It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Winter Storm in 20+ years!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I am also in NWA area, my plant shut down, today.
We never shut down, so far been lucky, I haven't lost power(knock on wood).
Stay warm.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by K.G.B.]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
All that global warming and climate change stuff ain't nouthin compaired to what we have here. Here we have weather and not too far from here they got weather too. It's really hard to predict you really never know whats going to happen from week to week no matter year to year. Weather is one rough thing to deal with but you got no choice but to try to survive it .

mikell

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I wonder if this is the serious "event" Biden was referring to.
Put on your tin-foil hats everyone!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Roads crews are scrambling to melt roads, but freezing drizzle is continuing to fall across Oklahoma on Monday night. Icy roads have already contributed to at least one death in the state, a crash along the Turner Turnpike near Chandler.Troopers said a driver's semi-truck skidded off the pavement. In Oklahoma City, Emergency Medical Services Authority responded to hundreds of calls, including dozens from people who slipped and fell on icy sidewalks. Walking and driving conditions are not expected to improve by Tuesday morning. Because of that, most schools throughout central Oklahoma are closed. District leaders from Oklahoma City, Edmond, Moore, Mustang, Putnam City and Norman made the call before evening rush hour. Several bus crashes were reported Monday afternoon, including one at Northwest 10th Street and Eagle Street. The Western Heights School Bus had five students on board when it happened, school officials said. The students were shaken up but OK.

Listed as complex disaster on RSOE.

Full RSOE Report on storm.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
Weird thing though, I just took my wife in to work and on the way home I was noticing that the sky is being lit up occasionally completely GREEN.
I guess that is lightning, but it was scary to look at. I've never seen so many lightning strikes when there was ice all over everything.

That is interesting. Probably transformers, but what is even more interesting is a mag 3.1 quake shook Williamsburg, KY at about 6:20am this morning. This is obviously rather far east for the lights you saw to be earthquake lights but it is interesting nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Northern OK is cold (18 F) and slick, incidentally, the heat and air guy came yesterday to look at my unit and my blower motor was fried , so he took it out and I have been without heat since about 4pm yesterday, so I kept a fire going in the den and slept on the couch with the dog...I'm out of dry wood and waiting for the guy to bring me my new motor...it is COLD, lots of people around here didn't go to work today...sitting here with a little space heater in thermal coveralls...at least we have lights.

Being only semi-prepared for this has made me realize I really need to stock up on wood. You never know...I can't really get out and go anywhere either, I live on a little street they don't put sand on, and I drive one of those lightweight minivans that are crappy on ice. So here I sit. Get ready Kentucky.

Actually, it's been kind of fun.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The plant I work for here in Fayetteville has NEVER shut down because of weather. Until today. I was there three hours and they shut it down and told everyone to go home. We'll start back up on Thursday.

The electricity keeps flickering but so far it's stayed on. So far 25000 are without power in my area alone.

This is turning out to be a bad one. Were still under an ice storm warning until 6 AM tomorrow morning.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
alright I live in cincinnati and we got about 6 inches of snow last night/today but apparently this big ice storm is coming our way. Any advice for a girl who essentially lives on her own? I have to work tonight (a dinner shift) and have classes in the morning(university of cincinnati NEVER closes) I drive a dinky little 96 cavalier. I don't know how to prepare or with what. Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
All that global warming and climate change stuff ain't nouthin compaired to what we have here. Here we have weather and not too far from here they got weather too. It's really hard to predict you really never know whats going to happen from week to week no matter year to year. Weather is one rough thing to deal with but you got no choice but to try to survive it .

mikell

I see you live in St Joe, I live in baroda so I know the weather. I think global warming is all BS, infact I read the earth is cooling not warming. Whats causing the ice caps to melt is lack of precipitation not heat.

Its funny to see people all shook up over 25 deg and 8" of snow. I like the cold weather myself, doesnt bother me at all.

Jn

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Watch The Great Global Warming Swindle, are those Green House Gases really Warming up this Planet???, or are we being Swindled about CO2 (which is a natural gas by the way, and ESSENTIAL to nature!).

"The Great Global Warming Swindle" (documentary in link below).

www.viddler.com...

Global Warming = Swindle!.

www.viddler.com...

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Jn]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Well being Canadian I am somewhat of an expert.

The advice I give you is the same I would give my daughter: Lots of candles, alternative heat sources, AND STAY HOME! If you have lots of food your ok. The less people travel in this the better. Maybe a good book or even seeing how your neigbours are doing.

Maybe look at some ATS survival threads. If the heat goes out these will be very handy.

Good Luck to all down there!
reply to post by Seekingmyself

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Just went out for a quick walk and to take a picture or two.

Be careful where you park!

Lots and lots of ice out there too!

