife because I astral projected?

If I think of anything else, I’ll post it. I want to thank you all in advance for helping me out. However, please dont post a response if you just want to scare me and are just making up answers. It would be great if some experienced astral projectors could respond.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by mjl_says]

I want to thank everyone that has already answered. I'll definitely think very hard about your replies. But I thought of another question that I would like your opinion on.

1. Will astral projection change who I am? Will my personality be affected? I just finished reading a book on OBEs and the writer remarked that after he realized that everyone had control over their life, he felt apathetic towards other people. While I understand that having an OBE is a very spiritual and sometimes even life changing experience, I am afraid that it will change who I am.

Thanks for putting up with me!!

[edit on 14-4-2009 by mjl_says]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Astral projection is not something to be played with. It seems you know little about it so may I suggest you do some study and research to answer your questions instead of asking for advice on something so important on a website. You should start out with meditation and become comfortable in an altered state before you even think of this. I have meditated for years and my first successful AP was far more than I bargained for. I had a kundalini experience that was no joke and it took me nearly an hour to get myself back together. Please do your homework and start out on this path slowly. Good luck

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I have a few questions I would like to add to that. I myself have wanted to have an OBE but these are the things that I'd really like to know:

1. What if something happens to my body while I am out of it? Am I stuck in that state forever, like some doomed ghost that wanders the hall of house it can't escape?

2. Can I come across others during an OBE that are also astral projecting?

3. If I can come across others (that are hopefully friendly), what about negative entities? Is there anything on the "astral plane" that can hurt my astral self, in turn hurting my physical self?

Those are the types of things I'd really like to know.

I think I actually did have an OBE once but I'm not sure if I was just daydreaming or it was an actual OBE. I was sitting at my house meditating when I found myself on what I believe (please don't call me crazy) might have been Mars. I just remember seeing loads of pictures of the land scape and it was very much like that in my OBE/daydream (the only exception was the sky. In all the NASA pics of Mars the sky is a red tint but in my "experience" it was blue. The dirt was that red color though). For some reason in my heart I knew it was Mars. I can remember feeling the wind on my face and even the smell of the dirt catching the wind. I remember opening my eyes and seeing that I was sitting on what looked to be a small cliff. I looked up at the sky and then I "woke up." The smell of the dirt lingered.

Can you even experience that type of thing while astral projecting (as in feeling the wind and smelling the dirt)? If not I guess I just slipped into a daydream. Like I said, I'm not sure it was an actual OBE, I would like it to have been. I always felt extremely close to the planet Mars and that experience just made me feel even closer.

I think the OP brings up some good questions. I'll be looking foward to answers along with him.

[EDITED] for clarity

[edit on 4/14/2009 by HarlieQuinn]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
1. I don't think you can stay for as long as you want. Mostly because everyone that I know that had OBE got back into their bodies without them wanting to. I don't think that should be a problem.
2. I don't think so. I think you will have something new in your life instead of changing the way you live.
3. I haven't heard of that one before, but I doubt you will do bad in school for having an OBE. I doubt you will get less intelligent.
4. I don't think it will change you that much. Having an OBE changes how you view your life in some ways but it won't change that much, but the changes are all positive from what I know.
5. You will have control on most of it. Afterall, it's still you who is out of your body, no one is controlling you.
6. I don't know about that but I doubt it.

I think you are adding fears. To have an OBE you have to lose all of your fears and let go.

You should do it when you feel that you are prepared, when you feel the time is right.

I recommend you to read:

theRiverGoddess' thread

and listen to:

CavemanDD's podcast

You should also read books about it, I recommend Robert Monroes'.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by danielsil18]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I was sitting at my house meditating when I found myself on what I believe (please don't call me crazy) might have been Mars. I just remember seeing loads of pictures of the land scape and it was very much like that in my OBE/daydream (the only exception was the sky. In all the NASA pics of Mars the sky is a red tint but in my "experience" it was blue. The dirt was that red color though). For some reason in my heart I knew it was Mars. I can remember feeling the wind on my face and even the smell of the dirt catching the wind. I remember opening my eyes and seeing that I was sitting on what looked to be a small cliff. I looked up at the sky and then I "woke up." The smell of the dirt lingered.

