It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea warns intercepting 'satellite' will prompt counterstrike

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
So why all the bluster if they dont even have the thing on the launching pad yet and fueling up? When is this thing suppose to take off? I see news article after news article but none say when this thing is suppose to fly.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
we should go to war with North Korea

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I wonder what NK means by strongholds. Like city capitals? What kind of attack could they of all people carry out, I doubt they have any serious weaponry that couln't be intercepted or diverted by Japan, China or even SK.

~Keeper

NK's Coventional weapons can reach the capitol of South Korea, Seoul. And if that happens, the Americans will be drawn in, as the majority of our forces sit between Seoul and the border with North Korea. 30,000 men would be responsible for holding off more than 1.5 million troops and thousands of tanks.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
March 19, 2009

Japan to ready defence against N Korea rocket

SEOUL: Japan will clear the way for the deployment of ballistic missile interceptors as it prepares for the possibility a North Korean rocket could fall toward its territory, Kyodo news agency reported yesterday. North Korea has said it intends to launch a satellite between April 4 and 8, presenting a challenge to US President Barack Obama and allies in Asia who see the plan as a disguised long-range missile test.

(Rest of the article: kuwaittimes.net)

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
More.

The plan has alarmed the region and prompted some airlines to say they will alter flight routes during the test period. The reclusive state stunned Tokyo with the launch of a rocket in 1998 that flew over Japan before dropping into the Pacific Ocean.

Japanese law allows the shooting down of dangerous objects falling toward the country, excluding aircraft. The cabinet plans to approve preparatory steps to destroy the rocket if it falls onto Japanese territory, Kyodo said, citing government sources.

South Korea's defence minister said there was a possibility the North would use the intense attention being focused on the missile launch to mount a limited attack across the border to further escalate tension on the Korean peninsula.
The attack could be a naval, air or land strike anywhere along the armed border that divides the Korean peninsula, Defence Minister Lee Sang-hee told parliament in Seoul.

North Korea has said it is putting a communications satellite into orbit, and has the right to do so under its space programme. It has said the first stage of the rocket would splash down in the Sea of Japan, while the second would land in the Pacific. Japanese cabinet approval, which may come by the end of March, would clear the way for the deployment of ground-based Patriot Advanced Capability-3 interceptors, Kyodo said.

Cabinet approval is required in Japan, where military activity is strictly limited under its pacifist constitution. A defence ministry spokesman declined to comment. Japan is also considering deploying two high-tech Aegis-equipped destroyers carrying Standard Missile-3 ballistic missile interceptors, Kyodo added.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Update:

North Korea to Start Military Exercises beneath NLL - 5 hours ago

Assemblywoman and national defense expert Song Young Sun forecasted on Thursday that “North Korea will provoke us, attempting military exercises south of the NLL (Northern Limit Line) soon after the end of ‘Key Resolve’... which will finish on the 20th.”

Song was speaking on a Peace Broadcasting Company (PBC) radio program, continuing, “North Korea is likely to provoke us between the 21st of March and the 15th of April, according to its past pattern of action. Especially, there is a higher possibility of North Korea provoking something from the 4th of April until the 8th, the period when North Korea has claimed it will launch a missile.”

(Rest of the article: dailynk.com)

Agence France-Presse: In test, US intercepts short-range missile

S.Korea Warns of Action if North Blocks Border Again

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

North Korean security officials have detained two Korean-American journalists who were filming across the Tumen River from the Chinese side of the border, it has been reported.

itn.co.uk...

Things seem to be getting even more tense than normal atm.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This is extremely nerve racking, if the rocket doesn't go straight up and starts heading towards Japan, Japan will be very tempted to shoot it down. I imagine it would cause chaos in the war room there "shoot it down!, shoot it down!" "no we can't they said they would implement a massive strike against anyone who does!!" "are you kidding me!? this rocket might be a nuke and could hit tokyo!" "general what do we do!!"

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
While things may look tense now, things were much more tense back in 1994. I remember I was living in Korea at the time, and there was a cover of newsweek, war with korea. This was when Clinton signed some agreements, nukes for rice or what not.

