It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GIANTS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Alright, you want giants, I'll give you giants. I'm sure we're all aware of the stories of giants in the Bible and the various giant legends all the way up through the middle ages. I first learned about the widespread-ness of giant "mythology" from a David Larkin book called "Giants;" I took off running with the bibliography.
Here's a few articles:

Giant Skeletons

In his book, The Natural and Aboriginal History of Tennessee, author John Haywood describes "very large" bones in stone graves found in Williamson County, Tennessee, in 1821. In White County, Tennessee, an "ancient fortification" contained skeletons of gigantic stature averaging at least 7 feet in length.
Giant skeletons were found in the mid-1800s near Rutland and Rodman, New York. J.N. DeHart, M.D. found vertebrae "larger than those of the present type" in Wisconsin mounds in 1876. W.H.R. Lykins uncovered skull bones "of great size and thickness" in mounds of Kansas City area in 1877.
George W. Hill, M.D., dug out a skeleton "of unusual size" in a mound of Ashland County, Ohio. In 1879, a nine-foot, eight-inch skeleton was excavated from a mound near Brewersville, Indiana(Indianapolis News, Nov 10, 1975)
A six foot, six inch skeleton was found in a Utah mound. This was at least a foot taller than the average Indian height in the area, and these natives- what few there were of them -were not mound builders.
"A skeleton which is reported to have been of enormous dimensions" was found in a clay coffin, with a sandstone slab containing hieroglyphics, during mound explorations by a Dr everhart near Zanesville, Ohio.(American Antiquarian, v3, 1880, pg61)
Ten skeletons "of both sexes and of gigantic size" were taken from a mound at Warren, Minnesota, 1883. (St. Paul Pioneer Press, May 23, 1883)
A skeleton 7 feet 6 inches long was found in a massive stone structure that was likened to a temple chamber within a mound in Kanawha County, West Virginia, in 1884. (American Antiquarian, v6, 1884 133f. Cyrus Thomas, Report on Mound Explorations of the Bureau of Ethnology, 12th Annual Report, Smithsonian Bureau of Ethnology, 1890-91)
A large mound near Gasterville, Pennsylvania, contained a vault in which was found a skeleton measuring 7 feet 2 inches. Inscriptions were carved on the vault. (American Antiquarian, v7, 1885, 52f) click here for full article
In 1885, miners discovered the mummified remains of woman measuring 6 feet 8 inches tall holding an infant. The mummies were found in a cave behind a wall of rock in the Yosemite Valley. click here for full article
In Minnesota, 1888, were discovered remains of seven skeletons 7 to 8 feet tall. (St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 29, 1888)
A mound near Toledo, Ohio, held 20 skeletons, seated and facing east with jaws and teeth "twice as large as those of present day people," and besides each was a large bowl with "curiously wrought hieroglyphic figures." (Chicago Record, Oct. 24, 1895; cited by Ron G. Dobbins, NEARA Journal, v13, fall 1978)
The skeleton of a huge man was uncovered at the Beckley farm, Lake Koronis, Minnesota; while at Moose Island and Pine City, bones of other giants came to light. (St. Paul Globe, Aug. 12, 1896)
In 1911, several red-haired mummies ranging from 6 and a half feet to 8 feet tall were discovered in a cave in Lovelock, Nevada. click here for the full article
In February and June of 1931, large skeletons were found in the Humboldt lake bed near Lovelock, Nevada. The first of these two skeletons found measured 8 1/2 feet tall and appeared to have been wrapped in a gum-covered fabric similiar to the Egyptian manner. The second skeleton was almost 10 feet long.(Review - Miner, June 19, 1931)
A 7 foot 7 inch skeleton was reported to have been found on the Friedman ranch, near Lovelock, Nevada, in 1939.(Review - Miner, Sept. 29, 1939)
In 1965, a skeleton measuring 8 feet 9 inches was found buried under a rock ledge along the Holly Creek in east-central Kentucky. click here for the full article

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
By Dave Cain

For MARION PRIDE

"On the earth there once were giants." Greek poet Homer wrote in 400 B.C.

Of the many archaeological mysteries, one of the most enigmatic has been discoveries of giant prehistoric human skeletons.

Marion County was home to part of the ancient civilization which historical accounts and artifacts indicate existed in this region - a culture with many clues and questions concerning its existence. What mysterious people constructed earthen forts, burial mounds, macadamized roadways? Who left pictographs, inscribed stones and giant skeletons lo be discovered?

In the 1850s while excavating a root cellar in Palatine (East Fairmont), workers uncovered two very large human skeletons. Measuring the bones, people were amazed to find the entombed humans had been more than 7 feet tall.

Many curious onlookers observed the skeletons which mysteriously disappeared overnight, apparently stolen for greedy purpose. A lucrative market in "Indian relics" existed in the early I9th century. Artifacts from all over Marion County were sold to travelers and purchasing agents representing Eastern museums.