That's interesting - I had a similar experience but it was more like a lucid dream (it was at night). I was standing on the surface of an alien planet, which for some reason I thought was Venus, and I remember standing in the middle of a large clearing on the top of a hill, with a small forest of strange trees around me. The ground was dry-ish dirt, but had a fine vine-like growth in patches all around. A cold breeze was blowing from my right, and I still remember how vivid the smell was. I could hear some animal noises far in the distance, and at the bottom of the valley in front of me I saw what looked like some huts. I think the sky was a soft purple/pink, but it's hard to remember all the details. The actual senses of the "dream" have faded over time, but I still remember 100% how strikingly real it seemed when I woke up.

Anyway I don't know what it was, but I always figured it was just one really strange vivid dream.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by ac500]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
You are right friend, you should be somewhat afraid, and if you are, then we can't help you get rid of those fears, you need to be at ease yourself.

There is no ammount of advice that I or anybody else can give you. It's a personal experience that is very unique to each individual. I suggest doing some Chakra meditiation, ALOT of it. Get comfortable with that feeling first, then you should move on to higher things.

It's not as dangerous as people make it out to be. If you have a solid mind you will always find your way back into your body.

Just take your time, don't rush it, or you'll end up having a negative experience, or inviting negative entities into your life.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ac500

I was sitting at my house meditating when I found myself on what I believe (please don't call me crazy) might have been Mars. I just remember seeing loads of pictures of the land scape and it was very much like that in my OBE/daydream (the only exception was the sky. In all the NASA pics of Mars the sky is a red tint but in my "experience" it was blue. The dirt was that red color though). For some reason in my heart I knew it was Mars. I can remember feeling the wind on my face and even the smell of the dirt catching the wind. I remember opening my eyes and seeing that I was sitting on what looked to be a small cliff. I looked up at the sky and then I "woke up." The smell of the dirt lingered.

That's interesting - I had a similar experience but it was more like a lucid dream (it was at night). I was standing on the surface of an alien planet, which for some reason I thought was Venus, and I remember standing in the middle of a large clearing on the top of a hill, with a small forest of strange trees around me. The ground was dry-ish dirt, but had a fine vine-like growth in patches all around. A cold breeze was blowing from my right, and I still remember how vivid the smell was. I could hear some animal noises far in the distance, and at the bottom of the valley in front of me I saw what looked like some huts. I think the sky was a soft purple/pink, but it's hard to remember all the details. The actual senses of the "dream" have faded over time, but I still remember 100% how strikingly real it seemed when I woke up.

Anyway I don't know what it was, but I always figured it was just one really strange vivid dream.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by ac500]

It's nice to know that someone else has experienced this. I've tried recreating the situation to get back to that place but I guess I was just really in tune that night, letting things in without really trying. It was so amazing for me, feeling the wind and smelling the dirt. I felt like I was home haha.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mjl_says

1. I know that if a person wanted to, they could sever their ties to their physical bodies while they are having an OBE. While I may want to have an OBE, I am not ready to give up on being alive. My fear is that some subconscious part of me will love being in the astral realm so much that it may want to stay, without the agreement of my conscious mind. In other words, can I accidentally choose to stay in the astral realm?

You can not sever ties with your physical body. This has been tried by one of the best, Robert Bruce, and proven that it is not possible. You can not choose to stay in the astral realm. You will always go back to your body.

2. Will I still be able to enjoy the physical world, or may it seem boring, meaningless, etc. compared to my astral world?

The physical world is just a different experience. You will find enjoyment in it as long as you keep the right attitude about it. There is a reason you have chosen to come to the 3rd dimensional world, so you might as well enjoy it as much as you can while you are here in this life.

3. Will my performance in school suffer? Will I become less intelligent?

Learning astral projection will probably expand your mind. This does not mean you will be smarter, but your mind will be more open. If anything you would just gain more knowledge, and therefore, be more intelligent.

4. Will I still be able to fully love another human being?

Love is a powerful thing. Your ability to love begins with being able to accept and love yourself, and nothing to do with astral projection.

5. Will I be in complete control? For example, if I wanted to go to the jungle, could I go there or could I be pulled into some nightmarish land against my will?