Stay warm my friends, we'll get through this one way or the other

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Just wanted to stop in and offer you guys some steaming hot coffee! Up here we were expecting much worse and after the major one we got 2 years ago we don't take it lightly. My thoughts and prayers have been going out for all my friends in Oklahoma and Arkansas areas.

As for us we are fine and with the warmth of the wood stove are doing great.

I premade up a mess of food, bread, casseroles, chile, stews, waffles, muffins and too many other goodies to mention. All stuff I can set on or in the wood stove to simply reheat. The main thing is to have plenty of juices and water on hand.

If you have power outage, take your fridge out side or in your garage to keep your food from thawing in the house if you have wood. I have one of those smaller freezers and it is easy to place on my porch.

Well I am very glad this thread was made as I really have been thinking of us all here in the Midwest and needed to connect as a support system.

Thank You friends, stay warm.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Seekingmyself

Suggestions:1 Bags of sand in the trunk for weight and traction.Use sparingly.Cat litter will work.2Cayanne pepper will keep feet warm.If you are careful,this works for hands too,if you don't mind wearing gloves indoors.Latex gloves work really well for this.3In event of unexpected walking in snow,first remove and pocket socks so they stay warm and dry.Shoes without sox is a bit uncomfortable but having dry socks could save you from frostbite toes.Say if you dig out your car waiting for help,you'll soak yer shoes,but they will dry in the heater vent place while you warm up and wait with dry feet.
For woodstove users,I take coals in a stainless steel bucket wherever I go in my house.A few coals in the ash added to the compost pile later adds greatly to the soil so it's not really wasted.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
We've got a fire going in the fireplace, fresh pot of coffee brewed. Across the street neighbor came over to borrow DVD's since he's going stir-crazy.

I had to scold him since he sent a family member up to the store to get chili fixin's and didn't ask if we needed anything. Frito pie sounds good right about now. Oh well. I guess we'll just stick with the grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.

I don't guess we'd know yet if anybody is without power since they wouldn't be able to log on the internet to tell us. Keep an eye out for your neighbors everybody. We're all in this together.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Not sure how long I'll be on here. My son just called and he just lost power and trees are breaking like crazy outside. I was standing at the door a few minutes ago waiting for the next one to fall and a transformer exploded off in the distance. Scared the crap out of me. Made one heck of a bright light and explosion.

This had better end soon or it will be devastating for the local economy.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Hi Greenize!!! I know it's nerve wracking, but you'll pull through!!! Just make sure you have what you need for awhile, not just a couple of days, but possibly up to 2 weeks depending on how far away from a major city you are. I live in Maine and we had an ice storm about 8 years ago. Yes, it did take power crews up to 3 weeks to get to the outerlying areas here. We all cheered when we saw our local power company trucks pulling through, not only were there our local crews, but a lot of help from quite a few southern states sent trucks and workers from their area.(We were humble and grateful to you-you know who you are-Thank-you) Once you make sure you have enough food, water, and good heating source, you better make sure you've got things to do to ward off the boredom!!! OH...Make sure you FILL UP your gas tank on your vehicle (another source of heat) as long as you are NOT backed up to a snow bank or parked inside a garage. OH yeah, one more thing-go introduce yourself to your neighbor if you don't already know each other!!! You never know who can use who's help!!! Wishing you the best from someone who's been there...May you stay safe...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I am humbled and apologetic TO ALL OF YOU...my best wishes for ALL going through this ordeal-didn't mean to leave anyone out-was just responding to the thread poster...sorry...Good luck to ALL.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Another update from Fayetteville, AR.
We've lost power at our place pretty early this morning. We had to LEAVE the house because we had several trees crash down on the house.

We're in a safe enough place now, but I am really worried about people in these parts. It is very bad outside. The roads aren't too bad because the temp is just above freezing, but there is a SOLID 1 1/2" of ice all over the trees and powerlines. We'll get quite a bit more before this is over. It is raining buckets outside, has been all day, and it is going to freeze HARD tonight. Low of 10 degrees. Everyone stay safe out there. I wouldn't advise standing amongst the trees out there. They were snapping like twigs in my yard.
No joke, at least 2 trees completely down and our really big maples are snapping HUGE limbs all over the place. Very dangerous out there.
About the lights this morning, I realize that it could have been transformers, but it looked more like lightning to me. The whole sky was lit up green for a good couple of seconds each time. Probably transformers, but it was still scary. They were popping all over the place. And I heard several pop before we finally left the house today.

Good luck.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Doing ok in Tulsa. Still have power at home. My rent house is poorly insulated. Last month's gas bill was $200.00

Been drinking lots of coffee and wearing several layers of clothes.

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol reports over 900 collision accidents so far. I think I'll stay home the rest of the day then.

I miss the fireplace from the old apartment, but as always, will make do with what I got.

Take care, stay warm, and drive slow, very very slow if out in the ice this week.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join