It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Policy: Space Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
2008 Presidential Candidate Platform Discussion

"Let us now embark upon this great journey into the stars to find whatever may await us."

www.johnmccain.com...

Presented for critical discussion and analysis by ATS members under the spirit of the new guidelines announced in This Thread.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Wow, it is amazing to hear of a United States Presidential Candidate actually speak of Space Exploration. President Bush pushed us forward in pursuit of a Manned Mission back to the Moon, and then onto Mars. President Ronald Reagan was behind our pursuit of Orbital Dominance and Military Space Infrastructure. Of course this could not be discussed without mention of President John F. Kennedy Jr., who forever changed the "Space Race" by pursuing Apollo, which placed the First Man upon the Moon in 1969 (Keeping to Kennedy's "Before This Decade is Out" commitment). Also remember, that President Dwight D. Eisenhower was the founding force behind the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in 1958 (and subsequently the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo Programs).

John McCain wants to improve NASA's finances, and maintain their already existing infrastructures through steady financial backing.

John McCain also supports the Commercial pursuits of Space, and believes they are a crucial aspect of American Space Exploration. (He even mentions the X-Prize).

He also believes that we should keep funding and pursuing Manned Spaceflight, which he believes holds a purpose greater than just Exploration, but also towards National Pride. I personally believe that Manned Spaceflight is as important as anything we have ever done in Space. Was our entire NASA Space Race not geared towards this very accomplishment? Not to mention that if we ever wish to become a truly Space faring Nation and World, we MUST gain experience with Manned Space Missions.

Another exciting aspect of John McCain's Space Policy is that he wishes to add Commercialization to the ISS (International Space Station) National Laboratory. This will undoubtedly beef up the operations of the ISS, and quite possibly expand it far beyond what it is currently capable of.

John McCain is fully committed to the current Constellation Program as well (Essentially a revamped Apollo Program on Steroids).

He also realizes the vulnerability of our Orbital based systems (ie, SATS), and believes we must devote the resources and infrastructure maintenance/upgrades necessary towards maintaining/improving these crucial and irreplaceable assets.

John McCain also believes in closing the gap between the turn-over of the Current NASA Space Shuttle (STS-Space Transportation System), and NASA's Next Generation Space Vehicle. This is ABSOLUTELY crucial towards maintaining our current Space Based assets. We are currently far too reliant on the Russian Space Transportation System, in an increasingly unstable Political Environment. Not to mention that we CANNOT involve Classified Projects with Russian Systems.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I am the second person replying in this thread and I am not even American.
Is there something wrong with this picture?
YES there is!

Do you people even want to continue space exploration? I am puzzled. I am going to bash US but for good cause.

Lets check Obama's interest with space exploration according to what he revelaed in this election race.
Zero.
Ok. Lets check Mcain.

As President, John McCain will --

* Ensure that space exploration is top priority and that the U.S. remains a leader;

* Commit to funding the NASA Constellation program to ensure it has the resources it needs to begin a new era of human space exploration.

* Review and explore all options to ensure U.S. access to space by minimizing the gap between the termination of the Space Shuttle and the availability of its replacement vehicle;

* Ensure the national space workforce is maintained and fully utilized; Complete construction of the ISS National Laboratory;

* Seek to maximize the research capability and commercialization possibilities of the ISS National Laboratory;

* Maintain infrastructure investments in Earth-monitoring satellites and support systems;

* Seek to maintain the nation's space infrastructure;

* Prevent wasteful earmarks from diverting precious resources from critical scientific research;

* and Ensure adequate investments in aeronautics research.

Nothing new. At least he continues former US presidents schedule, but it could just be in a form of a statement for support of former presidents space policy. Nothing can quarantee that he will actually pursue these goals. I hope he does.

Now let me repeat:

I am the second person replying in this thread and I am not even American.
Is there something wrong with this picture?
YES there is!

Next post please.