This is a complicated question. You can not control certain elements, but then there are elements you can control. Yes it is possible to visit a jungle if you wanted, but at first you need some practice. You could be presented with a nightmarish atmosphere, but do not worry about it.

6. Will I suffer in the afterlife because I astral projected?

These are not related. Astral projecting will not do anything to make you suffer in the afterlife.

1(7). Will astral projection change who I am? Will my personality be affected? I just finished reading a book on OBEs and the writer remarked that after he realized that everyone had control over their life, he felt apathetic towards other people. While I understand that having an OBE is a very spiritual and sometimes even life changing experience, I am afraid that it will change who I am.

I would say that astral projecting will change your outlook on things, but you still are who you are. Your personality may change in a sense that you might be more helpful to other people, or things like that. You will still be you though.

Some notes for you:

If you begin to feel vibrations, hear ringing or other noises, it is easy to lose your exit from your body. Try to simply observe these things, but not think or react to them.

When you achieve an OBE, thinking about your physical body will take you back to it and you will lose your OBE.

At first, just try to exit for a small period of time then go back to your body screaming at yourself to REMEMBER! People OBE all the time, but rarely remember it. The key is REMEMBER what you experience and learn techniques to remember as much as possible as often as possible.
It may take a lot of practice and use of many techniques before you achieve your first OBE. Many people have different methods that work for THEM, but you need to take what works for you and create your own method. Just keep at it and you will get there.

Your next set of questions:

1. What if something happens to my body while I am out of it? Am I stuck in that state forever, like some doomed ghost that wanders the hall of house it can't escape?

You will return to your body if something was happening. You will not be stuck outside of it. Your astral body is a "copy" of you. A ghost or other entity can not enter your body just because you are astral projecting.

2. Can I come across others during an OBE that are also astral projecting?

You WILL come across others. There are so many people having OBEs at any given time. Many people have no idea and will sometimes even look lost in the astral realm.

3. If I can come across others (that are hopefully friendly), what about negative entities? Is there anything on the "astral plane" that can hurt my astral self, in turn hurting my physical self?

Astral entities will be of all types. There are those that will do whatever they can to scare you. No matter what they do though, you will be okay. Just dont let them scare you, and practice creating defenses. You can imagine yourself with a big bat in your hand and you can start attacking an entity trying to mess with you. You can create, and you can do things like imagine yourself with a bubble around you that other entities can not penetrate. These are things you will practice using until you find what you like best.

Good luck

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by evo80

Thank you ^_^ for your response. It's nice to know there are people out there that are willing to help and not just leave people who don't really know what they are doing to themselves.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HarlieQuinn

No problem. We all need a little guidance throughout our lives. The internet is great for finding information about anything. You should do as much research as you feel you need, and there are many different stories and methods about OBEs out there. Some people to read about are Robert Bruce and Robert Monroe. Just google those names and you will have plenty of information to sift through. AstralDynamics.com is Robert's site and even has a forum you can sift through and post questions in. Here is the forum: forums.astraldynamics.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Listen, if you are having doubts or fears about doing this, maybe you should consider that its because deep down it is setting off some warning signs that you should listen to?

If you get that uneasy, uncomfortable feeling, its usually because its something you shouldnt be doing!!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mostlyspoons
Listen, if you are having doubts or fears about doing this, maybe you should consider that its because deep down it is setting off some warning signs that you should listen to?

If you get that uneasy, uncomfortable feeling, its usually because its something you shouldnt be doing!!

It is fear that allows us to be controlled. Fear is a natural reaction and those who can master their fear can experience wonderful things.

I think the fear is the body's natural reaction to something new. Do not allow fear to manipulate you into not trying to experience something. If it was bad, then nobody would want to do it.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

It is fear that allows us to be controlled. Fear is a natural reaction and those who can master their fear can experience wonderful things.

Ah yes, evo80,

"fear of the unknown" is looked upon as a primitive notion... One we must "surpass"

Fear of the unknown can be a survival apparatus, and has been pretty successful in ensuring our existance since long ago. What is TRULY dangerous and to be avoided is complete unquestioning TRUST of the unknown.

