It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama not back the car industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Obama, on Sunday, stepped down from the US Senate seat. This coming from just two days before a major vote to bail out the US car industry. This doesn't look like the actions of someone who is really concerned with the passage of any pack that can help save jobs and keep the car manufactures in the black. When it passes and then vetoed from the President, they need to have a 2/3 vote to over turn a decision from the President. Don't you think that if he really cared for this bills passage and more over the people who he stumped for votes from to make sure that they will keep their job and stay in the Senate and make sure that the bill goes through, or does he rather have them file for bankruptcy and actually make the employees take a pay cut after the autoworkers union contract would have to drastically reworked. Such things like health care would have paid by the employees and wage ceilings. Maybe I am looking too much into it but that is the message he is sending to me, John Q Voter.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
"True colors come shining through"...lalalala.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bigvig316

Many people have mixed feelings about bailing out the Automobile industry. There are those who feel it is a necessary backbone to our economy, especially in states like Michigan, and it must be bailed out to protect American jobs. However there are also those who know that if we bail out another industry, more ailing companies will turn to the government for money. In the end, the burden will fall on the taxpayer.

I don't know the circumstances of Obama's leaving the Senate or if he even has a choice of when to do it. Either way it seems the democrats want the auto bailout to pass so he probably would have voted for it anyway.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I don't like obama but definitely do not think that the automotive industry should be bailed out. All they have done is chase profits through the SUV markets, yet make no attempts at fuel efficient cars in the U.S. yet can release them in Europe. They pulled any electric car off the market and refuse to re-release them. If GM re-released the EV1, most people would run to the lots to get one due to the savings they would get out of a gas free and nearly maintenance free car.

They signed their own certificate by not looking after anything but profits. Let them fall and give that money to the companies who are trying to develop and release gas free cars to the public.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
On a personal note, I don't think they should either and think that bankruptcy, in the long run, will be a good thing for them. Sometimes, a failing business has to fail. I hope that with the restructuring things will work out and they can get back to making cars affordable and the way people want them and fuel efficient.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If US automakers are to be successful in the future they need to get rid of the union.

Look at the foreign automakers...they have plants right here in the US that are union free and are doing pretty good.

Let GM, Ford, and Chrysler all go bankrupt...re-organize...then come back union free.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Getting rid of the unions is not the answer unless you basically flush all of thier manegment.

The foreign automakers do not need unions because they treat thier employees correctly, pay a decent wage etc.. However the track records of the Big Three is hardly exemplary eh?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
No way should the auto industry be bailed out! If the auto industry crashes, there will be plenty of start ups to fill the gap. The government should instead offer the money to auto companies that make "green" vehicles. Let Detroit reap what it has sown.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
GM is supposedly doing very well in China, and other foreign countries, so, let China bail them out for a higher stake in GM manufacturing there in China and for parts. If GM plans on making a revised drive train system such as the slave hybrid system, than those can be produced in the U.S.

I still think they are getting what they deserve for their greed and killing the electric car as a gift for the oil industry and OPEC. OPEC wants to keep it's large profits for pumping even less oil? We have to do something fast.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
all bailling out the automakers will do is prolong the inevitable. I don't think Obama has to give up his seat in the senate until Jan.20th when he is sworn in as POTUS. But i Think it would be unethical if he remained in the senate and voted on the bailout.

My line of thinking is this. If he votes for it while in the senate and if it gets stalled in the house until after Jan. 20th there won't be any checks and balances between 2 of the branches of Government.

So i see what he's doing and actually agree with his thinking. Remove myself from office then if its delayed i can sign it into law if i agree with the bill that passes.

top topics

join