It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Trees Feel Pain?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Believe me when I say that I am very serious when I ask this question. I have cried alot since the major ice storm demolished all of the trees around here. I was laying in the dark during the second round of ice and listened woefully as the the trees broke and crashed. I even asked my husband if he thought they felt the pain of their limbs breaking. Every tree in my yard was destroyed and one of my pine trees had ice frozen down one side that looked to me like tears...it broke my heart.
If I am not mistaken there is a Bible verse that states that upon the Lord's return the trees themselves would rejoice. I know that they do not have nerve endings and pain receptors in the brain like we do, but do you think it is possible that in their own way they experience pain?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
They don't have a central nervous system at all, which is 100% necessary to feeling pain.

While it is oddly touching you would actually be saddened by your trees being destroyed, there is absolutely no way they can feel any pain.

Also, I'm sure you've had birds tunnel in to the trees to make their nests, which would have been unbelievable painful if they felt pain. But since you didn't notice that I would guess that they don't.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Son Of Liberty]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
in the traditional sense?

No.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I think they do. I planted a cherry blossom tree when I was younger and lived with my parents. When we had to move, the new owners wanted to get rid of it because they wanted to pave over the spot it was on.

I came back to a stump of what used to be the most beautiful tree in my eyes. The pink petals of it's blossoms were like spilled tears around the stump. Yes, indeed I do feel that trees feel pain, and they channel it through us, people who are open to it and come to respect them as they are.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Son Of Liberty

When we bought this property nearly 20 years ago, there were only 3 trees on it. We planted the rest of them, protected and nurtured them and watched them turn into beautiful shade trees. I loved them. As I said, I know that they are not structured as we are, but does that mean that they can't feel pain in their own way?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Do they feel pain? unsure. Do they exhibit fear? maybe

The results of the original experiment were known as the Backster Effect for some time afterwards. Although the tests were for exhibiting ESP in plants, specifically communication, the fact that some independent follow up tests have shown some reactions leaves this pretty much a unknown possibility.

The pun was actually unintentional, for a change.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Maybe through you by proxy. Who knows about all that spiritual mumbo-jumbo. But no, i seriously doubt it. As a matter of fact, doubt wasn't a strong enough word, they do not.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

I dont know if trees feel pain, but I know of some trees that can be used to take away pain =)

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I've never really thought about that.

when i was younger i used to feel sorry for them when they broke but that might just have been my imagination. i suppose they're alive and there's so much we don't know about the world. anythings possible.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
www.naturaleclipse.com...
See video Plants know what your thinking....I think they may feel pain.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

If pain is death and no-pain is life, then perhaps they do "feel pain", and it would explain the parable's meaning.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Depending on what kind of pain... I don't think they feel physical pain, other kinds of pain (and other feelings) perhaps they can. Remember they're living beings and they're not isolate from their surroundings :]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

pain, well, maybe not, but plans do seem to react

perdurabo10.tripod.com...

During the experiment, a man entered the room each day at a certain time to water and add nourishment to the soil in each of the pots in which the cabbages were growing. The signals were recorded. There was a reaction to this activity each day.

Then one day a new person entered the room carrying an ax. This man walked up to one of the cabbage plants and chopped it to pieces. The response on the recorders was immediate. There was a wild increase in electronic activity. It was clear that the other cabbage plants not only were aware of this terrible event, they expressed a strong response to what just happened.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Of course they do. They dread the onset of winter and the parasitic creatures that inhabit them. What can they do about it? Nothing. Try as they might they cannot even stop us from reaping huge stockpiles of lumber and senseless wooden novelties that are our decorations. Fear not. We will soon conquer the bark wearing vermin that inhabit our planet.

Just kidding. No I do not believe they "feel" anything.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
You should try contact Prince Charles............he is so into this - As for me its C**p - next we will be saying the grass has feeling as we tread on it...GET A LIFE!

Needed to insert on and take out it???

[edit on 01/01/2005 by vesta]

[edit on 01/01/2005 by vesta]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son Of Liberty
They don't have a central nervous system at all, which is 100% necessary to feeling pain.

While it is oddly touching you would actually be saddened by your trees being destroyed, there is absolutely no way they can feel any pain.

Also, I'm sure you've had birds tunnel in to the trees to make their nests, which would have been unbelievable painful if they felt pain. But since you didn't notice that I would guess that they don't.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Son Of Liberty]

I'm not so sure about that. I remember watching this experiement (forgive me for not remembering any names, it's been a while) where they hooked up a bunch of sensory devices to some plants. They then struck a match and set the fire directly underneath the leaves of the plant. The sensors went haywire, like way off the charts. They tried this again later w/ the same plant, but this time, just the "sight" of the person walking in, or the sense of him getting near the plant w/ the matches was enough to cause the plant to react in the same exact way, the sensors went bonkers, without even burning the plant the second time. That experiment pretty much proved to me that yes, in a general sense, they DO feel pain, or, definately react to something harmful being done to it.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance

pain, well, maybe not, but plans do seem to react

perdurabo10.tripod.com...

During the experiment, a man entered the room each day at a certain time to water and add nourishment to the soil in each of the pots in which the cabbages were growing. The signals were recorded. There was a reaction to this activity each day.

Then one day a new person entered the room carrying an ax. This man walked up to one of the cabbage plants and chopped it to pieces. The response on the recorders was immediate. There was a wild increase in electronic activity. It was clear that the other cabbage plants not only were aware of this terrible event, they expressed a strong response to what just happened.

This is similiar to what I just posted. Thanks for a source, I might be able to find the experiment I was mentioning through this one.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I don't believe the plants are the ones who caused the reactions on the machines, I believe the people participating in the experience were controlling the machines with their minds -if- the experiments are even valid. Sorry for being a nonbeliever but if a spoon can be bent with a brain, equipment can also be manipulated, especially by someone who knows the machine intrinsically.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
All I can add is I hope not, I was in that ice storm as well. I can assure you, If trees could scream this place would have sounded like the belly of hell.

I honestly believe every tree in this town was shattered and broken. It's sad.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I can feel your sadness Greenize. The truth is, and it has been tested. Trees actually do feel stress. Scientists have hooked trees up to machines and when some one came and threated to hurt the tree the machine would also show stress that the tree is "feeling" I for one believe that ALL living organisms can feel. This leads me to believe that trees do feel pain and if I am wrong and they don't then they definately do feel stress or nervous.

I am very sorry about your trees. If you need some one to talk to feel free to send me a U2U.
Mike

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join