It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enemies of Reason

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Do you believe in science or superstition? This man, Richard Dawkins, is trying to find an answer as to why people believe in astrology, superstitions, spirituality, etc., and finds no evidence of these things being true. There is a huge difference between the logical science that can be tested and proved with evidence to back it up, and the pseudo-science of astrology and other made-up beliefs. I say made-up because there hasn't been any reasonable explanation as to why these things are true.
I think its just human nature to try to find meaning of things in life, and this can sometimes lead to a very active imagination, searching for answers. Imaginative thinking is fine, but when it transforms into believing some of these things, one could get lost in their own answers and I think it can eventually fade the logical thinking process.

Worth a watch

video.google.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Good video, he has many good videoes out there. Richard Dawkins does a good job of putting scientific information to the hands of the public so they can understand it. Also, I'm glad he takes time to educate otherwise unsuspecting people of the dangers of these psuedo-science ideas that bend science to fit their medical 'healing' techniques.

I think he tackles the issue(s) well to inform the public in a way of not being someone who is narrow minded but someone who is revealing the truth of these New Age healing sessions. I'm glad someone as eestemed as him takes time out of his schedule to show the dangers of our society where we could possibly head if we continue the multi billion pound trend of this new age 'science'.

I also just love the way these new agers use science to their advantage when they clearly know little to knowing about it. Then at the same time, they are willing to write off science in general but then come crawling back to it when they need real help. Good job Richard Dawkins, we need more people like him who can get to an issue with an open mind and not insult his way to his point but show them in plain terms how their logic is wrong.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Nice post.My question is where does faith come in? Faith=believing in something you dont understand.So if science cant prove it that means it doesnt exist?I love science and I think that its saved our butts many times,but I dont think it holds all the answers.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Tricky63

I've never heard of faith quite put like that exactly. Perhaps, if anything that could be a form of faith. I always considered faith to more of something you believe in because of your understanding of a certain meaning, and thought behind it. Kind of calculated reasoning to have these feelings toward something.

I don't think anyone, including Richard, is trying to imply that science can't prove it therefore it doesn't exist. Science has worked to solve things we didn't know, so I don't think you can say that anything science can't prove doesn't exist, no one here is implying or saying that. Science builds upon itself from other things.

With faith based religion I highly doubt hes trying to bash it just trying to give a broader perspective to help ones thinking toward reasons to have such belief and a deeper understanding. I don't think he nor I are dismissing faith or things science can't prove as non existent or false. I know often science and religion clash and I'm not trying to say one is more right then the other more of a helping hand toward one another.

new topics

top topics

join