I would argue that BLIND FAITH of the unknown can more easily lead to your manipulation and control, not avoidance due to fear

We're not talking about jumping into the pool here! The spiritual realm shouldnt be taken so lightly that its become cool to detach your body from your spirit... Yeah and lets turn on the Large Hadron Collider too!!

Ciggarretes are bad, drinking is bad. If someone does something bad, that doesnt keep others from doing it. If lots of people are doing something, then you can usually assume that its wrong.

For the late great Mark Twain once said, "If ever I find myself on the side of majority, it is time to reform"

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mjl_says

Well lets see from my experiences; they're minor but they're still mine and I like them. I'm not dead yet from them so that's a good sign.

Assuming you did project and wanted to sever your cord you probably wouldn't mind if you succeeded. One of the things i noticed during my first was that I still existed. So "death" wasn't a big deal. I think i'm actually pretty stoked about the idea of dying and moving on, but I should probably do stuff while i'm still physical. I've chosen in my experiences when to let go of the astral experience and return to my body, but you can also just get pulled back in too. Both forms of existence are nice actually, so i doubt you'd subconsciously bump yourself off.

You'll still enjoy the physical realm, but you'll probably have the urge to go for another trip every now and again. You may even appreciate the physical world a little more. I sure do. I found the moment of leaving my body more exciting that actually being out and about, not that it wasn't amazing being astral though.

You shouldn't lose intelligence. You may gain "awareness" to other than what is considered normal, which i think is a huge bonus. My brain hasn't turned to moosh probably similar to how everyone else who has done it hasn't gone down to being a chimp.

Why wouldn't you be able to fully love another human being? I like the human species as a whole a lot more than i used to... damn depression. Being able to project I don't feel will have any bearing on your ability to connect with another person.

You'll be in control of yourself but maybe not so much your exact location as far as i can tell. I can't pass through walls all that well yet because of that whole physical matter mentality. But you can float, or walk, or stand around and stare at your hands. With practice things go better. I had no idea how to move my first time and I just floated in one spot pretty much shocked that I had succeeded. For you to end up in a "nightmarish land" you'd probably have to be so scared that you shouldn't try to project at that time. There's a lot of neat books available on it. I only used the internet before my first time and found books had a lot more info than just the web.

Will you suffer in the afterlife because you found out you could leave you body? Nah, you'll have a better idea of what to expect. Nobody is gonna yell at you for it. I've never been scolded while projecting. It seems to come down to a matter of free will from what I can gather, so no worries.

Oh, missed your addition. Yeah it'll probably change your personality, I assume for the better. It's not going to change "who you are" because who we are is a matter of our entire being. For the author to feel apathetic towards others, i'd assume that it's more of the idea of us being in control, but we sit around and think that our lives are matter of we have no choice, and if we screw up we're going straight to hell. That we have free will and accept that we have no will our our own... kinda like my brother who just walked in and out of the room and makes fun of me about this kind of stuff and is about 3 seconds away from a nervous breakdown. (I'm venting - can you tell?) Annnyway. Mine was a very spiritual moment in my life, not religious, just spiritual. I highly recommend astral projecting to my friends, not that it goes beyond a nudge to them.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Kiwiemperor]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I can't remeber how I did A.P. but you feel you wrists and ankles afterwards though, I was in a deep sleep (neditation) when it happened so unless you are meant to pass on, you'd be back in your own body in no time

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I've studied AP for a while and have successfully achieved it twice... both times by accident, never from when I've actually tried.

I agree with some other posts on here, you have to get over those fears yourself before you try, but I can also tell you from personal experience, those fears will PROBABLY disappear after you successfully AP for the first time, which will probably only last 20 seconds or so.

Some people on here disagree with me about certain stereotypes relating to APing, such as demonic possessions etc, but heres how I feel about it. While AP is not to be taken lightly, its a natural course for humans to take in opening their minds and reaching a higher consciousness. It is a natural ability we all posses, and as such, can ONLY be beneficial. Thats not to say that you might not SEE certain things that disturb you, but no harm can come to you, and I don't agree with you when you said people can cut their cord... I don't think thats possible, unless your an AP master and make that decision waaaaay down the road.

