It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which cell phones DONT have builtin GPS tracking?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Q; Which cell phones DONT have builtin GPS tracking?

reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

A: Um... this one?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
One thought would be to modify a non-GPS hardware phone by attaching a can antenna. Then when used, you could point the can in the general direction of one cell tower, and the best they would be able to do would be to get a false area of ambiguity of somewhere where you are not. Just a thought.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv
One thought would be to modify a non-GPS hardware phone by attaching a can antenna. Then when used, you could point the can in the general direction of one cell tower, and the best they would be able to do would be to get a false area of ambiguity of somewhere where you are not. Just a thought.

If it's "just a thought", that's a pretty paranoid one.

OK, if you insist... Get a T-mobile phone, since that's the only provider who fully implemented UMA. Then use a proxy server, either free or paid one, to establish the Internet connection. Of course you would need to be in a vicinity of a hotspot. Voila!

...and of course there is always Skype, if the above sounds too complicated.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Well you could always leave your phone at home

Or use this tool to remove GPS possibilties, works for a RFID chips too

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by charlyv

If it's "just a thought", that's a pretty paranoid one.

OK, if you insist... Get a T-mobile phone, since that's the only provider who fully implemented UMA. Then use a proxy server, either free or paid one, to establish the Internet connection. Of course you would need to be in a vicinity of a hotspot. Voila!

...and of course there is always Skype, if the above sounds too complicated.

The context was how to fool a triangulation based upon signal strength, it was certainly not meant to be a practical everyday solution. I am well aware of communications technology as I am an engineer in that field. Sometimes, a simple little trick can spawn a viable solution. Just about everything that exists today in communications is because someone had a silly idea...

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Lol wow this thread so old iPhone's and Android phones didnt even exist when i started it.

I'm now prepared to answer my question myself: 900MHz cordless phones.

I can actually report I no longer have a cell phone, at least not one that costs $60 a month, activated that is. Only a -free- landline. Soon I'll actually remember everyones phone numbers again, like the good old days.

A Pager, hmm, it sure would be entertaining conversation piece material, and such contradiction would fit my character, but I doubt I'll get around to hassling with one.
edit on 21-5-2013 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sty

It's all relative now, but honestly, no electronic device is safe, via one way or another you can wirelessly attack the desired system via a number clever methods. Almost as clever as the tech of reading vibrations on a window to find out what people are saying inside an office. You can do the same in various senses with this tech, since everything is sending signals, learn how the signals work and then it's almost impossible not to experiment. I feel in love with wireless networking, since this form of tech is normally the most complicated but crucial, of course the mainstays are the bread and butter, but I enjoyed learning the hidden backdoor aspects of wireless networking, after having a few cyber attacks both remote and local....

Soon you'll not be able to fully turn off your devices, via some hidden ghost battery that powers only the system's basics to allow for pings.

This is of course one of a few ways we could go, at the same twist we could easily have devices that need not be turned off, or else we'd miss out on all the interesting things life has to offer, and will be able to send friends an image or text a place and get in our cars that take us there, no more accidents,

but google might require blood to power it....:/

edit on 21-5-2013 by Tranceopticalinclined because: Swag

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
in 2005 the FCC declared that 95% of cell phones in the us require GPS tracking.

If it was true they would have posted a link to the FCC site where they stated that!

Granted this is triangulation based location and not straight GPS.

From fcc.gov:

Phase II E911 rules require wireless service providers to provide more precise location information to PSAPs; specifically, the latitude and longitude of the caller. This information must be accurate to within 50 to 300 meters depending upon the type of location technology used.

If you think anyone will have any reason to find you and you'd rather they not ditching your phone is a priority. Even that $10 Tracfone from Walmart.

At one point the FCC did want to mandate GPS in every phone by 2018 but they've since dropped that requirement:

The Federal Communications Commission this week clarified that a recent order regarding enhanced 911 (E911) will not require all cell phones to have GPS by 2018.
PC Mag
edit on 21-5-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
when I go to bed I put the phone by the bed next to a radio.
every so often the radio makes funny noises.
its the mobile calling out/in.
but I can see nothing on the phone!

I know its the phone as if I move it away.
the sound dies off.
I wound what it sends?
as I dont use's it much.
does it tel Them ware I have been?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It would really mess with the spies heads if everyone who lived in the same block would swtich phones every night, 200 people 200 phones (40,000 different combinations) and the spooks does not know who has what phone.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Non-GPS based location, as mentioned was previously by triangulation and measured signal strength and resulted in a rough estimate of location, nothing like what was seen on TV at the time.

As the tech matured, they started measuring the actual time taken for the phone's signals to propagate. They can also use more than 3 sites to triangulate: any site which can hear the phone can be used. Therefore knowing which sectors of which towers the phone could be detected within and the time in flight of the signal gives them enough information to locate within better than 10 meters- accurate enough to get them within one room or floor of your actual location.

edit on 5/21/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

That is the phone performing various tasks like synchronizing its clock, broadcasting its presence to the site, et cetera.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join