It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Classicals and Inheritors (Vampires)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
ok, im a little behind on my chemistry n biology. doesnt a`magnesium deficiency make u anemic?? just asking. I think ur right about the psi-vampires. My mothers one of the people who drains energy from people. But shes not a vampire i dont think she does it on purpose. My sister is a pagan and she had a different term for it. But it goes along with psychic abilities. I believe some people are in tune with nature and spirits more than others. But my mom doesnt. So i think in her religion, if she ever realized she did this. it would just be some one craving attention so much that when ur with them, they take all that u have to give. its very exhausting. my daughter does it also. But i'm hoping to help her grow out of it. I'm trying to get her to practice down and alone time. Time to entertain herself so she can realize there is a different way to re-energize.

so, it could be that since religion is started being out wieghed by science, that's why they're coming up with these theories? Other than pop-culture or folklore, has there ever been someone to actually prove these theories? that you know of. Or is this what were trying to figure out?

I've read a couple of scientific looking sights on dna capping for immortality. would that be like the same thing the disease or whatever it is is supposed to do?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bellexista
I've read a couple of scientific looking sights on dna capping for immortality. would that be like the same thing the disease or whatever it is is supposed to do?

at either end of a dna helix there are binders, like on a lace. each time a cell divides these bindings get a little shorter untill eventually they are too short to do their job and the DNA degrades. it is believed that this is a factor in the aging process and stopping this shortening you will slow down aging. is this what you're referring to?.

if you take a look at this link (viral reproduction) you will see that a virus manipulates a cell and uses it's components in order to reproduce itself. if a virus caused immortality instead of death it would have to repair DNA in more cells than it destroyed in reproduction.

it's possible, likely even, that in the future a virus that does just this will be developed in a lab but i can't see the advantage to the virus to evolve in this manner, naturally.

[edit on 19/11/08 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I think ur right about the psi-vampires. My mothers one of the people who drains energy from people. But shes not a vampire i dont think she does it on purpose.

Doesn't this tell you something? That when 'proof' of vampires can be explained by fairly commonplace and mundane things like this you have to ask just how much veracity is there in the 'reality' of vampires?

so, it could be that since religion is started being out wieghed by science, that's why they're coming up with these theories?

I think there's manifold reasons why this might be. Traditionally, denying the supernatural was a double-edged sword as to deny the darker side of the supernatural - because 'it just couldn't exist' - also cast religion, specifically the Christianity that's dominated the West for so long, under the light of scrutiny too. Whilst Christianity had such a tight grasp on society, it was perhaps unwise to manoeuvre Christian supernatural belief into the same potentially vulnerable ground.

It's 2008 now and people are less afraid of picking holes in supernatural belief - whether it's ghoulies and ghosties or the Christian church (other religions are also available). All supernatural belief is 'fair game' to scrutiny, to it's always a case that some believers at least feel the need to up their game in terms of proof. A fairly recent shift in quasi-religious belief is 'intelligent design' where a fairly typical belief is, to all intents and purposes, dressed-up in the attempt to placed it in a scientific framework. Whether that actually works or not is immaterial, the intent is important here.

The same goes for the other kind of supernatural belief. There's an attempt to reframe the thinking in other ways as traditional takes on the subject just don't cut it now. People want explanations now as faith - in anything - is a relatively short commodity. So with vampires, lycanthropes, ghosts and so on, people are now looking for scientific - read: acceptable or plausible - explanations as to why they exist.

Also, for the wannabe, it means being able to fake things in a slightly more 'realistic' way. Claiming to be 300 years old, originally from the Caparthian region, only coming out at night and sleeping in a coffin of soil from the 'Old Country' is a lot harder to pass off than a blood disorder.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

I also heard about something that changes the rna. That way the body is not able to fight it off like an infection. What is that?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

So proving vampires exist is almost as rediculous as proving Jesus did? I believe in God. But I don't know why. Maybe because I was raised Christian and it feels wrong to deny him. But I believe that what these preachers say is evil, is not always evil. But a way to keep us innocent. I don't know. I don't feel like trying to prove everything ever mentioned was wrong or right. Yet, I can't believe in something and believe something else, if I don't look into all of it.