I wrote a pretty extensive thread covering the subject: Astral Projection Thread
Check it out. I think it may help.

I stick to my reasons in why AP is only a good thing, if you go about it in the right way. Prepare yourself mentally, and allow it to take time. I don;t care what anyone says, your not going to AP the first time by lying in your bed imagining your pulling yourself out of your body with a rope. Not gonna happen. Let it take time, and use that time to prepare your mind. Every day, ask yourself if your awake. Know where and who you are at all times of the day. Soon, you'll start asking yourself in your sleep (dreams) and become aware that you are indeed sleeping... which is the first step.

Take a look at that thread I linked, and if you have ANY questions on the subject, PLEASE let me know. Ask here, or U2U me if I don't respond in a couple of days. I love helping out on the subject and wish everyone was so open minded and ready to try this amazing ability we posses.

Is Astral Projection dangerous?
Samael Aun Weor: It seems to me that to become cognizant of one’s own natural phenomena can never be dangerous; one must become cognizant of the food that one eats, of what one drinks, of the state in which one’s health is and also of the process of astral projection that occurs in any living creature.
SOURCE

[edit on 18-4-2009 by Odessy]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I used to do Astral Projection when I was just a little kid. I reached a place which someone later told me was called Temple Perilous.

I met some elders there who got me back home safely, and put a lock on my ability to Astral Project for my own protection.

I take their word on it that there are dangerous entities out there as well as benevolent ones.

The books I had read on the subject said that there is a golden thread between the spirit and the body, and if it is severed, the body dies, and the spirit cannot get back into it.

So the spirit world is not so different from the physical, except perhaps the physical is safer for the spirit.

If you think that the spirit world is Candyland Charlie, then you are ignoring every historical source of reference to it.

Just to start with, you are leaving your body empty. It probably would not be funny if you found someone else in there when you got back.

They might object to your wanting to move into their new shell.
(Finders Keepers they say in the spirit world!)

I don't know who you go to in order to learn the ropes. I have always found that I have had more personal experiences than anyone I ever met hawking their wisdom. So I'll just take advice, and take it slow.

When they walked me home they told me that the locks would keep me in until I was ready. That was 40 years ago. I'm working on patience now, among other things.

[edit on 18-4-2009 by Cyberbian]

[edit on 18-4-2009 by Cyberbian]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
sorry, I disagree with a lot of what your saying...

You cant sever the thread, please tell me what book you read that it. I am well versed in the subject and every known famous APer has said you cant sever the thread.

I think you may have been dreaming, reaching temple whatever... you've done a good job remembering that from 40 years ago if you were just a little kid when it happened... especially since the spiritual realm is almost just like the physical one, just with intention.

(Finders Keepers they say in the spirit world!)

Please tell me who says this...

You know what. It would do you good to not tell bold fibs to a person seeking spiritual advice. I'm not going to argue with you, but I will tell the OP, don't believe me, or this dude, do the research yourself. You'll find out then from solid sources that this Cyberbian has not a clue on the subject. Sad really.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I have a feeling someone is trying to close my thread by posting drug related posts on the subject. I dare jump to conclusions though, and before the info is lost as the rules on ATS are quite scrutinous, I'm going to copy most the info to this thread. It should help, I hope you don't mind:

It's been a little over a year since I started to delve into the world of OoBEs (Out of Body Experiences), Meditation, Inner Chi, Chakras, and all other things metaphysical... and let me say, I feel very enlightened. I have many members on ATS, and great personal friends, to thank for leading me in the right directions, discussing personal accounts, and giving me pointers I've needed to reach this state. The subject is much easier to study and practice when the information comes from reliable sources, which is why I've created this thread, to help those on this site curious in researching, studying, and obtaining higher states of consciousness and Astral Projection.

Let me first start by saying that Astral Projection is very much real, but it is only the door to whats really going on around us. One does not need to Astrally Project or have an OoBE to see or feel this reality, but if you chose to do so, take the subject very seriously. It is a very personal decision to try and reach a higher state of consciousness, and only you can decide the balance you need in incorporating these practices in your daily lives.

Now we start.

