It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Honors McCain and Bipartisanship

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

How is this post about you?

I largely agree with your position on the broader subject of this thread, and you chastise me for 'nit picking'???

Am I the only one who finds it amusing that someone who extols the virtue of reaching across divide can't seem to do the very same in this very thread?

Makes me think 'fat chance' that things will work out well for Obama and those across the aisle.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Grow up, Loam.

Back to the topic of the thread:

The really great thing about this reach across the aisle movement is that SOME Republicans are showing a healthy interest.

Source

The outreach has gone beyond the phone calls that Obama, Emanuel and others routinely make, though the influence of that personal contact should not be underestimated. More substantively, though, the House Republican leadership has accepted Obama's invitation to put together its own ideas for economic recovery and said it would initially offer them as a part of the economic recovery package, not as an alternative as has been the usual practice.

The fervent courtship is turning the debate on the economic package into a test of whether the Obama White House can put an end to years of distrust between the parties and overcome their recent inability to shape consensus legislation.

It seems like it's not "our way" or "their way" or even a compromise, but Obama seems to be saying, "give me your plan. Give me your solution and let me look over it." It's not like there are 2 plans fighting for votes, but a good, solid plan, with input from both sides, that will hopefully really address the problem.

Unfortunately, there are those from both sides who are critical of Obama's attempts and still have the divisive mindset. It's going to be hard for some to let go of that because it's so ingrained in Washington DC politics.

And in shaping bills to win Republican support, Obama and his advisers risk alienating Democrats who may not be willing to make similar concessions, particularly when the party controls both Congress and the White House.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Grow up, Loam.

Serious?

Practice what you preach.

Of course, you could always just ignore me, if that wouldn't rob you of the opportunity to feel righteously superior to my positions.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
You're far too concerned about what I think and how I feel.

Ah, no. Don't flatter yourself, doll. I'm more concerned with pointing out the hypocracy of someone who will go to any length to give "King Obama" a pass and befriend anyone who sides with him. I'm simply pointing out the obvious - the rantings of a "fair weathered friend".

[edit on 21-1-2009 by sos37]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join