It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"There is no question that western Pennsylvania is a racist area"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
So says U.S. Rep. John Murtha.

The 17-term Democratic congressman tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in a story posted Wednesday on its Web site that, as he put it: "There is no question that western Pennsylvania is a racist area."

Full Article

Good job Murtha.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Murtha has shown over the years that he has a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

But, obviously, his constituants don't care. 17 terms......lordy mercy, Congress needs term limits.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Agreed.

Not only does Murtha once again show his true colors with this remark by calling most of a state that Obama needs to win racists, he also dismisses them with a "who cares" attitude.

He says even though they are racists, Obama will still win by a comfortable margin, maybe only losing about 4 points.

So now PA is made up of gun toting, bible clinging, racists who harbor antipathy towards those that aren't like them.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Wow, I can't believe a politician would come out and say that. There are a lot of people in western PA that are surely not going to take that comment well.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Have you ever been to Westle-vania though? This is pretty much spot on in my experience. Outside of the 'burgh that is.

although we have quite a bit in the east too:

www.splcenter.org...=PA

[edit on 15-10-2008 by ldunquist]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Wow, I can't believe a politician would come out and say that. There are a lot of people in western PA that are surely not going to take that comment well.

This isn't the first time Murtha has said something way out of line like this.

I agree that there are a lot of people, and not just in western PA but all over PA, who are going to take quite a bit of offense to that remark. Especially considering this isn't the first time they've been attacked like this.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ldunquist

Westle-vania HA!! I love it! I spent alot of time there in Westle-vania, and I must agree with you. There's a whole buncha low IQ natives. Any many own guns (they hunt up there) They grow a mean garden. But the population is very mixed, and does tend to be on the segregated side. I didn't read the whole article, but I can also agree with term limits on Congress with out that info. But... Westle- vania.... LMAO I'm gonna star you just for that!!

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

Well, also I wouldn't exactly say they are 'racist' so much as 'provincial'. Distrustful of outsiders. I am a life-long Pennsylvanian, by the way, but from the east. Now I live right in the center so I get the best of both worlds.

Don't forget, Westlevania also gave the world Rick Santorum. And if it sounds like I'm saying that like its a disease, that's because he pretty much was.

top topics

join