It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds to Charge Sanders In Yellowstone Evacuation Alert.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Looks like Mr.Sanders is in for federal charges.

I am glad to see this is finally coming to a close, a false alert like this is not what anyone wants to see, ever.

I figured that the feds would move on this, if he really wasn't what and who he claimed.

www.billingsgazette.net...

Legal action is being taken against a Web site operator who has misrepresented the U.S. Geological Survey in a warning that the area around Yellowstone National Park should be evacuated out of concern that the park's supervolcano could erupt.

"We started to take action as soon as we found out about it," said Jessica Robertson of the USGS, adding that the agency was notified on Friday.

The issue has been referred to the USGS's solicitor's office which is pursuing charges of impersonating a federal official as well as violation of the agency's trademark.

"Somebody went to some effort to make themselves look legitimate and put out a warning," Nash said. "We're concerned because it looks legitimate. It looks pretty official."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Should be a good lesson for all those who want to try to be something they are obviously not.

not one liner

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Poor guy. At least he's gonna have a new outfit to post on his website. A jumpsuit to be specific.
*Edit* took out rude joke.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by beaverg]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Should be a good lesson for all those who want to try to be something they are obviously not.

not one liner

Cheers!!!!

I don't think it is as much that as the person scared the poo out of a lot of people.

People have enough to worry about these days. I just don't understand why someone would resort to this hoax, unless he was mentally ill or really twisted.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/1/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
i have a hypothetical question

would he still be charged with a crime if the volocano did erupt in say, a few weeks?

just curious

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
I don't think it is as much that as the person scared the POO out of a lot of people.

People have enough to worry about these days. I just don't understand why someone would resort to this hoax, unless he was mentally ill or really twisted.

He simply was not thinking, which is what most take advantage of a situation types do. He did not bother to get any inside info or official info or anything, just took it upon himself to use credentials that are not even in the field and then used official government logos and slapped up a cry wolf video making people go into a near panic, lighting up the switchboards at USGS and FEMA offices all over the country.

He deserves whats comming to him.

It should be a lesson to all that not everything up on youtube and myspace is credible without some verifying collaborating data or testimony from known official sources.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 8-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

would he still be charged with a crime if the volocano did erupt in say, a few weeks?

just curious

Yes because the crime was committed against public trust and the use of official government logos that he was not authorized to use to begin with. Doesnt matter what happens a day from now or 200 years from now, the crime was committed.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

just curious

If Yellowstone erupts I don't think anyone will have to worry about being charged with anything. Just because of the size and magnitude, everyone would just be trying to survive the fallout.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Heh that would be his lucky day wouldnt it!

2nd line

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Demonstration of Eruption (Yellowstone, Hudson Bay)

www.youtube.com...

This You Tube video is my experiment to determine how a magma chamber would erupt if inundated by a lake.

I know where the fault that will rupture is located. I know how Yellowstone will erupt. And I know when.

Watch,and find out more,if you're curious. Ask a question and I'll provide the answer.
Sincerely,
Robin Marks

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Hmmm. Ok, so he used the logos and such. Ok. I was under the impression he just issued the warning himself. I was going to say, how is that a crime. That's like me telling my co-workers we should evacuate the building because I have been studying the structure.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

The USGS is seeking charges for impersonating a federal official as well as violation of the agency's trademark. I'm not sure about charges for the mass hysteria thing.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by beaverg]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I suggest for review, that this would be a good example of a "dry run" so to speak.

Who is to say that there is not some sort of imminent danger, and this could merely be a ploy to throw out any type of credulity.

What better way to gauge response than to have an individual, "who was clearly not official" , make bold statements. The frenzy revolving around the "warning" was most certainly a good indicator of the speed of which "leaked" information could and most certainly does circulate.

Facts:
Yellowstone has erupted before.
It will do so again.
The USA is toast if it does happen.
We have no idea when.
We have no way to tell when.
We lack established presidents.

Questions we should be asking:
Will we be able to have sufficient time to evacuate?
Where will we go?
Will it be far enough away?
Will Mexico open it's borders to US?
Can we survive?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I do not recall him impersonating an official. I do remember the not so subliminal of the USGS logo on the top of 'their' data he produced for evidence to back his claim of being a professional oil and chemical company owner with satellite pictures of a rising area in Yellowstone he claimed was rising magma toward the surface.

He has money, and after he pays through the nose, he will go onto his life as usual.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
USGS

USGS PRESS RELEASE
No Yellowstone Evacuation Warning Issued
Released: 1/8/2009

The USGS is not affiliated with a web site that recommends evacuation of Yellowstone National Park and bears the USGS logo. The USGS is not recommending the evacuation of the Park.

Officials at the USGS are working through the appropriate legal channels to have both the warning and logo removed from the web site.

Yesterday, the USGS issued a press release announcing that the swarm of earthquakes has stopped for now and may have ceased entirely.

"Changes in the alert level are announced through the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory Web site", reports YVO Scientist-in-Charge, Dr. Jake Lowenstern. "If an evacuation order were necessary, it would be handled through Yellowstone National Park and neighboring communities.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Another sad example of why Internet restriction is coming and may not be a bad thing. Youtube is one of the worst things ever foisted on the public, it's real effect has been encouraging attention-seeking behavior at any expense. It would be funny if he was right though and something did happen!

new topics

top topics

join