It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Do We Go When We Die?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Where do we go when we die? Do we just walk the earth as ghosts for enternity? And if we do what is the reason we would stay here? Could we reincarnate on earth or possibly onto another planet. Or is it possible that our souls are connected with the Earth and when we die are souls rejoin with her? Some say we either go to Heaven or Hell? Could we go to another dimension somehow?

I just wanted to get everybody's feed back on this very important issue? There could be other possible scenarios that I haven't listed either. Tell me your beliefs.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
No place, just like before you were born. This is eternity now, your only time knowingly in the sun. Savor every second of it, 'cause when it's over, it's over. Religion is bad fiction... armed with rifles ....

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Straight Razor]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by eric52081

The Book of Enoch tells us that we go to a holding period until Judgment Day, dependent upon our sins. This is from a Christian point of view.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
So, in this holding period are we sleeping or what? I truly don't grasp this concept. What form will be in and when is judgment day? Are we supposed to wait forever for this to happen? Haven't we suffered enough as it is on Earth. I honestly hope we don't have to wait for judgment day.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
You should read up on NDE's, some are astounding but as always science have it's/their explanation.

Imo, those who are being called by God now—who are being judged I Peter 4:17 and are building holy, righteous character—will be a part of the first resurrection upon the Return of Jesus Christ I Thes. 4:16-17; Rev. 20:6

For the following 1,000 years, God’s government will be administered across the world, bringing peace and prosperity for all Isa. 9:7; Rev. 20:12-13. Then will come the second resurrection, in which every man, woman and child who has ever lived—but who had not yet received an opportunity for salvation—will be brought back to physical existence.

Rev. 20:12-13

12: And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13: And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14: And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15: And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Ezek. 37:5; Rev. 20:12-13). All will be given a chance to learn God’s way of life and to overcome the way of sin. Those who do will be given the precious opportunity to change to immortality.

No one is currently eternally burning in an everlasting hell, and no one ever will. What kind of God would send someone to an ever-burning hell to be tortured forever, without end? What kind of God would inflict such eternal punishing on those who never had the chance to learn His way of life?

Certainly not the God of the Bible, He will give all human beings the opportunity for salvation.

My opinion and belief.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
well, if you are looking for religious points of view, i assure you there are many texts that will be more than happy to flood your mind w/ overwhelming guilt and terror on the concept of heaven and hell and the standards by which you need to live in order to assure your rightful place in heaven (though all of that IS open to different interpretations should you decide you need to HEAR it from someone else, in which case you could end up being more confused and doubtful).

or you could just deal w/ the here and now and recognize that you are probably put here by something/one greater than you and decide to worship this being by your actions in doing service to others (who also are put here by this same being and who are also dealing w/ the same scary issues of life)) and studying w/out biased opinions so that you can come to your own conclusion w/out fear of others imposed penalties.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
There are numerous possibilities...

1. Christian death - Changes depending on individual beliefs, but possibilites include Heaven/Hell/Purgatory/Waiting area (at which you stay until judgment day)
2. Reincarnation
3. Become a ghost
4. Theories in physics suggest that after the entire universe has completely vanished (faaaaaaar in the future), that odd pieces of matter will spontaneously pop into existence. With an eternity to work with, eventually this exact same universe will pop into being. If the theory is true, then I could have already typed this an infinite amount of times. Some other incarnations of the universe may be exactly the same, with the only difference being that my hair is blonde then instead of brown. This is kind of a scientific reincarnation.
5. Some completely unknown possibility - As we can't get first-hand knowledge of death that we can pass on to everyone else, we may not have even ever thought of what really happens.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
You should read up on 'DEATH' the personage in the discworld novels of terry pratchett i think that vision is pretty much on target.

Bottomline is that you get what you expect, not want but what you think will be there when you die. So when a Muslim gets a NDE and get's back from it his experience will be Islam orientated, a Christian get's his etc. etc. the perfect illusion i'd say.

Anyway, i believe that there is merrit to the notion of reincarnation so being dead is only a moment ( in timelessness
) to get your barings straight and start up a new experience that you choose as a soul untill you are done with it.

It's only you (or an aspect of you) that chooses what to do next when you died.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

The electrochemical chain reaction that is your metabolism and central nervous system is starved of its fuel, and stops working. Just as when your car runs out of gas, your engine's spirit hasn't left the car, it's just stopped working. Unlike a car's engine, though, our bodies start to degrade when we're not alive, and so re-starting us is a lot harder than simply adding more fuel and turning a key.

So, to sum up, "we" cease to exist when our brain dies. "We" don't go anywhere, as "we" are merely the ongoing result of a chain reaction. Stop the reaction, and "we" simply disappear.

Anyone who says anything about an afterlife is not posting fact, but opinion. Science has figured this stuff out already.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420

Anyone who says anything about an afterlife is not posting fact, but opinion. Science has figured this stuff out already.

And yet there's no evidence to prove that an afterlife does not exists. There are religious scientists too, you know >_>

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

The electrochemical chain reaction that is your metabolism and central nervous system is starved of its fuel, and stops working. Just as when your car runs out of gas, your engine's spirit hasn't left the car, it's just stopped working. Unlike a car's engine, though, our bodies start to degrade when we're not alive, and so re-starting us is a lot harder than simply adding more fuel and turning a key.

So, to sum up, "we" cease to exist when our brain dies. "We" don't go anywhere, as "we" are merely the ongoing result of a chain reaction. Stop the reaction, and "we" simply disappear.

