It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HP Pavilian 6000, Wireless Issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
HP/Compaq Presario V6000
AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6 Ghz
2.5 Gigs Ram
32 bit Vista Service Pack 1

Here is the problem.

It usually takes me 3 and sometimes 4 restarts to get the wireless to connect to my home wireless network.. "G"

I have it set to connect to it automatically, and the HP Wireless assistant is operating, but most of the time on an initial start up it tells me that wireless networks are available, but 1. does not connect automatically and 2. when I try to manually, it says it can't and then wont "Diagnose" the problem.

The only way I have found to connect, is to just keep restarting and after 3 or 4 and sometimes 5 times, it connects...

Any ideas?

Very frustrating

Semper

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
You could just try using the Windows built in wireless utilities. Uncheck or click a box so you aren't using the HP wireless assistant to manage your wireless connections. Or uninstall the HP wireless assistant. The signal strength bars are kind of nice to have visible in the tray if you just want to keep the HP software just for that.

Two wireless utilities just don't seem to work well together sometimes.

You could also uninstall and re-install the HP wireless utility, if you really like the look of it, and want to give it another shot.

However, Windows wireless utilities work quite well by themselves. I have found that just letting Windows take care of the wireless connections takes care of some problems, with a few clicks of the mouse.

Troy

[edit on 22-1-2009 by cybertroy]

[edit on 22-1-2009 by cybertroy]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Hi,
You might know this already, but here is the HP Wireless networking center.
h20239.www2.hp.com...

If you go there, there's a troubleshooting page that automatically checks you're stuff out like....

Step 2 - Check your HP Notebook PC Software HP System Check for Notebook PCs compares known issues against current system software settings and hardware performance to detect and assist you with a solution.

Begin using HP System Check for Notebook PCs

Step 3 - Check Your Network Settings You may also use the HP Network Assistant to validate your wired and wireless network settings.

Start using the HP Network Assistant

etc, etc. Have a look at that, it might help you out.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Semper,

Wireless is natorius for being inconsistant.

I will work from the point of assuming (yeah, I know) you are using a third party (PARTY!!) wireless card in your desktop.

May I suggest:
1) Don't us Hp's wireless assistant.
2) Don't use Windows wireless assistant (seriously)

There should have been software that came with the card new, or you can download it.

Install "THAT" software and follow the wizard to completion.
It should also have a signal strength meter, use it to see what's going on.

Ok, that said, how far are you from the access point?
What is between the computer and the access point, mirrors/glass doors/stone walls, floors (as in 1st to second story)?

Look in the paperwork of wireless card and access point, can they both do "N"????
If so, by all means do that, seriously.

From where the Access point is, place it as high as possible, the antenna's butted up to the ceiling is optimal.

NOTE:
Wireless "G" can be affected by:
2.4 gig wireless phones
Microwave ovens (seriously)
Other peoples 2.4 gig access points

I know I gave you a lot to digest at once, try it and let me know here or in a u2u.

Now, lets hear it for the ATS Dancers:

:pbj time:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
MM

Thanks but it is NOT a third party card, it is "Built In" wireless and when I uninstalled the HP assistant and went with windows like CT advised, it seems to work better now..

And the Laptop and Router are only about 5 feet apart.

And the Network is a "G"

Thanks though

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Yeah, in some ways I hate wireless, because of it's annoyances, but it's really nice to roll around with a laptop without wires. You still can't beat the reliability of wired ethernet connections though.

semperfortis is actually still using the correct driver, which is the correct software for the device.

From there you have different choices of what software to use as far as managing the wireless connections. Windows own wireless software seems to work when the others don't, for whatever reason.

The problem is that laptops come with extra software to manage your wireless connections, and they seem to create problems sometimes. I seem to remember running into this at a previous job. When I worked over at Virginia Tech (yes, murder capital of the world according to the media) we would get machines in and before we gave them out, we reformatted them to get all the extra junk off of there.

It's kind of like with printers. You get 30 minutes of extra software install time, when all you really needed was the driver to get the printer to work. The extra software can be useful, but it isn't always necessary.

Troy

new topics

top topics

join