It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all foreigners/non-U.S. citizens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I was born in the USA. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm probably not worth my weight in salt as pertaining to my knowledge of foreign policy issues. I'd like to understand more about how the upcoming US presidential election affects you if you are not from here; I'm looking for honesty. If I was going to be relocating to your country permenantly, who would I want to vote for & why? Specifics are appreciated & I don't care if your opinions are supported with facts, but they are also appreciated. Thanks for your input, plainmike

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Come to Australia mate

Seems were still slightly untouched by the rest of the world so get in now while you still can lol

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Choose the Philippines. There are a quarter of a million Americans living here.

Just the thought of America voting for McCain would surely run the world economy to the ground.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Disclosure Agent

Agreed! Australia is the place to be. The people are more relaxed, friendly and down to earth. Our political system (Westminster System) is much better and far less convoluted than the American model too!

Our cities are beautiful, we have far less violence per capita than the US and very little gun crime in comparison. Our gun laws are very strict! Our produce and wine are better, our beaches are better and the surf is amazing!

Oh yeah... our first language is English too!

You'd be a fool not to buy your ticket and a large tube of suntan lotion now!

IRM

[edit on 21/10/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
For good or bad, for the last 50 years or so, America has pushed itself on to the world's centre stage. Certainly for the last 20 or 30 years, America has been the dominant cultural factor across the world. You asked for honesty, and personally I don't appreciate this. Not in a 'I wish that was us' sense, but because I don't actually like much of what's imported/exported. This ranges from 'gang culture' and all that surrounds it to the idea that 'American values' are the only way to go and should be spread across the globe like cultural missionary project.

Unfortunately, for various reasons, one of the big American exports of recent years is war. Your recent governments at least give the impression that America is big on war. Sadly, when America goes to war, it means that due to various treaties and agreements, other countries also get dragged in and that includes mine. The next American President's attitudes to foreign relations is a serious issue for the rest of the world, and that's not just the 'enemies' of America but also America's 'friends'.

As for who you'd vote for if you lived in Britain: I have no way of knowing as you don't really give much indication of what your present political beliefs. However, Britain also suffers from the same flawed voting system as America as it's an ostensibly 2 party system that is actually more a see-saw than a legitimate choice.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Thanks Merriman, you make some good points. I want to know how I might be affected if either candidate, or even a 'write in', makes it into the oval office if I am you & living in your country/region.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Australia is a good choice...and its quite near to SEA countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and many more..

but if you want the best out of the greenback, perhaps thailand and philiphine is good..anyhow..looking how the greenback is going, it doesn't make a different anyway..it will be getting more expensive..heheheh

so is Malaysia, if you want to give it a try, i have a friend from Detroit,Michigan who is now living in Malaysia...he love it here

the exchange rate for Ringgit Malaysia to a Dollar is MYR 3.4 to 1 USD
though malaysia is a Muslim country, we are pretty much liberal, we have bars and pubs that is open till 3am in the morning...and foodstalls that is open 24/7

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by plainmike

Hi from the Netherlands. I think the Usa is of great influence for the rest of the world and thus the president is important too. From what I've learned in history books (mind you they don't have to be correct so it's just what I've read in there)is that democratic presidents tend to focus more on the USA itself while republicans focus more on foreign affairs.

I don't want the USA to focus on foreign affairs because they did so long enough. There's enough to repair within the US such as the economy for example
!!!

Of course US's economy is affecting us big time too.

We are a country in which credit cards are still rare and I would like to keep it that way. I don't want to be dragged in to the cosumer society where spending is of utter most importance. However it seems like mr. Bush kindly suggests that we should head there.

So my vote would be for Obama. Not that he will do anything better, American presidents tend to be a mess. (So do dutch ones!) I think somewhere in time we lost our brains or something when we decided to give power to politicians. They are of all the most unfit people to run a country.

Sorry for the rant but I sure feel relieved now. To all Americans... I may not like your president but I have nothing against you guys/girls!

join