It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

subculture prophecies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
i have come to an epiphamy. Over the years, people have seen that certain sub-cultures have been able to predict the future. This may be just a coincidence. I submit that the people who think of any possibilities for the future have an advantage. All must admit that works of fantasy have a compulsion to become fact. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, a fantasy work that described in detail, the workings of a nuclear sub. Star Trek showed a communicator that was portable and wireless, plus voice-activated computers and communicators. Some of the sub-culture writings and shows need to be looked at from a different angle, like the fairly recent death of Captain America, where the son of America dies. If you look at this last one from another point of view, we see that the son of our America is the dollar and the civil war that followed in this comic with all the heroes (in my view, ordinary citicens/patriots) fighting to become or gain the power of the son of America. Many of you here have said that the dollar is doomed and that a subsequent civil war may follow. Considering this, I see that we may need to look toward the sub-cultures to see the possibilities that they see coming forth. I know that this seems far-fetched but I believe that somewhere there might be the information that we need to prepare, and maybe even come out on top. I sincerely hope that we don't have to wait for an outcome like from "The Time Machine". Please let me know what you think. And it is ok if you think that I am crazy because I think that just might be this case.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I guess since they say that the government is at least 30 years ahead in technology, than what we even know about....

It could maybe be fair to say that if Sci-Fi is writing about it, it could actually be true in some underground base somewhere.

Maybe when 20,000 Leagues was written, THAT was when Nuclar submarines really did come about. Or that 20,000 Leagues was the inspiration to today's cell phones.

I didn't really watch much in the way of Captain America, or even know much about it, so can't comment there.
But maybe the thing about past Sci-Fi contraptions coming true in the real world is only because multi-billion-dollar corporations lack creativity so seek it from fiction ?? LOL

Is that why they say that there is some truth in fiction?

To be honest though, I don't think the media focuses much on these "sub cultures", so we are kinda used to to thinking them 'geeky' and just ignoring them. At least, that's me.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Well you have the main point of my post but it is apparent that you where not a fan of any of the media that I posted. When I referenced "20000 leags under the sea", it was to show how a book writen in the 1800's could have had a eerily likeness to today's nuclear subs.

These subcultures have thinkers that in most cases are considered to have fantastic thoughts, and are not to be believed as true to life. Yet it has been shown that these fantastical thoughts come to pass. And in some way it seems that the further towards today, and posably into the future, the faster these technologies and scenarios come to be.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Everything that exists, first exists in the mind. Those who think up new and creative ideas do have an advantage in a sense, because they're helping to shape the future.

Those who choose not to create their own fantasies wind up living in someone else's.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I don't know if this sounds ignorant to you, but did someone famous say that, or was that marvelous piece of insight yours? If that was yours, might I quote you in the future?

I am sincerely impressed.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Personally though, I think that would almost give one the impression that any one of us could invent something revolutionary, just because the mind can come up with it.

Wouldn't it be more likely that it would cost too much to put your thoughts into action? Or if your technology was too practical wouldn't some CIA moron just come "whack" you?

Scientists mysteriously disappear. Or commit suicide ala 2 shots in the back of the head, style.

EDIT TO ADD: Perhaps sub cultures are just supposed to be invalid in the grand scheme of things, because they are too damn intelligent and creative.

At the same time, who says sub cultures aren't created just to keep us too busy to see what's really going on in the world?
Hell, if conspiracy theory is a sub culture of some sort, I can see how it would be easy for our 'research' to lead us in the wrong direction.

[edit on 1-7-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well, seeing as how I read the comics, Cap died after the Civil War.
The Civil War wasn't about his power, but about any super being in America having the right to live as they wanted to, without the ivolvment of the governement.
Something that sounded real good, but Cap recanted after his arrest. His main problem wasn't the law itse'f, but the government who would be enforcing it.
So as for the people fighting for his power... now... they were fighting pretty much for their ability to remain anonymous if they chose.
Yes, I'm a nerd, sue me. Cap was awsome.
The war itself was pretty much kicked off by "The Stansford Incident" where a rouge mutant whent nuts, and blew a town up on live TV, mostly due to the actions of a group of would be heros.
As for the new Cap... well, he shoots people in the knees.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by acewilliams
I don't know if this sounds ignorant to you, but did someone famous say that, or was that marvelous piece of insight yours? If that was yours, might I quote you in the future?

No, yes, and yes.

I've witnessed personally the power of thought and it's interesting how it all works. You don't have to write a book, make a movie, or even tell anyone about a new thought you had. Just dream it up, give it time, and it will come out in the world on it's own. This I believe is because we're all connected via the collective unconscious. However, it always happens in such a way as to not infringe on anyone's beliefs, so the form in which a thought manifests can be somewhat unpredictable. There's always another way of perceiving things, at least initially. What is 'order from chaos' to one person is 'random coincidence' to another.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Prophetic fiction is often inspired by Spirit as well as derived through logical extrapolation.

That is the reason why, on occasion, a work of fiction can predict a future event, device, etc.

new topics

top topics

join