It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina mayor 'just curious' if Obama is the antichrist.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

South Carolina mayor 'just curious' if Obama is the antichrist.

thinkprogress.org

Fort Hill, SC Mayor Danny Funderburk said he forwarded a chain email suggesting Barack Obama is the antichrist because he was “just curious” if it was true:

I was just curious if there was any validity to it,” Funderburk said in a telephone interview. “I was trying to get documentation if there was any scripture to back it up.”

The e-mail, which has circulated in the last six months, claims the biblical book of Revelation says the antichrist will be in his 40s and of Muslim ancestry. The Charlotte Observer reports, “There is no such scripture. And Obama is not a Muslim. But that hasn’t stopped the e-mail.” In March, CNN’s Glenn Beck wondered aloud “Is Obama the antichrist?
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-9-2008 by grover]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I know a thread about this was started when that idiot Beck made his comment about Obama and the anti-Christ.

SIGH!!!

Where to begin? I don't know what appalls me more... that such e-mails are making the rounds or that people are still taking them seriously... or that people who make such a big deal about their Bibles know so little about it such as Revelations was written in the late 1st century AD and Islam came along in the early 7th century.

Are the funnymentalists so clueless that they would actually consider such absurd claims?

thinkprogress.org

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Them crazy Christian Fundies, always on the lookout for a new Anti-Christ.
I mean, how many can there be for, errr..... Christs Sake?

They just want so bad for him to come along and rapture their butts. Still, on a brighter note the rest of us unbelievers would be left to get on with things without their constant idiotic end-times mutterings.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
How is this any different than the left constantly painting McCain as some kind of insane warmonger or wana-be slave owner? You guys always get so angry when someone sends an email that attacks your man Obama, but don't seem to give a damn about the equally ridiculous things said in the main stream about McCain. You guys always want to attack Christians as some kind of subhuman moron, but ignore the fact the same sort of bilge comes from the left.

Thats a major difference in smears. Obama's are relegated to emails and fringe websites and Mccain's are put right out in the mainstream. Remember when Woopie claimed McCain want to bring back slavery?

[edit on 29-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I have basically come to believe that funnymentalism (regardless of religion) is a hallmark of low intelligence... every time I listen to their arguments it becomes increasingly clear that, regardless of the subject... they have no idea what they are talking about.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Obama , the antichrist?
DO what? say what?
Is he the antichrist for what reason ?
Here's a newsflash for you all!!!
ALL Politicians are the antichrist as a collective not just one individual but all of them, they ALL want to run your lives , take your souls and enslave you and your kin.
And guess what? they already have .

Thery're all as bad as each other, lining their own pockets for money , whilst the world watches daytime TV.
it pays to keep you distracted whilst they chain you to servitude .

[edit on 29/9/08 by DataWraith]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
Thats a major difference in smears. Obama's are relegated to emails and fringe websites and Mccain's are put right out in the mainstream. Remember when Woopie claimed McCain want to bring back slavery?

That was hardly mainstream...

nor did anyone on the left besides Whoopie take it seriously. Nor have there been the absolute flood of smears unleashed on McCain like there has been Obama... recent activity here on ATSNN is a prime example....

McCain has not had to set up a website just to fight the smears.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek

How conveniently (for them) that the left always ignores what you just said. Example, right now on ATS we have 2 active Palin smear threads talking about her religion. That in spite of the mod "warnings" that political threads had to be about platforms and not BS such as religion. Starting to believe that ATS is taking their "rightful" place along side of CNN and MSNBC. What's next an Air America Forum?

Level playing field. Deny hypocrisy.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Her religious opinions are a matter of importance especially if she might be a heartbeat away from power... over the past 30 years or so the religious right has inserted religion and specifically their religious beliefs into politics and if they cannot stand the scrutiny of those beliefs then they shouldn't be trying to make matters of faith an issue in politics.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
What's their game ? I'm just not sure

Are they thrashing the religious angle to death so we'll spurn all belief ?

Are they planning to launch someone in a Count Dracula outfit so they can scream breathlessly on msn that the 'anti-christ' has finally been located ?

Are they insane ?

Or do they imagine they'll send us insane ?

Right now, the entire United States appears to be one big mental asylum

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

Her religious opinions are a matter of importance especially if she might be a heartbeat away from power... over the past 30 years or so the religious right has inserted religion and specifically their religious beliefs into politics and if they cannot stand the scrutiny of those beliefs then they shouldn't be trying to make matters of faith an issue in politics.