Then care to explain Ghosts? EVPs? I'm sorry, I've seen too much to believe that we just Cease to exist. There's something after this, though no one will ever know for sure, as it's an individual journey.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tsuki-no-Hikari

And yet there's no evidence to prove that an afterlife does not exists. There are religious scientists too, you know >_>

A negative cannot be proven so it is irrational to assume it is so. Prove there are no Leprechauns. One cannot, but that does not mean leprechauns exist. What is needed is positive evidence of leprechauns. What is needed is positive evidence of an after life, and of that there is none.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

None of those phenomena have been recorded in a controlled environment, so there's nothing to explain. If they exist, which they might, there is no evidence for them. They are basically a hypothesis at the moment, whereas the science behind the physiological mechanisms that keep us alive are very much a solid scientific theory (as opposed to a hypothesis).

Believing in ghosts and EVPs without evidence is abandoning reason and logic.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I proposed a theory that we are already dead, based on the idea of a timeless afterlife. That what we consider death is just the end of information input of this life experience.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Hopefully a red robbins with an unlimited ice cream card. Read the book of the dead.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Interesting topic and a few interestingly good ideas have been bought forth from it already.

Beliefs, are really just a hypothetical and often serve as a crutch due too personal circumstance, much like questioning God in a time of need.
I would like for there to be a "heaven", though I don't really believe in religion, "heavens" existence would be of great comfort too me, due too personal circumstance of course.

Good thread, will be interesting too see how it pans out.

Fox.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Where did we come from ?

Where is the Universe?

Where do we go when we die?
(As far as the human race, the Sun does come to a certain point of expiration...)

Where is a difficult question?

[edit on 3-6-2008 by jwater88]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
What if!
Human are a combination of 2 “things":
First one; is matter (the body)
The second one; is the subtle, the non measurable, the ghost, the spirit, the soul..You take your pike
Can we really be sure of this above?

What is sure is that each of us had once this sensation, feelings, and thoughts that we exist in materiality and non materiality.
Therefore we can be sure at least that these sensations exist, and therefore sensations are real.
These real sensations are obtained by the "thing" that we name „body". This body is for us a voluminous solid object; well again at least we have the sensation of it. The body is therefore a sensory receiver, we could stop there because in a since no materiality is proved, the fact that matter exists outside of our perception has never been certain.
Does matter exist outside our perception? We have no clue. We can only be sure that we have and receive sensations.
Now that we are sure that at least the sensations exist, it is necessary that some energy, being, spirit, someone, something manage these sensations, a sensation have not direction by themselves. Sensations have to be directed to manage the flow of information.
Because we don’t know who is doing the job of manager, the simple explanation is that we have in our core an unknown stream of energy which is not detectable by human artificial censor but by only human own inner feeling.
So if you take this argument, then you logically accept the existence of the soul and the immortality of its substance.
We don’t die; we pass from one realm to another.

Kacou.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Hello there...

I would love to join this discussion with my little contribution...and Bless you, Dave, but I have my fingers in my ears to what you've been saying. I know you're entitled ot your beliefs, and I would never dismiss them, but you must not, in any universe, try to tell people with different viewpoints that what they believe and feel to be correct is wrong because it cannot be measured. Spirituality is an individual matter, and does not have to prove itself.

Anyway...I struggled with this very matter until I read a couple of books by hypnotherapist Michael Newton, who very elegantly describes the spaces between lives that we all inhabit, and the principles of Soul Group Theory. I had heard this term many years proeviously, but couldn't find any information till his books turned up and suddenly all the bits fell into place. It seems to be very well researched and convincing work, by someone who admits he was sceptical at first, and I will try to sumarise it for you here. The books are called Journey of Souls, and Destiny of Souls, if you are interested. All his research comes from regression sessions that he did with his clients, and show remarkable congruity.

Basically, Soul Group Theory says that we all incarnate by choice according to what we decide upon with our spiritual soul family or group. Originally, we formed from sparks of divine light that split into 12 or more, and the split again, forming "families" of souls. We all have this divine light, or essence of God within us. It also explains why some people we encounter seem sooo familiar to us when we know we have never met, and makes sense of life's big lessons. Aparently we choose our lessons for each earth incarnation according to what we feel we need to learn on our soul's evolution. What we are aiming for, on a soul level, is as much human experience and learning as we can gain, of every kind, even if it's traumatic, or painful. We can also choose not to incarnate if we so wish, and will spend time with other members of our family in the space between lives. Time is not an issue, as anyone who has ever spellcast will confirm...the spirit model of time is incredibly elastic, and can be stretched or contracted at will....try waiting and watching for the results of a spell and see how much it stretches!!

I know this may unnerve some people who may think that they would never choose to go through life's nasties, like losing a child or a partner, or being tortured or starved to death, but the idea is that we must experience everything to make our understanding complete about what it means to be human, and to take this learning back to God with us. We choose who our parents are, who our partners are to be, what our big lessons are...and or course we still have free will, and will make of our lives what we want, but the big stuff will turn up in some form, if we have agreed to do it. The significant people in our lives usually turn out to be members of our soul group, and in totally incahoots with us!

I felt very comfortable with this theory, so I hope you will enjoy exploring it, even if you decide it's not for you, and I hope it helps. Any questions, fire away, and I will do my best.

Blessings

Caitlin

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Well, your physical body becomes one with the biosphere, that is something that is pretty much unquestionable.

As for everything else, i don't think we could ever possibly/truly comprehend it in this life - it's difficult to look out at something when there's a very large box named 'reality' interfering with your viewpoint.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join