It was reported that hundreds of ancient pieces of pottery, flint weapons, stone carvings and skeletons were peddled at the Valley Falls railroad station. Some of the finest specimens were purchased by visiting German royalty and taken to Europe as curios.

In 1875 workmen were constructing a bridge near the mouth of Paw Paw Creek at Rivesville. While digging through heavy clay soil they were astonished to uncover three giant skeletons strands of reddish hair clinging to the skulls. A local doctor was called to examine the remains.

Exposure to air deteriorated the bones rapidly to but the doctor was able ascertain after careful measurement, the skeletons had supported people approximately 8 feet tall.

In September 1882 amateur archaeologist F.M. Fetty and his wife were exploring along White Day Creek. As Mr. Fetty crawled back into the recesses of an over-hanging cliff shelter he noticed an unusual pattern in the rock formation.

Upon close examination a false wall was discovered in the back of the shallow cave. Removing several large stones the Fettys were startled by what they found. The remains of a giant human in a sitting position with artifacts of stone and flint surrounding the prehistoric cadaver.

In the summer of 1883 James A. Faulkner unearthed an unusually large human skeleton in the same area. Dr. Samuel Kramer of Smithtown measured this skeleton and found it to be 7 feet 4 inches long. Dr. Kramer deduced the living person must have been almost 8 feet tall.

There have been historical references to a mystic race of giant red-haired humans inhabiting this continent in the distant past. Respected Biblical scholars think a lost tribe from Israel once lived in North America. Evidence exists of 5th-century Irish monks exploring West Virginia. Many questions remain to be answered.

Everyone loves a mystery and these giant skeletons reported by reputable people would make Sherlock Holmes scratch his head. This is another intriguing story of Marion County's past that will forever be unexplained.

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Giant Skeleton in Pennsylvania Mound

from Ancient Man: A Handbook of Puzzling Artifacts, William R Corliss, Sourcebook Project, 1978.
American Antiquarian, 7:52, 1885.

A large Indian mound near the town of Gasterville, Pa., has recently been opened and examined by a committee of scientists sent out from the Smithsonian Institute. At some depth from the surface a kind of vault was found in which was discovered the skeleton of a giant measuring seven feet two inches. His hair was coarse and jet black, and hung to the waist, the brow being ornamented with a copper crown. The skeleton was remarkably well preserved. Near it were also found the bodies of several children of various sizes, the remains being covered with beads made of bone of some kind. Upon removing these, the bodies were seen to be enclosed in a net-work of straw or reeds, and beneath this was a covering of the skin of some animal. On the stones which covered the vault were carved inscriptions, and these when deciphered, will doubtless lift the veil that now shrouds the history of the race of people that one time inhabited this part of the American continent. The relics have been carefully packed and forwarded to the Smithsonian Institute, and they are said to be the most interesting collection ever found in the United States. The explorers are now at work on another mound in Barton county, Pa.

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Giant Amerindians

by Chad Arment

Most archaeologists who specialize in North American studies give little credence to reports of an extinct race of giant Amerindians. It is true that most reports of giant skeletons have been shown to be hoaxes or have lead to dead-ends when an investigator attempts to track down the bones. Circumstantial evidence abounds in the form of snippets of reports in various semi-Fortean publications. These can lead to the false impression that there is ample evidence available to determine if such a people existed.The question of giant prehistoric Amerindians has intrigued some scientists, however. Iscan and Kessel (1997) reported on an osteologic analysis of prehistoric southeastern U.S. Indians. Their study was based on the skeletal material of over 100 subjects, reporting a maximum average height of 169.8 cm for males, 164.0 cm for females. These figures could be considered "tall", but not extraordinarily so. The authors suggest a few reasons why so many of the early explorers claimed to see "giants" among the tribes they met.

Most Fortean stories about giant skeletons unearthed in North America lack any real details. Most are being passed along second-hand (or third-, or fourth-,...). There is, however, one intriguing tale from a Kentucky folklore book written by Michael Paul Henson (1984). Henson relates how he actually examined a body dug out from under a large rock ledge along Holly Creek in east-central Kentucky. In 1965, a landowner, Kenneth White, was building cattle stalls under the ledge when he found a "perfectly preserved skeleton" which measured 8 feet, 9 inches in length when reassembled. He states "the arms were extremely long and the hands were large. By comparison, the feet were very small." The skull was "30 inches in circumference. The eye and nose sockets were slits rather than cavities, and the area where the jaw bone hinges to the skull was solid bone. It would seem that the person could not have opened his mouth." A powdery white substance covered the skeleton, but no tools, weapons, or other human implements were found with the bones. The body was buried approximately five feet underground. Henson and the farmer assumed the skeleton to be a large, deformed Indian.

Unfortunately, White reburied the bones rather than taking them to a university for examination. Henson died in 1995, and any further notes he may have had on this fascinating story are unavailable (Henson 1996). I would suggest that further investigation of this tale could produce interesting results. We do not have exact locality for this report, but Holly Creek appears to be run through both Wolfe and Breathitt Counties in Kentucky.