Anyways, I remember watching the Armed Forces Network, and kept on seeing daily warnings about make sure I have my passport ready to go just in case. It was kind of scary.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by superdeluxe

You're very, very right about that. During the mid 90's (93-94), under Clinton, people still don't fully appreciate how close we were to attacking North Korea. The CONPLAN at the time was prepped, simulations run and deployments made. We were ready to go, luckily they backed down.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
reply to post by superdeluxe

You're very, very right about that. During the mid 90's (93-94), under Clinton, people still don't fully appreciate how close we were to attacking North Korea. The CONPLAN at the time was prepped, simulations run and deployments made. We were ready to go, luckily they backed down.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by WestPoint23]

Any info on what CONPLAN number was there... any stories on that or more info to see what was the plan to evaluate it... expected casualties, method of attacks... ect..?

From what I red:

In June 1994, the Clinton administration contemplated a nuclear strike against NK, but gave up after computer simulations showed that vast destruction in South Korea and even Japan world result.

And NK wouldn't retaliate right away if the missile was shot down...Kim is planning a session the day after the tests.
NKorea assembly to meet one day after missile test
So if the missile is shot down, they'll probably decide what to do next there.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice
This is extremely nerve racking, if the rocket doesn't go straight up and starts heading towards Japan, Japan will be very tempted to shoot it down. I imagine it would cause chaos in the war room there "shoot it down!, shoot it down!" "no we can't they said they would implement a massive strike against anyone who does!!" "are you kidding me!? this rocket might be a nuke and could hit tokyo!" "general what do we do!!"

That is exactly what i was thinking. But you posted it far better than i ever could. Starred.

A very scary scenario.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
UPDATE: Your fears have been confirmed, we are not that stupid afterall.
So where is everyone to comment on this today, everyone has gone quiet, so not interested then it seems.

news.sky.com... 15249082?lpos=World_News_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15249082_North_Korea_Places_Long-Range_Missile_On_Launch_Pad_Despite_Warnings_ From_The_US_-_Reports444

5:29pm UK, Wednesday March 25, 2009

North Korea has reportedly positioned a long-range missile on a launch pad despite warnings from the US.

The communist regime is believed to have set up a Taepodong-2 missile at its facility in Musudan in the east of the country.

Pyongyang has said it intends to use the missile to launch a satellite into space.

All being well it says this will happen sometime between April 4 and 8.

The launch would be in defiance of a UN ban which prohibits North Korea from ballistic activity.

North Korea insists it would be an entirely "peaceful" event - but experts fear the real aim could be to acquire a ballistic missile capability.

The US says it could shoot down the missile if necessary, although the Pentagon has said it does not foresee the need arising.

Japan on the other hand has said it is prepared to destroy the missile with defence systems obtained from the US.

The last test of a Taepodong-2 in 2006 was a spectacular failure.

The missile started to cartwheel almost immediately after liftoff and then exploded.

Text

[edit on 25-3-2009 by The time lord]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Any info on what CONPLAN number was there... any stories on that or more info to see what was the plan to evaluate it... expected casualties, method of attacks... ect..?

[edit on 21-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

There is a website called Global Security.

That has all sorts of battle plans in the hot spots of the world.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
edited

Nevermind... The time lord already said what I just typed..

Sorry about that.

Scarey stuff indeed..

[edit on 25-3-2009 by Unknown Truth]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Truth

Hi, I made my own post about this update, please if you have time come visit it. I can not find the link for some reason hope its not been erased.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The thing is I think so many people are focusing on this test being a Nuclear warhead that theyve failed to think about the implications if it was ever the possibility that this was something else, such as a EMP device.
A EMP device over the biggest manufacturing and electronical capital of the world would bring Japan to its knee's far greater than any Nuclear device would. They solely rely on Electronics for everything and one pulse would knock out Japans entire infastructure.
The test takes it pretty high up, indicating this is what N.Korea is possibly intending, their altitude means they'll get a good few thousand range of EMP out of whatever they have onboard.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join