It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saddam Hussein's name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
It used to be "Sadaam," which is more accurate to the original Arabic.

I remember when it was spelled that way in the media, and you can see it spelled that way in archives.

When did it change?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

It was anglicized. Saddam is correct for english speakers.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
How is this a conspiracy dealing with 9/11?

I'm very confused here, I was expecting some lavish story about Hussein's name being tied to the whole thing.

Hmm...I dunno if I'm happy I didn't have to read such crap....or sad that this is nothing at all.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

Well...

I suppose that when the PTB decided to turn him from an allie to a foe, around the end of the eighties after ten or fifteen yrrs of gentle obedience to US policies, the exotic name was turned into some subliminal and so conspiracesque spelling :

SAD-DAM(ned).

Kids game.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Rigel]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I didn't realize that this was the 9/11 forum. I'm moving this to General Conspiracies

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The reason for the spelling is quite simple. When you compare any language to any other language, you don't always have equivocal phoneme (letter sound). This leads to many transliterated variations of the same word.

Saddam is written with two English letter "D"s because the "d" that is used in the Arabic alphabet for his name does not sound the same as a standard English D. For example, listen and compare an Arab person pronounce Saddam versus an English speaker pronounce the name.

top topics

join