It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

video:Great White Shark Surfing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I have no idea whether this is real or not, but if it is, this is one CRAZY mo-fo. lol

That's one way to go I suppose...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
dunno, two other surfers in the water with a shark patrolling the waters seems a bit crazy and the shark swam right next to them and they didn't even move out of the way

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Surfing on ATS is the only adrenaline rush I need.
More sharks in here than in the ocean too.
Too many metaphors.

[edit on 8/8/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

That's what I was thinking, and that Dorsal Fin is HUGE. Sharks scare the heck outta me, I would be paddling for that shore in record speed if I saw a fin like that within a half mile of me. Perhaps Darwinism is alive and well though....lol

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

amen to that. I've been out fishing and seen a fin and the fear factor took over.

I have a great shot of my wife holding up half a fish that she caught on our honeymoon. the other half went to a monstrous tiger shark. as she was reeling it in she started getting pulled over the side. we grabbed her and the line loosened up. then we saw the shark. the captain and his mate started freaking out and I grabbed the rod and pulled the line in immediately. the shark was easily as big as the boat we were in (small boat).

nice size half fish, fed 14 people at the hotel.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I would have had a heart attack on the spot. Tiger sharks are absolute man-eaters. Talk about beyond terrifying. That would have cured me of deep sea fishing permanently. haha

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Heck, seeing a small nurse shark is enough to freak me out...

the last time I surfed a dorsal fin popped up about 200 meters from me...I was at Cannon Beach Oregon, which, after doing a little research, I found out is one of the Great White attack capitals of the world.

15 years of surfing, and I've not done it even once since...

[edit on 8/8/2008 by cautiouslypessimistic]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I owned a blue water capable sailboat for 14 years.

The sharks I've seen in the ocean, blue's, mako's and the like - all known to bite a chunk out of you - swim with the top 1/3 or so of their vertical tail fin out of the water.

No tail fin seen in the video, so I'm calling BS.
Even Holywood screws this one up.

You can tell porpoise by their horizontal tail and the little fact that it doesn't come out of the water when they're swimming.

The fact that porpoise are air breathers and positively buoyant to an extent means a small amount of the top part of their bodies is a little bit out of the water in the upper vertical fin area.

I note too that the vertical fin in the video was at the same depth throughout the film.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think that was really crap....for some lazy bugger to hitch a ride and look " cool" that poor animan now is swimming with a hook stook in its mouth ,,,connected to a fishing rod!!

I think the man is a tosser!!

I would have a lot more respect if he had the guts to remove the hook!!

I fish myself...but I never inflict any more suffering for the creature than is necessary!!

Hopefully he tries that again and he ends up missing a bit of his body...a bit of Karmic payback!!

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
energy drink commercial. amped or something like that

so sayeth the genius nephew.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
energy drink commercial. amped or something like that

so sayeth the genius nephew.

AAAAHHH...Haha. Leave it to our youth to be up to speed on these things. I figured it looked to crazy to be real. lol

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
You can see where the boat has churned up the water before the 'fin' follows the same path.

Would make a clever ad though.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
He was actually being pulled by a JetSki/Waverunner. The fin is fake. It's a great bit of viral video and nicely done too. You can see the water disturbance from the jet ski half way through the clip. Still really good though and looks very real at a glance.

join