It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another new Earthquake fault discovered?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Wow, this is yet ANOTHER earth quake story, yet a new one now. Forgive me if this was posted anywhere else, I didnt see it.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — A previously unknown fault in eastern Arkansas could trigger a magnitude 7 earthquake with an epicenter near a major natural gas pipeline, a scientist said Wednesday.

I live in central Missouri, so I'm wondering how this will effect the New Madrid fault.

The fault, likely created in the last 5,000 years, sparked at least one magnitude 7 earthquake in its history. Such temblors cause massive destruction in their wake. "This is a very, very dangerous (area) at risk of earthquake," Al-Shukri said. "When you talk about (magnitude) 7 and plus, this is going to be a major disaster." Al-Shukri did not identify a time frame for the potential earthquake.

So, how concerned should we be, I wonder. They are saying there is a huge gas pipeline in the area, also.

FULL STORY
From November 2008

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Yummy Freelunch]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
If you live in the area, here is a link to the Arkansas EQ Center.

Arkansas EQ Center

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I heard a theory that the oil and gas pockets acted like a thermal/friction buffer and were the reason we have less geologic events than before the oil was laid down -maybe by sucking it out of the ground we're emptying the buffer and this is causing the crust to act more violently.

unlikely but i love the smell of doom in the morning.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Well, I sure dont want to be the bearer of DOOM..lol..but guess it's a fact

"This is a very, very dangerous (area) at risk of earthquake," Al-Shukri said. "When you talk about (magnitude) 7 and plus, this is going to be a major disaster."

What would the scenario be if the pipeline were to become damaged during an EQ? I'm assuming the safety features i.e shutoff valves would keep a major gas explosion from happening?

The researcher has said a gas pipeline crossed the newly discovered fault. He declined to name the company that owned the pipeline. Al-Shukri had said in a speech at the University of Arkansas' Clinton School of Public Service that the company was building a large line through the area, mirroring the old one's path.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
There seems to a lot of threads on Earthquakes here since the Yellowstone tremors in the tail end of December 08. Do you think this is all leading up to something? Some larger event perhaps?

IRM

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I dont know, but I know you are right that there are alot of EQ threads. Not to mention ALOT of EQ's happening lately. Maybe the earth is going through growing pains?

new topics

top topics

join