It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tejon Ranch RCS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I took a trip to snoop on the Tejon Ranch RCS, but decided to explore the Broken Arrow Ranch route than than the viewing location towards the south that you access from Rosamond. The spot I picked is used to reach power line for LA water and power. Unfortunately, the view isn't very good, though you are quite close to the Tejon ranch.

www.lazygranch.com...

A jpg2000 version of this shot is at
www.lazygranch.com...
You need to load the link from something other than IE (probably firefox for most people). You also need Irfanview to view a jp2 file.

I used a 400mm lens and a 1.4x teleconverter. I ran into a very clean truck that said "Ranch Security" on the side. Clearly, this is not the truck of a rancher. So I assume Tejon ranch has a remote camera or some other detector. I played at and mouse with the guy. He pulled off and parked to watch me, so I pulled off and parked to watch him. He then proceeded through the gate to the RCS, presumably parked there waiting for me to do something stupid. I took the road to the power lines instead.

I don't have the waypoint handy, but I took some shot with just the 400mm lens a few years ago.
www.lazygranch.com...
You take Rosamond west until it takes a sharp left turn, but at a location where you kind of keep going straight on a dirt road. You eventually reach a gate which I believe also goes to the Tejon Ranch. Park at the side of the road before that gate, and there is a trail to your right. Hike about a mile in and you can see the whole ranch. You will really need a telescope to see anything with detail.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
What were you looking for and are you still out there? You wouldn't happen to have any more panoramas would you? I hear that place is beautiful.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by beaverg]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

I was just passing through. The photos were taken on the afternoon of 12/1/2008. Note that this Tejon Ranch is on the other side of the mountain from the more famous Tejon Ranch
www.tejonranch.com...

Once you cross the mountain, it is substantially drier and thus not as scenic in the traditional sense. [For geeks, the RCS is more scenic.]

The Howland company, which builds similar facilities, preserved Tom Mahood's info on this facility:
www.thehowlandcompany.com...

Also, check out
www.thehowlandcompany.com...

The Northrup Facility is pretty remote. The easier one to see is the Lockheed facility in Helendale.

new topics

join