It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Bombs Mosque in Fallujah

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The U.S. has now shown its hand, and its seriousness in defeating the most recent Iraqi uprising. "Operation Vigilant Resolve" is in its third day, and the fighting is growing more intense. Iraqi insurgents were using a mosque in Fallujah as cover to fire on U.S. Marines in the area. After shots kept coming from inside the mosque, a Cobra helicopter gunship fired multiple Hell Fire missiles at the mosque. Shortly after words an aircraft dropped a laser-guided bomb on the mosque. The 40 insurgents inside of the mosque were killed. What is clear is that Iraqis can no longer count on hiding in mosque for protection from U.S. forces.

news.com.au
US marines pressing an offensive in this Iraqi town west of Baghdad bombed a central mosque today and killed up to 40 insurgents holed up inside, a marine officer said.

The bombing came after several hours of small arms and rocket-propelled grenades (RPG) fire from insurgents, which left three marines wounded, said Lieutenant Colonel Brennan Byrne.
He said there were "as many as 40 rebels" inside the mosque. "We want to kill the people inside," he added.
The officer said a Cobra helicopter gunship fired a Hell Fire missile at the mosque and then an aircraft dropped a laser-guided precision bomb.
Fallujah residents confirmed that the Abdulaziz al-Samarai mosque was hit along with the building of the Islamic Scholars' Association.

In the past, the U.S. would avoid inflicting any damage on a mosque for fear of retaliation from Muslims. Mosques were even avoided when they were known to have large weapons caches in them. Iraqis were hired to go into the mosques and remove the weapons, and U.S. forces steered clear of any confrontation that would damage a mosque. The targets in the past were the Iraqi national army, and those loyal to Saddam. Now that the soldiers of the opposition are Sunni Muslims, and choose to use their mosques as military bases, these mosques have become fair game in the war. This event should send a clear signal to Sunni insurgents that they are not safe, no matter where they may be hiding.

Video:BBC footage - real audio

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by dbates]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
In the past, the U.S. would avoid inflicting any damage on a mosque for fear of retaliation from Muslims.

Perhaps this is exactly what they want in order to unite them by believing the US is directly attacking their religion.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Jonna]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Jonna has a valid point. While I agree with the tactic of nailing them wherever they are (they do in fact denegrate a Mosque to "fair game" if they operate militarily from it) this is a VERY dangerous M.O..

If the Sunnis play this up, it could inste anger from the moderate Muslims who we need desperately on OUR side.

This situation is spiraling out of control based on what it looks like form here. Naturally we are only getting what the media shows us with their spin frimly in place be it conservative or liberal/ Republican or Democrat but I can't see how there is a realistic way out of this nightmare.

Like I said yesterday, we are truly at a crossroads in the Iraq campaign. 24 hours has passed and it's less clear to me what the right thing to do is.

m...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It's fair game, all the way. Maybe now they won't use mosques for protection. The moderate muslims should see where the disgrace is in the first place, and that is when this illegal militia first used the mosque for refuge and a place to attack coalition and iraqi forces. Though, I thought this would have been a good application for a thermobaric bomb to preserve the structure and kill the people inside. Or, aren't flechette rounds still in use?

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Are churches equally valid targets for those on the opposing side ?

I doubt chuches across Europe and the US have high security.It's a big thing to cover every Sunday.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I quess that it just goes to show that it is all going the already obvious way of a holy war and there is nothing more dangerous then someone killing in the name of a god because even if one dies, he or she believes that they will be vindicated and praised for their deeds in the next realm.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
Are churches equally valid targets for those on the opposing side ?

I doubt chuches across Europe and the US have high security.It's a big thing to cover every Sunday.

Thats where the right to bear arms comes in. Some bomb toting towl head (which would stick out like a sore thumb) aproaches a church, the slug from a .357 would lay his brain matter about 15-20 feet behind him.

If one church is attacked you can guarentee that church goers will arm them selves and secure their churches.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
If used in such a fashion as this illegal militia, then I'd say so, JB.

I just think and hope muslims realize that the coalition and iraqi forces - which have more in uniform than the coalition, if read correctly - aren't the ones desecrating the mosque, in the first place. I think it's the militia that is disgracing Islam by using the mosque in such a fashion. I'm sure there are other building in which they can fight from.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
"I think it's the militia that is disgracing Islam by using the mosque in such a fashion."

They believe their country is already defiled in the eyes of Allah because of the occupation of US troops.

All I'm saying is that when a US or European church is attacked one Sunday don't say it was unprovoked.In the last week alone we've had two cases of desecration one here and the other in Jerusalem.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The associated press is now reporting that the actual mosque building itself was not destroyed. The area that was targeted was the perimiter of the mosque, and only a wall surrounding the mosque was destroyed. If this is true, then
to the U.S. precision strike.

Source: independent.co.uk

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

All I'm saying is that when a US or European church is attacked one Sunday don't say it was unprovoked.In the last week alone we've had two cases of desecration one here and the other in Jerusalem.

If thats the case then, would an attack on Mosques in the US or Europe be classified as provoked?
Fair is fair now isn't it?

If churches start becoming the target of attacks by Islamic radicals, then it will turn in to the biggest holy war the world has ever seen.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I think,though our leaders deny it,it is a Holy War already.

The wests opponents are called terrorists but the west has always called it's opponents terrorists.

The Germans were terrorists,Hitler called the British commandos terrorists,the vietnamese were terrorists.

In reality they are soldiers fighting a geurilla war against a superior power.

Their actions are not random or in their eyes unprovoked.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
If we were really making war on Islam, there are many Mosques in the US that we could be taking out, but they are all still standing aren't they?

Now, do you think you will find any Christian churches in Saudi Arabia? No? Why is that? Guess Islam isn't very tolorent, is it?

Screw em. If you fire on us from a mosque, it's no longer a mosque. It's a bunker and we'll peel it open if you make us. Yes, this is an Islamic Holy War, declared by Islam on Western Culture and anyone who isn't Islamic. I'm just not sure where God is going to find enough virgins to accomidate all the misguided idiots who are going to kill themselves in this way.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Ambient Sound]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
What makes you say that they declared the war ?

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
I'm just not sure where God is going to find enough virgins to accomidate all the misguided idiots who are going to kill themselves in this way.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Ambient Sound]

This thread gives one theory. Rasins not Virgins

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient SoundNow, do you think you will find any Christian churches in Saudi Arabia? No? Why is that? Guess Islam isn't very tolorent, is it?

They had Christian churches in Iraq.
I'm not sure about Saudi Arabia.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Tariq Aziz (sp?) was a Christian. It just baffels me how he became so high up in that Govt. Being an "infidel"

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Saddam's Iraq was a pretty secular society, and loyalty meant way more to Saddam than religion, hence Tariq Aziz's presence in Saddam's gov't.
I am pretty certain that Christian churches are against the law in Saudi Arabia. it shouldn't take much searching on the web to confirm that - I'm just too busy to go looking for the info~

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The latest:
Marines used air support to breach a wall located several hundred yards away from the actual mosque structure." Yahoo link

So, you see, they didn't hit a mosque afterall.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Bob88]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
On Fox News, they said two Mosques had come under fire.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join