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The Lovelock Mummies

from The Unexplained, Karl P Shuker,Barnes and Noble Inc., 1997.
In 1911, several mummified remains of mysterious red-haired humans ranging from 2-2.5 meters(6 1/2 to over 8 feet) tall were disinterred in Lovelock cave, 112 kilometers (70 miles) north-east of Reno, Nevada, by a guano mining operation. These substantiated the local Piute Indians' legends of such people, which they called the Si-Te-Cahs. Yet scientists proved oddly reluctant to investigate these remains and eventually most the bones were simply discarded by the miners. What was left was salvaged by various local people, only for most of it to be destroyed when the shed they were kept in caught fire and burned to the ground. However, one of the Lovelock skulls, almost 1 foot tall, is preserved with some related bones and artifacts at the Humboldt County Musuem in Winnemucca, Nevada, and various Lovelock artifacts are also held at the Nevada State Historical Society's musuem in Reno.

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   
... remember, skeletal remains are many inches shorter than the being was in real life.

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Thanks to wannabe and his many post.

Now we have to find pictures and good links.

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Hmm I haven't been in the Historical society in a long time, maybe I should check it out again

Too bad really, the historical society and planetarium are right across from each other, and both places, especially the planetarium are becoming dumps

And they want to build parking lots out of the planetarium
(they=University)

I wonder if these giants have anything to do with sasquatch theories?

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   
wannabe, i've seen the site you took these from, could you just put the links on, and save space. They are all from the same site, there's only a few sites on giant humans on the net so it makes me a bit skeptical.

XAOS

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by xaos
there's only a few sites on giant humans on the net so it makes me a bit skeptical.

XAOS

I remember one of my best friend.In 1986, I told him that I was pretty sure that the USAF had a stealth fighter, and even may be a stealth bomber.

He told me that he was a bit skeptic, cuz he never heard anything on this subject, and it was looking too much impossible.

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   
sorry guys, didn't know these came from a site. a friend just sent me the attached articles in an email. and I think its pretty hard to discredit the existence of giants when many museums, including the Smithsonian, have giant remains in their basements.
and if we ever catch a bigfoot (which people may have, but it hasn't been publicized), who knows? there might be a connection.

xaos - these are only my most recent internet findings, and do not come close to my other research. if you want more, i can send you a bibliography of material to go through.
think logically though: stories and images of dragons had to come from a real source------>dinosaurs. every old tale about giants also has to have a basis in fact. where else could it come from? if you just don't WANT to accept it, that's cool, I don't think it has any enormous bearing on the meaning of life.

posted on Jan, 17 2003 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I'm just saying that many of them are probably hoaxes, remember the stone man? the rest are probably mutants who met and where buried together.

XAOS

posted on Jan, 18 2003 @ 02:28 AM
link   

I'm just saying that many of them are probably hoaxes, remember the stone man? the rest are probably mutants who met and where buried together.

XAOS

Mutants ???? Did you see many mutants in your short live ???? World population is almost 6 or 7 billions, and we don't see many mutants. And you, you think that when there was just some million peoples, there were many mutants ???

But why not, may be they were mutants. But what happenned so ? What kind of mutation ?

And you know, except for their tall, everything was " normal ".

posted on Jan, 18 2003 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Giants live(d?) on the inside of the earth.

posted on Jan, 18 2003 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Erm, are you going to post anything to back that up AA?

posted on Jan, 18 2003 @ 09:23 AM
link   
That's no backup, that's a consequence of it.

posted on Jan, 18 2003 @ 10:04 AM
link   
So, you made it up?

posted on Jan, 18 2003 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix

XAOS

Mutants ???? Did you see many mutants in your short live ???? World population is almost 6 or 7 billions, and we don't see many mutants. And you, you think that when there was just some million peoples, there were many mutants ???

But why not, may be they were mutants. But what happenned so ? What kind of mutation ?

And you know, except for their tall, everything was " normal ".

By mutant I do not mean x-men powers, the corruption of the meaning of mutant is due to this series. a mutant is someone who differs from the norm in some way, often drastically. This can lead to evolutionary change but usually the mutation is a disadvantage and they die out.

I have not seen that many tall people in my "short live" but that doesn't mean that they aren't out there. The only reason that we find these giant skeletons is because they were probably revered by the people in their tribe, most likely they were seen as gods. this led to better burials and a better chance to preserve their skeletons. If this happened to only a small percentage of mutants throughout history there would be a large amount of preserved skeletons. Enough skeletons to explain the skeletons we find now.

XAOS

posted on Jan, 18 2003 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
So, you made it up?

nope

posted on Jan, 18 2003 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Maybe they were revered, or maybe they just took control. If you were a giant, nothing much would stop you. Examples: Gog and Magog, Genghis Khan.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join