Why is Palin's religion an issue, but we aren't allowed to talk about Obama's? Again, you guys seem to have 2 standards, one for you and another for everyone else. You guys are able to label Palin and McCain just about anything you want, but as soon as someone calls out Obama its a smear that the Truth Squad needs to target.

You keep saying Palin is "a heartbeat away from the presidency", yet ignore that Obama is going to be the president. Let me see if I have this right:

Obama (President):
-20 years under a racist hate monger: Doesn't matter
-Complete lack of experience: Doesn't matter
-Years of work with an organization that involved in voter fraud: Doesn't matter

Palin (VP):
-Lack of experience: Does matter
-Second hand information about religious beliefs: Does matter
-Religion: Does matter

Do I have this about right?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Nah, Obama is not Antichrist the Antichrist is already in the white house, or people has forgotten that today at 1 PM the souls of the tax payer will be sold to the bankers of the world.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Obama has not endorsed Wright's opinions.... indeed he denounced them... you seem to deny Obama the right to think for himself and come to his own conclusions.

Also the right has made an repeated claim that they are the only true patriots, Christians and Americans.

The thing that seems to annoy so many of you on the right is that you just can't abide to hear what so many in black America actually think of white America.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Example, right now on ATS we have 2 active Palin smear threads talking about her religion.

I noticed the same thing, but was afraid I might get banned again for saying anything. Thats right, ATS is banning people who speak out against the new policies here.

That in spite of the mod "warnings" that political threads had to be about platforms and not BS such as religion

One standard for them and another for us.

Starting to believe that ATS is taking their "rightful" place along side of CNN and MSNBC. What's next an Air America Forum?

Its truly amazing how similar these forums have become to MSNBC especially. If someone makes a thread about Obama's religion and possibility he hates whites, its seen as character assassination and removed. However, post a thread claiming Palin's religion is nuts and she is nuts by proxy and thats imply telling the truth.

Dont you just love how subjective truth can be used to silence dissent you don't like?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I repeat religion is an issue because the religious right has continually made religious beliefs an issue and if they don't like the scrutiny then they should shut up about it.

Besides all of that... this thread is not about Palin's religious views... its about the anti-christ smear.

So stop trying to confuse the two.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

“I am curious about current events and their connection to the Bible,” he said.

www.charlotteobserver.com...

I find this 'explanation' particularly worrying. I don't understand why this is any different than aligning political thinking with horoscopes or reading tea leaves.

I don't actually have a beef with the belief in Christianity per se, but I thought America was meant to be built on the idea of keeping religion and politics separate?

[edit on 29-9-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I am a Canadian and I never fail to be amazed at the ignorance, bigotry and evil I witness from some Americans. The mayor of South Carolina should be removed from his job. To call Senator Obama (and I won't repeat the name) is ignorance beyond belief from someone who has executive power. Senator Obama has done everything a Christian would be proud of of. He rose above adversity, received a good education; he has one wife who he loves; he loves his children, he works hard, he's never done anything to hurt anyone Oh but sorry I forgot to mention, his skin is black. You are living in the dark ages, if you think that the colour of a person's skin somehow makes him lesser than you who have white skin. The largest percentage of people who molest children, beat other men and women are white males.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
hang on - this is the same state of SC that allows 14 year olds to have sex legally?

SC CONSTITUTION SECTION 33. Age of consent. -- No unmarried woman shall legally consent to sexual intercourse who shall not have attained the age of fourteen years. (1999 Act No. 3, Section 1, eff February 16, 1999)

me thinks they need to look a little closer to home before ranting on about other people....

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

I know a thread about this was started when that idiot Beck made his comment about Obama and the anti-Christ.

SIGH!!!

Where to begin? I don't know what appalls me more... that such e-mails are making the rounds or that people are still taking them seriously... or that people who make such a big deal about their Bibles know so little about it such as Revelations was written in the late 1st century AD and Islam came along in the early 7th century.

Are the funnymentalists so clueless that they would actually consider such absurd claims?

thinkprogress.org

I'm sorry, "people" are taking seriously? That "person" is a Mayor, a figure of authority, aren't authority figures supposed to have more brains than that? The man was looking for scriptural backup to validify?!?!?!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The very fact that a black man has a better than even odds at winning the White House has in my opinion driven the hard right over the edge and off the deep end.

Mentally they aren't very stable or bright to begin with but based on some of the threads on here.... they have become unhinged over Obama.

<<   2  3 >>

join