It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think they Can't Track You? Think Again!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The terrorism investigation code-named Mont Blanc began almost by accident in April 2002, when authorities intercepted a cellphone call that lasted less than a minute and involved not a single word of conversation.
Investigators, suspicious that the call was a signal between terrorists, followed the trail first to one terror suspect, then to others, and eventually to terror cells on three continents.
What tied them together was a computer chip smaller than a fingernail.
For two years, investigators now say, they were able to track the conversations and movements of several Qaeda leaders and dozens of operatives after determining that the suspects favored a particular brand of cellphone chip. The chips carry prepaid minutes and allow phone use around the world.
Investigators said they believed that the chips, made by Swisscom of Switzerland, were popular with terrorists because they could buy the chips without giving their names.
"They thought these phones protected their anonymity, but they didn't," said a senior intelligence official based in Europe. Even without personal information, the authorities were able to conduct routine monitoring of phone conversations.

Don't know if the link will work, you have to register to view NYTimes stuff, so I gave you the jist of it above.
How Tiny Swiss Cellphone Chips Helped Track Global Terror Web

Makes you wonder what other conversations they could listen to on purpose if they found this by accident.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Like in the early 90's, they had such a big push for every school to have a computer, and then every contest had to be entered or verified over the Internet. Why?

And then, now, every one needs a cell phone. Stay connected with your loved ones. Bull. My 14 yr old sister-in-law doesn't need a cell phone to call somebody when she's always over here using my phone. People don't need to call home and say "I'm at Burger King" or "Yeah, the movie just started".

People are, and have been, led to believe that they need this stuff in order to GET AHEAD IN LIFE. It's just bull... something, somewhere, is making a big push to keep tabs on everybody.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
What's wrong with cell phones? I like having a cell phone - it's convienent and if you get in an emergency you might be screwed without one.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
They are tracking all of us, we just don't notice it too often as we'd like to.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Ever see someone talk on a cellphone and drive a vehicle at the same time?
People don't use cell-phones just when they need them, they use them when they shouldn't.

People that are constantly using their cellphones deserve to be tracked. When the time comes, we will know who needs to be eliminated.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DClark
Ever see someone talk on a cellphone and drive a vehicle at the same time?

This is actually illegal in the Netherlands. I think it costs you about 90 euro if they catch you. Almost everyone calls handsfree in the car now and the amount of traffic accidents has reduced a bit.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   

This is actually illegal in the Netherlands. I think it costs you about 90 euro if they catch you. Almost everyone calls handsfree in the car now and the amount of traffic accidents has reduced a bit.

Also in the UK although it hasn't made a bit of difference as it's not rigourously enforced. I still see people driving a talking. In fact: the other day I was being followed (not in any conspirational sense you understand) by a guy in a 4X4 who had a phone in one hand and a cig in the other - safe driver? I think not!

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
When I was in the military stationed overseas (I don't know if this applies to the military in it's entirety, but it happened where I was at), the chain of command dictated that it was mandatory for everyone purchase a cell phone, supposedly for recall purposes in case of an emergency.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
So your not to happy having your BIG Brother looking after you..... me to but I just have to have one every one else dose

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well of course 'they' could the capability has been there for years, the possibility has only just hit mainstream. But the question is why would 'they'?

Who really needs to know where all us nobodys are all the time? If they need to find us sure, its possible (and has been for a while). But if we ever need to not be found, we can just turn the phone off, or take the batteries out if we are extra paranoid...

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shaitan

Also in the UK although it hasn't made a bit of difference as it's not rigourously enforced. I still see people driving a talking. In fact: the other day I was being followed (not in any conspirational sense you understand) by a guy in a 4X4 who had a phone in one hand and a cig in the other - safe driver? I think not!

Come down-under and check out our motorists.
They don't talk... they text!

top topics

join