Meditation
Meditation is the most used, and most balanced, technique for focusing chi, opening chakras, and unlocking many parts of our mind. It is also the key to successful Astral Projection. I'm not going to talk too much on methods for meditation, or different mantras, because everyone has their own techniques. It is important though, so if you are unfamiliar with meditation, you can explore more on the subject by clicking the link below.
How to Meditate

Astral Projection
There exist many types of OoBEs, conscious or non conscious, but it can be argued that all OoBEs are also Astral Projections. Astral Projection is, simply put, your inner self ("soul") escaping from your physical body and existing in what is called the "Astral Plane." The Astral Plane is a lot like our physical world, but more beautiful and with less limitations. When you exist on this plane, you are in what we call your "Astral Body," pretty easy to remember.

We will go into ways of how to actually Astrally Project (AP) soon, but first, lets talk about what you can first expect to see and experience when beginners AP. Like I said earlier, expect a lot of the same environment. Most first timers appear/project in the room they are sleeping/meditating in. Things are, for the most part, the same, but objects may appear a little different because since the astral world consists of thoughts and intentions, many objects are in the form they were thought up to be, typically making them more beautiful.
Also, physical boundaries are no longer there, so expect to be able to float, walk through walls, that sort of thing. I would say flying is to be expected, but the first few times you project, you'll probably be so excited of what your doing, that you'll wake up before you get to do what you want, but flying is very possible.
Oh, and don't be surprised if you hear your name being called too, we'll get into that too.

When people dream, they are APing without realizing it, which is why APing is often referred to as "Dream Yoga." When you encounter people in your dreams, or while APing, those are usually real people, also sleeping or APing and not knowing it (I'll give a great example later).
When you don't realize your APing, or Lucid Dreaming (which is when you realize your dreaming in your dream and take control), your consciousness is asleep. That is why the first step in APing, is to awaken your consciousness while your awake. This may sound confusing because some of you are thinking, "if I'm awake, so must my conscious be," but thats just not the case. Somewhere along the road, humans fell asleep. This is easy to see by our infatuation with "things." When someone sees something flashy that they want, their mind becomes infatuated with that object and desires it instead of seeing what it truly is, just an object, and that person becomes lost in their own thought and not aware of who or where they are. This is something that, at extremely advanced levels, people should always be aware of, who and where they are, at all times. God knows I'm not nearly that far advanced yet... not even close.

[SIDE NOTE]
Many methods of how to AP exist, and have been talked about on ATS numerous amounts of time, ie: the rope method, or imaging your floating above or below yourself, but don't listen to those. Sure, they may work, but you wouldn't stand a chance of successfully APing if you jump into those without realizing the goal and concept behind APing, which is awaking your consciousness, so just forget about those. They don't matter. More than likely your first AP will be from awakening in a dream.

So, back to awakening your consciousness during the day. As stated earlier, meditation is a great way of doing this, but not the only way. To be conscious during the day, you should constantly ask yourself, "Am I dreaming?" Then, realize where you are. Right now, I am in the computer room of my house, which resides in my neighborhood, which exists in northern California, which is part of the United States, which is part of the planet earth in the milky way galaxy of our entire known universe. Wow. That should really give you the sense of how small we really are. Its an awestruck thought, and you should try and remember this when your driving, in school, the mall, at work, etc. It just gives you a good view on reality, and takes you away from the things we get caught up in everyday which cause us to forget ourselves. The same things that make our consciousness fall asleep, even when we're awake.

The goal of asking yourself "Am I dreaming?" during the day, and realizing where you are, is so that it becomes second nature, and you start asking yourself that in your dreams. When you ask yourself if your dreaming in your dream, you'll probably notice that you really are. Same goes for not getting caught up in fancy things. As I said earlier, when you get caught up in fancy things, you become awestruck by them. Instead of wondering what that thing really is, you just think, oh, that's really cool. When your dreaming, you tend to see some crazy things. If you realize that what your seeing is crazy, and not just become awestruck by it, you'll probably realize that your dreaming, and that's the first step to successfully APing.
Here is a piece written on achieving Dream Yoga written by the 2nd Dalai Lama:

The method of training in retaining dreams is twofold: during the day practicing an appropriate mindfulness meditation and at night applying the forceful method of the oral instruction.

