It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Arkansas Earthquakes = New Madrid Warning!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
A number of small earthquakes in central Arkansas have scientist conerned and they have asked the University of Memphis to use their portable detection equipment to get better testing, currently they are now sensors in central Arkansas.

What worries the scientist is that most earthquakes are in the northeast corner of Arkasas near the New Madrid Fault. This new movement maybe a warning of a bigger event, like what happened in 1812 in New Madrid! Yikes!

Small Earthquakes in Arkansas could be a warning!

USGS Map

[edit on 11/29/08 by mel1962]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mel1962

Thanks for posting this, I have been kind of watching out for this since I am in an area that would be seriously affected by a New Madrid quake.

We felt the other one several months ago. I woke up and sat straight up in bed. Couldn't figure why the bed was shaking, and of course, dummy me thinks for a second, "oh, no, it must be demons!!"

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I'm in Central Arkansas.

Haven't felt a thing. Darn it.

I miss out on all the fun phenomena.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by chickenshoes

I've also been watching the map at usgs.gov and saw some increased activity in the New Madrid Area. This seems to be a side fault, maybe they fear this side faults will be up pressure on the main New Madrid fault! I am no Geologist, just speculating why there is such a concern from the scientific community on what appear to be a minor quakes in central Arkansas!

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I live in the NW corner of the state and we haven't felt a thing over here. Thank God. I'm still a little worried though, they say when the quake hit in 1812 it rang the church bells in Boston. Now THAT is what you call an earthquake.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I was reading that earlier on AOL,do you think Arkansas is going to slip off into the Mississippi river now?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Here is a very good web site on the New Madrid Fault, with many maps and graphics. Some interesting stuff!

New Madrid Fault

Some of the newspaper accounts are just fascinating from 1811 & 1812 quake events.

Newspaper Accounts of the 1811 & 1812 Quakes!

Also, some photo's of the damage from the quakes that was evident in the early part of the 1900's!

Amazing stuff, this is a really scarry scenario, I am going to continue to monitor especially if the geologically community is concerned. I won't be making any trips in the near future up the elevator of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis!

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I was raised in the Boot Hill of Mo. and it was normal to have small quakes .
I spoke to my family there about this and they said there have been more trimmers in the last year than normal.
Now that is just what they have felt so it may mean nothing.
We do know and have been warned that there is a big one due, but who knows when. When you go there to the Boot Hill area you can still see the damage to the land from the 1812 quake. The news papers of the time talk about how it was. And it was bad.

They spoke of how the land became so hot that you could not walk on it with out shoes. When the quake came the sky even became dark at noon.
One should really look up the old reports, it will make you think that is for sure.
And if one happened today there will be damage unlike what we have ever seen.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Oldtimer2

No, nothing that drastic, but it may move the Mississippi River Again!

Mississippi River ran backwards!

Not to mention the destruction to cities and area between St. Louis and Memphis!

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I have some friends in the Harrison area, there was even one there just a little over a year ago. I was there visiting and felt it.

www.katv.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Depending on the flood stage of the river when the quake hits, it is possible that as much as a one third to one half of the sate of Arkansas will be flooded, because the levees that hold the Mississippi back will be breached. God help us if it happens during a wet spring, or if there is a heavy snow melt. I have lived within five miles of The River all my life. I have seen water lapping over the top of the levee many times in my life. I don't like to think about it, but It may actually be a mini-tsunami if it happens when the water is really that high.
If we have a quake like the quake of 1811-12 now, the destruction is going to be unbelievable. The entire infrastructure is going to be dystroyed. If it is in the summer, we'll be a little uncomfortable, but we'll be okay. If it's spring or winter, the death toll from drowning and /or hypothermia will be unimaginable. We can prepare somewhat, but there is no way you can guarantee that you will be able to reach your supplies.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I live in towards the SW corner of central Arkansas and there has been a rise in small earth quakes in this area. There was one in the town right next to me three weeks ago and one in my town about two weeks ago. I thought it was odd but didn't think much of it. Looking at this makes me wonder.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I was listening to coast to coast with George Noory on Nov. 10th and he had on Brent Miller of the Horizon project who was discussing how a large gravatational field has been increasing the frequency of earthquakes and other natural events since 1998 and that it will continue to get worse as we near 2008.

Coast to Coast Nov. 10th, 2008

Horizon Project Web Site

Looks like we could get be in for some rough earth changes if this stuff is true.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Here's another link that shows the topo and aerial of the quake

neic.usgs.gov...

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Central Arkansas is home to Hot Springs, a city that grew up around its namesake spas. The springs have 143-degree waters rushing to the surface continuously.

AP

This is where they have been feeling many small quakes as of lately. Its a little ways away from Madrid fault but this is the area that they are having the School check out.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mel1962

The webbot said a huge "vomiting loses" quake would hit Dec. 10th -15th that would require other countries to help.

The other day, the webbot started mentioning New Madrid as a possiblity.

I live in Tennessee - so I am a little worried.

also in webbot "crack heard around the world" - and that the quakes would keep coming in aftershocks.

Tell people to get prepared!

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I am curious as to how you prepare for a devastating earthquake.

If one hits that moves along the New Madrid fault line I don't see any way to prepare.

Earthquakes generally take out the general area.

Please tell me how to prepare, except for moving!

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

What is webbot? It sounds interesting, does it track internet words or traffic?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
I am curious as to how you prepare for a devastating earthquake.

If one hits that moves along the New Madrid fault line I don't see any way to prepare.

Earthquakes generally take out the general area.

Please tell me how to prepare, except for moving!

Other than moving or being warned and evacuating, I don't know what you can do. I know you want to be in a structure if possible that is built on bedrock. otherwise that river valley of silt shakes like jello! I guess I would store food, water, have back generation for power and keep the car filled with gas and maybe build or re-inforce my home if possible!

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

To prepare, is to get many days of water together and food.

the government information they released the other day about New Madrid gave statistics of people killed, but also about no utilities including water for 2 months or more in the Earthquake area.

Preparing is getting neccessities together for a duration of having to be independent from food, water, electricity. Getting clothes items together for being against the elements.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join