It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kiribati, a Pacific island-nation in danger of being submerged because of global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I cam eaccross ths on hisz.rsoe.hu...

Source

Kiribati, a Pacific island-nation in danger of being submerged because of global warming, may purchase land elsewhere to relocate its people, President Anote Tong said. “We would consider buying land,” Tong said in an interview in New Delhi. “The alternative is that we die, we go extinct.” Kiribati, between Hawaii and Australia, is the second island-nation after the Maldives that’s floated the idea of buying land should their islands be swamped by rising seas and more powerful storms. Warmer temperatures are melting icecaps, expanding the volume of oceans and causing more intense storm systems. Higher tides in Kiribati’s 33-island archipelago are making potable water for its 100,000 residents too salty to drink. Tong appealed Feb. 5 to leaders who will meet in Copenhagen in December to turn their attention to islanders hurt by global warming. “I can fully understand why responsible leaders of countries like Kiribati and the Maldives want to take action now and I think we’ll see more of this,” said Kim Carstensen, climate-change program director for the environmental group WWF International. Increasingly, “we’re facing a situation where hundreds of millions of people will be at risk from the consequences of climate change in the form of rising sea levels for small island-states and low-lying countries like Bangladesh,” Carstensen said Feb. 6 in a telephone interview from Copenhagen. “We are the face of the victims,” Tong said. “There has to be an international commitment that those countries that are willing to provide land will be compensated and a fund will be provided. But we will be willing to spend our own money if nothing else was coming forth.”

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
water purification and sand bags.

Money well spent.

Tourism could spike to vacation to "Atlantis II"

Besides, a pacific island? El Niño, La Niña, it's just a phase. Kind of like a fad, but with possible unpresidented profits from carbon footprint taxes and chinese made trinkets of everything Atlantis.

Now, who wants to sell land to these islanders? The Saudi's? They can build newhigh tech oil fields that are more like the eighth wonder of the world, and pay for it all in cash, while we borrow and lie like inlaws that have long overstayed their welcome.

How about Alaska? Plenty of wilderness and fresh water, food, they can aclimate and go on with life. May even see future Iditerod champions down the road.

Many other fine places. Too many to list.

How much can a nation with submerging land and salty water afford?

I bet this time next year, the ocean-atmosphere phenomenon will have passed and all will be fine.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

Actually quite a lot if I recall right Kiribati is one of the places where you hide money for real not like one of those Swiss accounts that everybody knows about.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

islands erode, i've seen this 'topic' resurface in periodic intervals, which begs the question if the search option is somehow grayed out for believers.

ever taken a look at the Hawaii chain?

oh, before i forget it, there's another thread which you migth find useful.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

if you can successfully refute the majority of points raised , i just might consider coming back for more.

new topics

top topics

join