The first of these involves regarding all objects perceived during the daytime as things of a dream. One must think to oneself, "These objects are but dream experiences and I must recognize this dream as a dream."

Practicing this mindfulness during the day will have the effect that at night when a dream occurs one will automatically think, This is but a dream experience." The stronger becomes the instinct of the training cultivated during the day, the stronger will become one's ability to recognize the dream state when asleep.
SOURCE

Also, before I forget, let me show you the passage written by Samael Aun Weor, which gives a good example of both the above, and meeting other people in your dreams, as we mentioned a few paragraphs above:

[continued in next post]

[edit on 19-4-2009 by Odessy]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy

From my memory—at his very moment—I recall another unusual case: many years ago when I was traveling through the countries of South America—since as a traveler I always walked from one country to another around the world—on a given night it so happened that I saw myself walking through a garden, then into a living room and through it, and finally I arrived at a lawyer’s office, where I saw seated at a desk a lady of a certain age, with grey hair, who very amiably attended me; she stood up and greeted me.
Suddenly, I observed that two butterflies made of crystal were on the desk—well, there is nothing odd about seeing two butterflies on a desk, right? Yet, the intriguing aspect of this matter is that the two butterflies were alive: they were moving their wings, their little heads, their little legs, and that is very odd, right? So, this was very unusual and intriguing: two butterflies made of crystal, and alive! These butterflies were not normal; it is clear that they were not natural, my beloved brothers and sisters, this was something odd; it was a case where one has to become very inquisitive.
Well then, do you want to know what I did? I did not become identified with the pair of butterflies, I only pondered the following question within myself: “How is it possible that there exist in the world butterflies whose bodies are made of crystal, whose head, legs, and wings are made of crystal, and that breathe and have life like the natural ones?” Thus, this is how I reflected, my beloved brothers and sisters.
What if I had become identified with the butterflies and not pondered an analytical question, without reflecting on those butterflies made of crystal? What if I had become fascinated, or enchanted, and had fallen into unconsciousness? Well, that would have been foolish, right?
However, I reflected, by pondering the following statements to myself: "No! It is impossible for these type of creatures to exist in the physical world. No, no, no, this is very strange, this is very odd, this is not normal. Here, I smell something fishy, there is something rare. This type of phenomenon, as I know, does not exist in the tridimensional world; since this is only possible in the astral world, it seems that I am in the astral dimension; could it be that I am in the astral world?"
Then, I question myself: "It seems that I am dreaming, it seems that I left my physical body sleeping somewhere, because indeed this is very odd. So, in order to be sure, I am going to perform a small jump with the intension of floating in the environment, thus, this is how I will verify if I am in my astral body, so let us see what happens." So, this is what I said to myself, yes brothers and sisters, with complete confidence I tell you that this is how I proceeded. It is obvious that I had to proceed in that manner and not in another manner, right? However, I was concerned about jumping in front of that lady; thus, I said to myself, “This lady might think that I am a nut case if I start jumping here in her office.”
Apparently, everything was very normal: a desk like any desk, the chair where the lady was seated was one of those that rotate from one side to the other, there were two candelabra in that office, I remember that one was at the right and the other at the left, they seem made of massive gold. So, I remember this with entire exactitude, my dear brothers and sisters, even though it happened a long time ago, many years, since I was very young in that epoch, thus, I remember that the candelabra were of seven branches. Well, talking here with complete confidence, I did not find anything odd in that room, everything was normal in that office, however, when I focused my sight in those butterflies they became the only truly questionable oddity there. As for the rest, I said: “There is nothing odd about this lady, she as normal as other ladies in the world; however, these butterflies make me intrigued.” The fact that they were alive on their own accord was very rare. Anyhow, be it as it is, I resolved to leave the room with the intention of performing a little jump, do you understand? Of course, I had to give an excuse to the lady, thus, I asked her consent to leave the office; I told her that I needed to leave the room just for a moment, and that I did.
