It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Open Source

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Are you using a Open Source Linux distribution on your Desktop PC, (Note I did not say Laptop, this is more difficult)?

And if not why. Does it not concern you Microsoft possibly having a back door, or possibly complete control over your PC.? What is the hold up in adopting this, I would assume a high percentage of people here are using Linux, the first step in freedom from a central authority.

And where is the Open Source security thread on this site, you would think in the digital age, that would be a hot topic!

FYI: Yes I use Linux, on many computers, favorite distro is Gentoo, but I use Ubuntu most of the time. On my laptop I still use Vista for now, so I can do some video editing for which I can not get the tools I want on Linux.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by SoulOrb]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I have only a laptop - but would love to run Linux is possible.

I am a fan of open source, and suggest that we adopt an "open source" policy in all our gadgetry. Users of proprietary programming would do so at their own risk.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I'm shackled to windows because of work, the sites I have to use require IE in order to function at all, so without it I wouldn't be able to log in to check my email from home, do my time sheet, check my PTO, or anything of that nature. That being said I'm a fan of Linux however I find it still extremely lacking for desktop use because of the configuration woes, the lack of suitable replacements for proprietary software, and of course dependency hell (if you are not using something which manages that for you, such as the Slackware of old). Linux is amazing for servers (it powers at least 3 of mine) but for my desktops I still use windows so that I can take advantage of things like my HD audio setup and my graphics card (which does not work in OpenSuSE 11.0).

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I am also a fan of open source.
Why because it gets revenge on those companies that use or bring in foreign programmers after firing there US programmers because its cheaper.

Many of the open source programs were written by these fired US programmers just to get revenge on the companies they used to work for.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoulOrbDoes it not concern you Microsoft possibly having a back door, or possibly complete control over your PC.?

Sorry for my bad English, it is not my natural language, still learning

Well, install some firewall application on Windows, look at traffic log, and you will see if Windows (not other software or malware) have some backdoor. Until you found something, it is just theory without proof.

On other hand, why will MS spy you, and even control your computer. If you have something "high top secret" on computer, just don't connect that computer on Internet, use other computer for surfing and other Internet-related stuff...

I didn't concern if MS have backdoor, nothing to find on my computer, nothing interest to MS or other... And I don't think Windows have backdoor, but if have, i believe it is just because of some programming error, so install patches.

I don't talk about viruses and other malwares, just about MS Windows and hidden backdoor embedded from Microsoft.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Well I wouldn't worry too much, but I would worry. If Microsoft had a back door geeks who trace programs to figure out what they're doing or people who sniff out going packets will probably find it. Even if it's closed source geeks still have a few tricks of their own.

Currently these tricks are usually used to crack the DRM or product activation on games and Windows. You have to know how the DRM works to crack it. Years ago when I had time I used to do something similar, so it can be done. However, I wasn't very good at it, but other people are.

Another problem is, even if someone did find it I guess that wouldn't help you much. Knowing you have a back door in your comp and not being able to get rid of it probably won't help lol.

So, to actually answer your question I use Vista and XP still, but I also dual boot Ubuntu(lappy) on one machine and openSUSE(desktop) on another. I have Fedora, another Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and soon Zenwalk 6 running in virtual machines on the desktop as well. I know that seems like a lot, but it's just because I don't delete them when they start to bore me.

Also, my main work server runs FreeBSD out to three XP terminals. Fun fun lol. So, yeah my operating system world is entirely retarded, but it's probably confusing as crap to anyone trying to spy on me lol.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I've used Linux quite successfully. If it were made 100% compatible with Windows software, it would be fantastic. I wouldn't need this dual boot thing.

Linux is very impressive, considering the funding is sometimes lacking.

I know this isn't Linux, but it is an interesting OS.
www.reactos.org...

Troy

[edit on 27-3-2009 by cybertroy]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I use Ubuntu on my laptop, for anyone who cares it's a Compaq Presario v5000, any version after 8.04 works with all hardware in it (wireless needs a bit of fiddling).

So far, I don't have any compatibility problems with it at all. In fact, me and someone else at University are using an open source system for a project. It is, I believe, incompatible with Windows. But since cost isn't an issue with Linux, I can't see how that can really be a argument against it.

top topics

join