This sux!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

reply to post by Merriman Weir

So proving vampires exist is almost as rediculous as proving Jesus did?

Where did I say that? That's not something I actually said in my post.

What I was saying is that it wasn't until the 20th C, when the influence of Christianity started to wane, that people science really came to the fore in scrutinising the supernatural. As both religion and the likes of vampires are supernatural beliefs - I'm using that term objectively - it was foolhardy to try to and disprove things that go bump in the night when the same reasoning could be applied to the likes of Christianity.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I was making my own comment about how I felt about it! I wasn't saying that's what you were saying. I've been thinking about that for awhile now. About how many people have been able to prove Jesus' existence. It'd be hilarious if a "vampire" got on here and said he was alive while Jesus was!
I think I'd just die from not breathing I would be laughing so hard! But how do we know the bible is real? Especially when so many people say there are parts missing or rewritten so many times? I mean, Lilith, 'the first female vampire', 'the first wife of Adam', she's not in the bible. But she's in the Hebrew bible. Did the preists not think we could handle to truth about what kind of evil is out there? or did the Jew's make it up? I wish I had a time machine!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bellexista

changes it's ma? i'm not sure what you mean by "ma"?

the HIV virus mutates and evolves very quickly making it difficult to treat. i'm not absolutely clear on the mechanism, but as i understand it, the HIV virus changes faster than the human body can develop an immunity to it. is that what you mean?

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

changes it's ma? i'm not sure what you mean by "ma"?

the HIV virus mutates and evolves very quickly making it difficult to treat. i'm not absolutely clear on the mechanism, but as i understand it, the HIV virus changes faster than the human body can develop an immunity to it. is that what you mean?

Ha! I thought that too when I first saw it. She actually wrote 'r n a' - ribonucleic acid - but the way the type kerning is rendered, the 'r' and the 'n' run together to look like an 'm'.

One of the fallacies about the use of dna and rna in relation to vampires that I've seen perpetuated on 'hey! vampires are real!' sites is that - and I've seen this said several times - is that non-believers somehow don't think the actual mechanics of mutation is possible. That's not actually true, you don't have to be a boffin with an Phd in molecular biology to accept any of that. To accept that mutation is possible is a very different thing than it is actually happening in the way that these sites are claiming it is: mutations are creating vampires right now.

Possibility isn't the same as 'actually happening' and besides, it's no different than the point I made about rabies or porphyria as medical 'explanations', if you have rabies or porphyria, that's not vampirism but a medical condition.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Yes, that is what I mean. Maybe that is why it sounds familiar. That is said to be the closest virus to the V5 virus (in comparison to how it infects the human body). That and the common flu! lol.

And I didn't say ma. I said rna (RNA).... maybe i accidentally put m instead of n. But I meant it changes the RNA instead of the DNA to where it ends up reprinting the DNA... Something like that.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Merriman-

I got the movie Ultraviolet. I'm not sure if it's the same as the British TV series. I was wondering if you knew. It talks of hemophages who have fangs and contracted a virus that is spread by blood exposure. I don't know. I haven't watched it yet. I was just wondering if it was based off of the tv series you mentioned.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
r n a, not ma, i'm such a dope.
thats so funny.

merriman, i see your point but there is the "walks like a duck, talks like a duck..." argument. an immortal person who sleeps in the day and goes out sucking blood at night, for whatever reason, could be fairly classed as a vampire, don't you think?

but if we carry on in this vein of discussion i vote that we start a thread to discuss the number of angels that could reasonably be expected to stand on the head of a pin.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Angels on the head of a pin??? Honestly, I don't think there is a number. But that's just because I was raised to know angels are everywhere in infinite space. But who knows? None of us are dead to where we can ask God!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

In the vampire community classical vampires don't excist. There are 2 basic types of vampires(Energy and Sang). Their feeding habits differ but all are trying to regain an energy deficet. Some have some form of heighten abilities. Most are just "normal". It is believed to be some sort of virus they are born with which usually manifest during pubicence. There are 2 vocal leaders in this community. M. Belanger for the energy vampires and D. Henrie for the sang's. To answer your question it is not possible. Sorry for the misspelling I've been up a long time.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join