It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunkers please line up for an IQ test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2003 @ 05:38 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I read the cited rant at karenlyster.com against Marilyn vos Savant, and it just sounds a bit shrill to me. I agree with vos Savant that there's no evidence (that meets my requirements for 'good' evidence) of UFOs being Spaceship Guys. I don't think it's impossible, just improbable.

But what strikes me as kind of sad is how Karen Lyster metaphorically shoots herself in the foot.

She begins by excoriating (correctly) some of the 'debunker' bozos who post insults and grammatically-challenged, invalid posts to her website; then turns areound and does the same thing herself, accusing vos Savant and the late Carl Sagan of having been "turned" (perhaps by the Spaceship Guys) because they dare to disagree with her.

She goes on to accuse vos Savant of being "arrogant" and "elitist" and "afraid of the truth" because -- you geussed it -- vos Savant does not share Lyster's views.

Interestingly enough, she quotes a fellow Kiwi and UFO believer named Tim Woodill where he writes a polite, logical, and sensible letter to Ms. vos Savant bringing up some points that anyone -- true believer, debunker, or somewhere-in-the-middle -- should at least look into.

Woodill wins points with me because he knows how to get his point across: he is reasoned, logical, coherent, and, above all courteous in his comments. (For what it is worth we have another UFO believer here on ATS who shares Woodill's approach: our esteemed colleague Gazrok.)

But unlike Messrs. Gazrok and Woodill, Karen Lyster's shrillness and ad hominem attacks place here at the same level as those bozos she so rightly disdains.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the compliment, and I have to agree with OTS here....

She indeed is shooting herself in the foot by unleashing the same venom and unfounded claims (such as being "turned") that she accuses the debunkers of using.

It is entertaining though, hehe...but ultimately, self-defeating.

join