Thus, when outside in the corridor and being sure that no one was looking at me, I performed a long jump with the intension of floating in the environment… and behold, let me tell you what happened, sincerely I tell you that I immediately remained floating in the surrounding atmosphere. Of course, I felt a delectable sensation, my dear brothers and sisters, a delectable sensation; then I said to myself: “I am in my astral body; here I do not have even the slightest doubt about it.” I remembered that a few hours before I had left my physical body sleeping in my bed and by displacing myself there in the astral world I had arrived to that place, to that office.
Then, I went back into that office, I sat again before the lady and spoke to her with much respect, I told her: “Be aware, ma’am, that we both are in the astral body.” Wondered, with sleepy eyes as a somnambulist, that lady scarcely looked at me; she did not understand, she did not comprehend, nevertheless, I wanted to clarify the situation for her and I told her: “Ma’am, remember that a few hours ago you went to bed, to lay down in order to sleep, therefore, do not wonder why am I telling you this; listen: your physical body is sleeping in your bed and you are here talking with me in the astral world…”
Yet, definitively, that lady did not understand; she was profoundly asleep, she had her consciousness asleep. Thus, upon seeing that everything was useless, comprehending that she would not awaken—not even with cannon shots, since that wretched lady had never dedicated herself to the labor of the awakening of her consciousness—then frankly, my dear brothers and sisters, I resolved to apologize, and left.
Well, as a curious thing, I want to narrate for you that many years after, maybe 30 years or more, I had to travel to Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico. Taxco is a very beautiful town, situated over a hill and built in the colonial style; its streets are stone-paved as in the epoch of the colonization, and it is very rich indeed; it has many silver mines, and many beautiful objects and jewelry made of silver are sold there.
I had to travel to that town because someone I was making some remedies for lived there; he wanted to be healed and wanted me to help him in his healing process; he was a wretched patient, very sick…
Well, I arrived at a house, I crossed a garden, and arrived at the living room, which I recognized immediately. There was there a lady; I looked at her and recognized her: she was the same lady that I had seen behind the desk many years ago in the astral world; however, this time she was in the living room.
She invited me to pass into another room, where I found the already mentioned lawyer’s office, where I, so many years ago, had arrived in my astral body. Yet now, instead of the lady behind the desk, it was her husband, a very well educated man who without a title was dedicated to the law (in some places these people are call interns); well, call them as you please. The fact was that he was seated there, in said office. He stood in order to welcome me and thereafter he invited me to sit down in front of his desk. So, I had immediately recognized the office and the lady.
Then, it so happened that because that man liked a little these sort of spiritual studies, we talked and conversed for a while on these matters; he liked everything related with esoteric studies. Thus, I surprised him a little when I told him:
“Sir, I was here already some time ago. I was out of my physical body, in my astral body, and you know that one moves, walks, and goes from one place to another.” This gentleman already knew a little about these things, so my statement was not unusual to him.
Then I told him: “See, on this desk there were two butterflies made of crystal. What happened, where are those butterflies?”
He quickly answered me: “Here are the butterflies, right here, look at them.” He then raised some newspapers that were upon the desk and certainly, they were there, the two very beautiful butterflies made of crystal... Of course, he was very astounded that I knew about those butterflies.
Then I told him: “But something else is missing. I see one candelabra of seven arms, yet I saw two. Where is the other, what happened to it?”
“Here is the other one, look at it,” the gentleman in his office answered me. He then removed some papers and newspapers that he had there and indeed he showed me the other candelabra, yes, it appeared in order to confirm my assertions even more. Of course, the man was amazed.
Then I told him: “I want you to know that I know your wife, because when I came here your wife was at the desk.” Well, the gentleman was amazed.
Thus, at dinner time we were seated at a round table and something truly unexpected happened: in the presence of her husband, the lady told me: “I met you a long time ago. I do not know exactly where, but I have seen you... Yes, I have seen you before in some place. Anyhow, you are not an unknown person to me.” Then, I immediately elbowed the gentleman and told him: “Do you realize it? Are you convinced of my words?” SOURCE

I love this story, and it’s a fantastic example of what we’ve been talking about so far. Once you realize your dreaming, a new world opens up. Usually, people lucid dream, and go about their dream, knowing they are dreaming, but not knowing they are Aping, but if you practice the above steps every day, your first thought will be, “hey I’m APing!” and so, you have the advantage over the person who doesn’t actively try to awaken.

[edit on 15-2-2009 by Odessy]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join