It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overpopulation? Nope, not the problem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I've seen many references in the forums pertaining to the world's "overpopulation" problem. What overpopulation problem? What the world is experiencing is a "population density" issue i.e. too many people living in one location. Any debate on this would be welcome...all points of view appreciated.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by se7en30
I've seen many references in the forums pertaining to the world's "overpopulation" problem. What overpopulation problem? What the world is experiencing is a "population density" issue i.e. too many people living in one location. Any debate on this would be welcome...all points of view appreciated.

I would debate this topic from the point of view of resources, as opposed to land, availability.

On this earth, you could fit an infinite number of humans. Unfortunately the earth would not have the resources to sustain all that life, which is why overpopulation is such a big issue.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
You have a good point about too many people living in one place. Yes there is probably more room to spread people out or accommodate more people. However, is there enough resources to sustain such growth?

It wouldn't take much, natural disaster etc., to put a hurting on the population we currently have.

City populations

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I think the fact that they want the world for themselves, bottom line.
I believe that Yes, there has been overpopulation issues....HOWEVER stating that's it's going to destroy the world is a buncha crap!

The earth isn't going anywhere! WE ARE!!

Over 99% of all species, that ever existed, are now......extinct.

That's why I find it hilarious when people are all out trying to save the trees.....the bees......the worms.....and the snails.........
Mother Nature will just shake us off like a flea when she's sick of us polluting.

Yah.

link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

I did not look at the situation from a "resources" point of view. You are both right to a certain extent. Resources are indeed stretched to the limit. What is sad is the world's refusal/inability to switch to/develop more abundant forms of energy, food, manufacturing methods etc. There are ways to ease or rid the world of resource scarcity, we are just not permitted to walk that line yet.

link   
reply to post by se7en30

Friend,

There certainly is a overpopulation problem. 6.9 Billion our species is simply too much for us to govern and take care of. Especially in the state that the world is now.

We've destroyed the face of this beautiful planet with our ever expanding need for consumerism and building. We've raped it of it's natural resources and not given the Earth time to rejuvenate itself.

And simply dispersing people among other less habited places won't work, you're simply compounding the problem. Humans will naturally gather in groups, and make cities and towers and a whole slew of other useless crap that destroys the place we live in.

You know when you see satelite imaging from space of earth. It looks like mold on a sandwich. We can't possibly continue populating this planet if we intend to act the way we have been.

I agree that it is not a problem if people are respecting nature and living according to their needs and not their "wants". However in today's current global mentality, we are overpopulated and it's killing us slowly.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Overpoplulation in the direct sense of the word, ie, Too Many Humans, is bunk. i'm willing to bet all the worlds population currently, can fit into the US southwest. But the supplies and resources necessary to ensure that 6 billion people are fed, warm and healthy is staggeringly low. i wouldn't call it overpopulation i'd call it undersupplied. Though i'm sure that if we had the technology, such as free energy, and nano robotics, plus the downfall of genetically modified foods, we could make do.

GM foods don't provide enough nutrients, causing Humans to have to eat more, so on and so forth. Thats why i put it in there

love and peace

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Wow! Well thought out post. Thanks for an alternate point of view.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by se7en30
What the world is experiencing is a "population density" issue i.e. too many people living in one location. Any debate on this would be welcome...all points of view appreciated.

There are a couple of reasons why people tend to cluster together in cities. One reason is because it gets way WAY too expensive for goods and services to be spread out more evenly according to how much available land there is. Sure, we could move some people out into the desert. But those people still have to get water, food, electricity and so on in order to live. So you're still going to have to build all kinds of individual houses roads and pipes and wires for that to work. And that's actually going to eat up land.

Another good reason for people to cluster together is it maximizes the land available for farming and mining and either gathering or creating the things people need to live.

So, ultimately, spreading people around isn't going to work. The only reason we have so many people living now is because we learned how to efficiently consolidate. The problem we're running into now is that in spite of our efforts at being efficient, there are still limits to the amount of food we can grow or energy we can produce to sustain us within cities.

Yeah, our technology gets better all the time, so at the moment it's a kind of race between our technology and our rate of growth. A lot of people are fine with that, and figure that our technology will solve a lot of energy or food problems before things get completely out of control.

But here's an idea. Why just use some technology to solve the problem, but not others? We already have the technology to safely limit our births. Since we're already aware of the race we're in, rather than it get to the point where we let "nature" handle itself (let millions of people die of starvation), why don't we step in soon, limit births randomly and fairly so we're not being genocidal, and get a better idea of what the total population of Earth should be where we can all live good, productive lives. Not the maximum number of people we can jam onto the planet. But the maximum optimal population.

We're going to find out one way or the other, and we can either do it the relatively easy way, or the hard way. Unfortunately, our religions and customs and innate instincts to survive on an individual level are making that real hard. We're killing humanity with the love for our children and our desire to keep them safe and healthy.

