It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell? - I've never seen this!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
thanks will do
kind of exciting though...unless it like ripped my house apart. i doubt it will hapen though *knock on wood*

Edit: I just checked my city and it just says wind advisory so im goood. good luck though hope it doesnt happen

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Shocka]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
yea I think they've lifted the tornado watch...

thank god... i didn't want that looming over my head all night haha...

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Shocka

yeah we had one in CT for Fairfield and litchfield counties. It expired about 10 minutes ago =)

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Good to hear! Rest easy.

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JipStix

The weather is definitely weird. I guess that's why we still have a whole buttload of people studying it and watching what it does.

I'm in California. Earthquakes are more what we're watching out for here, but Tornados do happen here from time to time, just not too often.

Wherever you are, be prepared for everything.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Odd as it is we too have had a few tornadoes up here in the Adirondak Mountains of Northern New York. I grew up in the mid-west so I was use to them there...BUT IN THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS!?!?! Its a whole new Earth.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven
Yea Tornado's can certainly scare a person.

In Tulsa, Oklahoma they have Tornado sirens. They are loud.

Funny thing is when they go off everyone comes outside to see if they can see a Tornado.

Same where I live. Isnt that funny?

To the OP, It is just a watch, which means the weather conditions are favorable for one to form. If there is a tornado warning then you should keep your eye out.

No need to huddle in the basement. I have been through a tornado myself.

Tornados up north are rare but not unheard of. The best advice I can give you is, when in doubt, take cover.

If you arent sure, its better to be safe than sorry. But for a tornado watch there is no reason to worry.

make sure you have plenty of batteries, a flash ligh, candles, a radio with baterries in it. You know, the basics.

As long as you stay calm and and are prepared you will be just fine.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Most people are surprised when I tell them about the tornadoes we have here in Florida.
They think hurricanes, but we get tornadoes during bad storms, especially after hurricanes.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It does get the heart thumping. We never used to get many if any here in Central NY, but it seems since the last ten years give or take we've been getting more of them. Seems the whole things changing. Are stongest storms used to come in from the east, now they come in from the south west.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321
It does get the heart thumping. We never used to get many if any here in Central NY, but it seems since the last ten years give or take we've been getting more of them. Seems the whole things changing. Are stongest storms used to come in from the east, now they come in from the south west.

You are so rite. With family still in the mid-west all I have to do to get tomorrows forecast for my area is call back home and see what weather they are having now.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I heard one go over my house on 28/12/07 and told my wife. ... She thought that I was kidding until she was late to work the following morning due to the clean up crews and power company workers 4 miles down the road from where we live.... No One was hurt but there was lots of damage.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

We have tornados in the hills of the Ozarks all the time. It isn't that they can't form in hilly areas, but more correctly that when they do, they often skip over the top of lower lying valleys.

Not always, but a lot of the time they kinda JUMP from hilltop to hilltop. Now, if they have the intensity to stay formed while descending into a valley area, watch out, you are dealing with a very, very powerful storm.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by JipStix

Wow you guys will deffinantly have to live in houses with deep basements like us midwesterns.

HAARP

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I know what you mean. I live in ellicott city, MD and we haven't had a hint of tornadoes since i've lived here (about 20 years). Then yesterday i checked weather.com and had a tornado watch as well and I was blown-away! :] pun.

The weirdest part though was that when I checked the websites radar, it showed the storm cloud as a thin vertical strip. It's shape resembled a tear or a rip, but that's the best way for me to describe it as i didn't take a screen shot
. When it passed over my location, the wind hadn't been blowing very much for the time preceding it (i had my widnow open). It took about thrity seconds: the wind kicked up ridiculously hard, i looked out my window, and then the torrential downpour started. Less than a minute later everything was relatively calm again.

i'm gonna try and find that radar picture and post it. Although I am not a weather expert by any means, this way by far the oddest looking cloud i'd ever seen.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CSquared288

That is typical of tornadic activity here where I live. These things often spawn out of "super cells" which can be very small on the radar screen but pack one HELL of a punch.

I've heard it argued that large tornado outbreaks can be much more devastating than even some hurricanes.

I've heard of more than 50 tornados accompanying one storm system. Scary stuff, the wind is ferocious.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
My late parents were both born and lived much of their lives in Kansas. (Over 60 years) 25 years ago they saw their only tornado when they were on vacation (NY/NJ border!!!)
The west Coast has tons of faults and earth quakes, but the New Madrid Fault (most powerful Quake in recorded US history) runs through Missouri..
Just remember 'stuff happens'

top topics

<< 1   >>

join