It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enormous aquatic beast: Bloop

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
While reading a list of cryptids on wikipedia, I came across an entry about a uber low frequency sound, whose origin hasn't been identified. This sound/creature has been named Bloop. First found in 1997 off the coast of South America, the sound was analyzed and found to fit the parameters of a sound made by a biological animal almost perfectly. This wouldn't be remarkable, except that the sound could be heard (by electronic sensors) from over 3000 miles away. According to the NOAA, any organism able to emit such a sound would have to be considerably larger than a blue whale. However, Bloop hasn't been heard from since '97, making study somewhat difficult.

Here's a recording of Bloop:

www.bloopwatch.org...

Any thoughts on what could create such an enormous sound?

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I wonder if these sounds -- if they were really recorded from an unknown source -- were geological rather than biological. Just a thought. When I listened to the link, it sounded like it could have been causes by tectonic stresses.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
p.s. ...... your NOAA source would add interesting evidence to this mystery. If it was measured as being detected 3000 miles away.... that would seem to suggest support for a geological source to me. Thanks for bringing this interesting mystery to us!

Cheers

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Maybe it has to do with the underwater UFO bases? To me it sounds more mechanical than anything. Could this be the sound of a submerged alien reactor?!

Thanks for posting. A lot of posts tonight have been giving me the chills...

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Here's the NOAA source, Bloop's entry is at the very bottom of the page.

oceanexplorer.noaa.gov...

[edit on 25-8-2008 by mr. wildflowers]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MrGrieves

I thought of an underwater reactor as well. I'm currently reading a book where they mention underground machines alot, and I thought of that instantly when I first read about Bloop. Maybe not alien, but something used by humans? Scary thought

[edit on 25-8-2008 by mr. wildflowers]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
well duhr, you mean you don't know what the under water bloop bigger than a Blue whale is?

siiiigh

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
It's been a while since this topic has been discussed on ATS, so we'll leave it open for new ideas, but for reference there are previous ATS discussions:
The 'Bloop'
Bloop??

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Lol, I was thinking more along the lines of the Greatest of the Great Old Ones. In the story, he's found in the same place off the coast of South America

www.summeroflovecraft.com...

[edit on 26-8-2008 by mr. wildflowers]

[edit on 26-8-2008 by mr. wildflowers]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Ah, thanks gemwolf, I should have searched before I posted.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
well duhr, you mean you don't know what the under water bloop bigger than a Blue whale is?

siiiigh

That's sorta scary, wouldn't want that to happen.

Anyway, it sorta reminds me of the YRG, I think it was, from the book "The Swarm". Anyway, it's probably something that wants to kill us.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
After reading the NOAA page is it the area where everybody dumps their used space craft?? Could be a part of something we dumped there .

mikell

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

"The area where everyone dumps there used spacecraft?" what's that, I've never heard of it...

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mr. wildflowers

Pretty weird stuff, it seems centered far off the western coast of South America in the Pacific. How did they identify the sound as from an animal. It's sounds like no other known animal, especially with that range capability.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Anyway, it sorta reminds me of the YRG, I think it was, from the book "The Swarm". Anyway, it's probably something that wants to kill us.

Man, that book was awesome. I didn't eat crab for a year after I read it

On a more serious note, I think I already posted this. And the giant genetic memory amoeba was called the Yrr.

Anyways, I personally think that the source is some sort of undiscovered whale or squid. Hey, they found a bigger squid than Architeuthis in the antarctic a few years ago.

Colossal Squid

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
When gas that is far lighter than air escapes a fissure on the sea floor it rises to the surface at an incredible speed and while it rises it actually whistles.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

That would make perfect sense, much more than an enormous aquatic beast, but some scientists apparently that, upon analyzing the sound file, it EXACTLY fit the parameters of a biological organism.

shadewolf: sure, colossal squids are... well, colossal, but still a LOT small than a blue whale, and Bloop is believed to be much larger than a blue whale.

Unless, of course, Bloop has vocal organs which have yet to be discovered by humans...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
It is interesting that other members have pointed out the inevitable references to the Cthulhu mythos, especially given the fact that the locations of 'Bloop' and Lovecraft's sunken city of R'lyeh are astonishingly close together.

Although it appears as though giant octopi or squids are unlikely candidates, according to Marine Biologist Phil Lobel who points out that

Cephalopods have no gas-filled sac, so they have no way to make that type of noise.
Reference - CNN

Although he does state that it is very likely biological in origin. I have heard many explanations for Bloop before, ranging from it being an undersea earthquake to a group of whales communicating over vast distances and giving the impression of a single large creature.

Of course, given the difficulties inherent in monitoring and cataloging all forms of life at the depths of the oceans, the possibility of it being some hitherto undiscovered, enormous marine animal is at least within the bounds of extreme possibility.

Edit to Consider:

The fact that Bloop has not been heard from since its initial discovery is interesting. This would initially lend credence to the sound being non-biological in origin, since it is reasonable to assume that if there is something down there, it would vocalise more than once a decade. However, given that the array which detected it was designed to spy on Russian submarines, perhaps we simply aren't listening as intently with the end of the Cold War.

[edit on 27/8/08 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Very interesting post.. thbks for the read... this is reminding me of something i have read here lately....ill get back to u on that.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
well for starters, if you read the NOAA site, they claim they recorded it a few more times that same summer. you also should have posted the link to the one without the noise reduction: Blook (w/out noise reduction)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join