It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans will marry robots by 2050

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Robots will become so human like, having intelligent conversations, displaying emotions and responding to human emotions, that they'll be very much like a new race of people, said David Levy, a British artificial intelligence researcher whose book, "Love and Sex with Robots," will be released on Nov. 6...

Source

It may sound crazy but the idea of a robot sounded crazy 100 years ago...
so you never know, these are strange times we live in

Another eye opener...
Japan makes robot girlfriend

Hey if you cant get a real girlfriend now you can get a robot girlfriend

[edit on 18-6-2008 by SuperSlovak]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

That is just stupid and trying to create media attention

We won't be making humanoids. I don't want terminator 5 coming out by then. Why are those robot freaks, want or need to create a robot human. Can't they not just leave us be human. I mean we haven't full reached our capabilites yet. We don't fully know what it is to be human. These people just really have nothing else to enjoy in life. but create a robot that will eventually not be in control... They will not be able to understand its' creation, cus all they ever wanted to was build this creation.

GOD I can't stand those nerds that want to create a human robot.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by mind is the universe]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
On some days i wish i could trade my girlfriend in for a robot LOL

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I've no doubt this will happen, but I wonder at what cost to the poor robots.

Imagine a robot that gets to play partner to a sadist. Or robots burned alive by cruel kids just for the hell of it. Remember the flesh fairs in AI, where people who hated robots gathered just to destroy them.

Still, I can see a need for these. I'd love to have one just to clean my house and take out the trash. If it's also great in the sack, thats a bonus.

Still, what if you really start to care about the robot and someone breaks into your home and rapes it. On Battlestar Galactica they let a Cylon get raped over and over and justified it by saying, "You can't rape a toaster." Can you rape a robot?

If you love a robot like a wife/husband and have never been happier than when your with it, and I kill it, is it murder or destruction on property? A felony or misdemeanor?

If a hacker cracks a robots code and rewrites it, so that it kills someone then self destructs, will we be able catch the crook?

I agree it's an exciting time, I hope it comes true.

We really need to put some serious thought into it though.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Humans will marry robots by 2050; Economy collapses by 2051. Reminds me of the Futurama episode on the dangers of unhealthy relationships with robots. Take a walk in the park? Nah, I'm just going to stay home with my Monroe-bot.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I think an interesting question that could arise from the creation of a real humanoid artificial intelligence "girlfriend" would be, could they desensitize men to women eventually. That could potentially be a dangerous thing....but I dunno. I can definitely say that a robot girlfriend would never complain about you coming home at 2 in the morning.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I like to think of them as humanoid companions.

Well I do believe the age of electronics is upon us and I don't think anyone can say that the intelligent minds of young inventors aren't swayed by this. It could be a savior in fact. Some people are in fact so lonely they think of suicide everyday and maybe someone, even if programmed, that is there for them would save them. Believe me, I would be one of the first to buy one for that reason. Everyone needs something to pull them through certain stages in their lives and a robotic friend might be the ticket. I wouldn't marry one, but it would be nice to have something there for me.

Though of course there would be downsides and the fear of bad programming.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
One good thing about robot girlfriends is the customizations!
She would never get old and never say no.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
That will be a cold day in hel$ when i lay down next to something made of nuts and bolts.There is no real man that would ever allow and miss the companionship of a real female.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Um. No thanks. The love of my life could NEVER be replaced by a robot. Not possible
Even though he doesnt seem human at all times....robot? No!
Even human like (robot) "toys" are lousy.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Here's a look at nearly current technology, known to the public anyway...

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Robots will be so last week at that time!

I say highly intelligent girls in virtual reality will be more popular.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This may seem a little out of Left (handed) field, but wasn't this one of the goals of Satanism at one time?

Here's an award-winning fiction I wrote that included "Fleshbots."

Hell in Seventh Heaven

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
One good thing about robot girlfriends is the customizations!
She would never get old and never say no.

And if you suddenly decide your gay, instead of a messy breakup you just change the plumbing on the thing.

Oh that was bad......I'm going to go stand in the corner now....

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It's hard to get too serious here, but it does need to be thought about. I know the first thing I thought of when I saw the title. "This ought to save on alimoney when a guy trades up."

But really, it's not that crazy. Look at how some guys love their cars. Don't lean on it. don't eat or drink in it, don't you dare scratch it. We already "love" our machines to a degree.

And it's not about us, anyway. What are you going to say when your daughter brings over her boyfriend, and he turns out to be a simulated human? Call him a tin can, the same way your grandfather might have expressed outrage at a black person?

Attitudes change. You'll either change with them, or give up and be another old fossil.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Pink Floyd ringin' in my head...

"When you know how I need you (need you,) to beat to a pulp on a Saturday night..."

That's messed up.

[edit on 6/18/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mind is the universe

news flash, they have already made robots, called "androids"
androidscience.com

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
lol didnt they say in the 50s we will live in moon colonies by now? Sounds like the same thing, but always 50 years ahead after most the people who read it, are dead or too old to give a sh*t lol

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I think there are serious potential ramification to society, as a whole, if something like this did come to fruition.

On a small scale, look at what online gaming (World of Warcraft etc) does to people - www.cnet.com.au...

This was 2 years ago - clinics to help people detox and readjust to normal society after being immersed in an online gaming environment.

THink, for a second, what would happen if you transcended this to real life - instead of people interacting with other biological persons, they can turn to a simulated person, and have whatever conversation (or lack of) that they program into the bot.

Robot's won't be able to reproduce - so again there lies a significant problem ...

The road ahead is strewn with the potential to completely redefine society - there is ridiculous potential for growth, and also for ruin.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Not really so far fetched and I have absolutely no doubt they will be.

Think about it we already have dolls for lonely men.

We have guys buying wives from less affluent countries.

Flesh like dolls with artificial intelligence is the next best thing. You can order a little skinny chick, or a big fat mama - whatever floats your boat.

As far as not talking back, well I think you would probably program her to talk back a bit to make it more realistic.

Hey, maybe we are flesh robots that someone created for pleasure & then left us here on earth and forgot about us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join