MBF

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Look at the technology advance gained from the Apollo program. I see nothing but a benefit from another space exploration push.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
There's no money for space exploration. The government is broke. Worldwide warfare is now our only hope for survival.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Space exploration needs to conform itself to more simplistic ways of space travel, on a more frequent basis to fully utilise the tax money going into the programs. If NASA would stop all the pie in the sky aircrafts and go with what we are learning about new propulsion techniques beyond the promised slower ion drives etc.. we could spark a whole new way of life based on the center of common focus, space and the unseen. Hope thats more on topic.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by mastermind77]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

As we limp further into the 21st century it's going to become obvious that gov't has little or no place in space exploration other than as a cheerleader...

Private groups have the will, and the brains...with backing of the money men such as Gates, and others with that sort of money, that's the direction space exploration is going to take.

It's good that Mr. McCain supports the Space Program, nothing but; with looming financial constraints both here and abroad, private is the future...

IMHO.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I am going to have to disagree with you about government has no place in space exploration. If anything, they are more suited than a public company. If you are using a public company, you are dependent upon people making a personal investment, where as the government can make a more constant and consistent funding towards them. It is not bound as much to public opinion and interest as would a public company would be. If nobody wants to go or invest in space then there will be no advancement and there will be no program. We need to keep it in the government were they will keep the advancement and discovery coming.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bigvig316

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You have a point that gov't. does, indeed, have a roll in the space programs future...but not as the prime mover and shaker, but rather as something like a facilitator, getting smaller groups to work together by providing, perhaps, incentives for working on projects.

This, of course, is all pie in the sky stuff, that must needs be worked out by people far more knowledgable than I. I just can't see gov't. being responsive enough to make neccessary changes in programs that may need a tweek or two. Private industry, in order to profit, must be responsive.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
If this has positive implications, like producing more physicists and scientists, yes I support it. Our youth need to be encouraged to embark on careers that can help our space programs. The more children we can get interested and excited in this wave of our future, the more it will encourage great breakthroughs!

I just hope who ever does get elected, can push our space programs, and not just for warfare purposes.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Talk is cheap, and all sides say whatever they think the voting public wants to hear. But budgets are where politicians need to act. And until the Congress gets in on the idea, no President stands a chance to do more than pay lip service to the idea of expanded exploration in space.

I hope it happens, but I've heard the wind from political cheeks before. I'll wait and see. As my old Granny used to say, actions speak louder than words.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Due to McCain's stance as a de-regulator of everything, including the financial industry, and his support of unnecessary war in Iraq which costs us a fortune (and our children't futures), the country is indeed broke and every word he speaks on space exploration is nothing but hypocrisy.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I understand what you are saying about not having the funds, but with space, it can make it's own money. Through discovery and patents on inventions and what they bring back from the program will keep space and the technology center going. But if we really do need money we can still go to the Chinese. They seem to always want to buy bonds.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Whether its the next 10 years or 100 years we will make it to the outer planets and maybe even beyond.

Technology changes. Who really knows how we will get to deep space. It may not be rockets but some new technology no one has dreamed up yet.

It will be affordable and it will probably end poverty on earth. Since real estate price are going up on earth I figure the poor will be deported to Pluto or beyond. Peace on Earth pure Science Fantasy! We can't have peace in our homes and with the people next door. Worldwide Peace with 7 Billion hostile humans is never going to happen...the UFO Greys are avoiding us not because their sinister are have a secret agenda there afraid of us. They probably live in the Sea and want to avoid us really badly. Next UFo please pick me up I want OUT.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Although I think exploration is an amazing thing and that we should have advanced much further than we have, I think the US has other pressing matters to attend to and spend money on. Sad but thats what I think.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
so he is going to continue the space program?
I would if i was president. But not with NAZA

We need a new space Program for the 21st century, In the age of Information.

One that is not Run by the Goverment, and cannot Have Top secret Files.

new topics

top topics

join