A lot of people are of the belief that they should "be fruitful and multiply." But as any good farmer knows, sometimes you have to cull, and if you don't periodically trim back fruit trees and bushes, they produce less and lower quality fruit.

I don't see people wising up anytime soon, though. So, sooner than most people think, we're going to be in really bad trouble.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
it is overpopulation ... there's are reason's why a lot of people live in certain places cause a large population density ...

it's called availability of resources, how close they are to ports, where the jobs are, etc. those + other reasons are why certain people live in certain places ... you're taking a narrow minded approach and not looking at what's the cause for the population density ...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Some people have NO clue..why?

well try doing mathatics first.. then TRY do mathmatics again THEN..
OH yes but only then will you understand the CRAP you read in your papers

i Bring to you COMMEN SENSE

I wont post all 8 but this is part one.. Enjoy and the next time you say its god naff all to do with population.

go back to math class please for the love of god we are going to KILL the planet at 11:59

we are 1 minute away from the death of humans lol /me slaps head

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by se7en30

Hope the vid i posted makes you understand the NWO agenda

we NEED to stop making babies ASAP

I can see a time in life were you need to pass a test or something to make a kid i dunno but we are in for a ruff ride..

they are FACTS not things you read in the paper.. MATHMATICAL facts..

you can not DEBUNK IT..

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Yeah, and see, it's not about killing anybody. It's about not letting a lot more people being born that we can't handle until we can figure out exactly how much the planet can handle. It might be twice as many people than we have now (which will happen in a few decades), or a tenth as many people.

You allow mice to breed uncontrolled in a cage and they end up eating their young. They know what their environment can support. They're smarter than we are.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Overpopulation isn't the biggest concern facing our planet. The availability of fresh water will be what we fight, and kill each other for in a few decades. Mark my words.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Dirk Gently]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
i take it you didnt watch the vid...

its mathmatics.. it has NOTHING to do with clean water

please WATCH THE VIDS

its basic MATHS

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dirk Gently
Overpopulation isn't the biggest concern facing our planet. The availability of fresh water will be what we fight, and kill each other for in a few decades. Mark my words.

If we didn't have so many people, we wouldn't run out of fresh water. So maybe overpopulation isn't the problem. But it's curious how reducing the population would be a solution.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Why are we destroying the forests of the world?
Why are we destroying the seas of the world?
Why are we destroying the habitats of most of the wildlife on the planet?
Why do the powers that be continually engage in devastating wars?
For resources. Why are we doing these things on a scale that threatens our own existance? To service a planetary population that has gotten ridiculously out of control.
Humans aren't meant to cover every square inch of the planet, there is a whole lot of other animal and plant life living on it that we have to respect because it is part of an living planetary ecosystem that we are seriously messing up.
Humanity has to grow up and realise that it can't just take everything it wants from the planet it inhabits, there has to be a balance as in all things in nature.
Humans must slow down the birth rate of the population worldwide so that in time some sort of equilibrium returns to the world. We are currently a runaway cancer, an intelligent but insane cancer that argues its right to exist at the expense of the host.
Yes milions of other species have come and gone in history and the world will carry on after we all die but, the simple fact is that we don't have to if we grow up and take some responsibility for our place on this planet.

This has nothing to do with any supposed NWO it's just common sense.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Frankinmouse]

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Frankinmouse]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with any supposed NWO it's just common sense.

they can understand basic mathmatics... many people on this rock have no clue..

why do you think they build underground bases? because in time they are going to WIPE out the rest and CONTROLL population in acordance with LOGIC

as the vid points out .. growth on a planet with FINITE resourses CANT NOT AND WILL NOT EVER BE POSSIBLE

unless your Ignorant of the fact : no offence :

[edit on 6-4-2009 by symmetricAvenger]

[edit on 6-4-2009 by symmetricAvenger]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I guess we must hand over our breading privileges, especially us horrible people in the west . Perhaps implementation of policies like that wonderful freedom loving nation of China , forced abortions or sterilization .
Hey, here's a great idea, we could hold annual calibrations called the Festival of Renewal , perhaps we could replace Christmas with it .
Yeah Ok I'm being incredibly facetious . Ok if we are over populated, does this include most Western countries ? Because all we've been hearing for the last 2 or 3 decades, is we aren't replenishing our pop. enough . Hence immigration . But now we have this former Clinton adviser saying Britain is over populated by 40 million .

[edit on 6-4-2009 by OpusMarkII]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
There is plenty of space for us to live.
There are plenty of ways to grow food and keep our water flowing and clean.
There are numerous ways for us to get our needs met.
Some people think they "own" the land.
Some people make laws and rules that make it impossible for the
general public to investigate outside of the box - and use their own creativity
to manage their own lives.
Some people want to control the masses.
The problem is not the population.
The problem are these people.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join