It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about lead paint?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Let me start by saying I have absolutely no proof to back my question, but I wanted to raise the question to see how others think about this. Where lead based paints really banned because of health issues or where they banned because of interference with spy satelittes and listening devices?

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Interesting question. As far as I know they were blocked because they caused health problems.

I think the spy satellites have the technology to listen and see through lead nowadays.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
health.

a few years ago one of my teachers had on old bottle he used very sparingly. it was SUPER DUPER DUPER OLD. he got it before the ban/discontinuation.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
oh jesus. you would need solid lead atleast 1/8 inch thick to block any transmissions. lead paint was blocked because people were getting - youll never guess what - lead poisoning.

edit: actually im probably going on the very conservative side on the thickness, its probably closer to an inch thickness nessescary.

[Edited on 2-3-2004 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
think about it like this. paint on a wall is what? a millimeter or two at the most in thickness? definitely not thick enough to mess with listening devices or spy satellites or anything else.

it was definitely medical reasons. doesn't getting lead into the bloodstream do something to something to the brain?

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I'm gonna vote "health" on this one.

Link

Large amounts of lead in a child's blood can cause brain damage, mental retardation, behavior problems, anemia, liver and kidney damage, hearing loss, hyperactivity, developmental delays, other physical and mental problems, and in extreme cases, death.

-B.

link   
I am in Real Estate, The only time you have to replace it, is when it starts cracking. Thats when the Lead is released. Yes it can kill you.

[Edited on 2-3-2004 by SpittinCobra]

link   
farer---calm down he said he HAS no backing of PROOF...

[Edited on 2-3-2004 by they see ALL]

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
kinda figured this would be the response but I wanted to just throw it out there, and maybee id learn something new!!

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Lead paint, wheather dust or chips ,when ingested by developing children can cause nurological problems.

Vinyl siding is just as bad, it can degrade under UV rays and develope a fine dust.

Many people ask the spy question yet are not aware that most vinyl siding (at least in the cold climate)is applied over foil backed ridged insulation. Wouldn't that shield better?

I personaly think it is a myth. If they want to see inside they can. Maybe using accoustics, chemtrail plasma and those satilites way out in space. Sort of like a TV tube in reverse.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
really vinly siding is just as bad ive never heard of that is that why the firedepartment is very cautious when vinly siding is on fire

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
think about it like this. paint on a wall is what? a millimeter or two at the most in thickness? definitely not thick enough to mess with listening devices or spy satellites or anything else.

it was definitely medical reasons. doesn't getting lead into the bloodstream do something to something to the brain?

yes..it makes you...CRAZY. this is one of the theories behind many of the master's complete insanity. the water used to wash off brushes is the same water you drink. i paint too ( no lead hehehe) and i can vouch that you DO become immune to the taste of paint...so you drink it.

we're crazy!

hahaha thats why we're STARVING, but never THIRSTY

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tweeker
really vinly siding is just as bad ive never heard of that is that why the firedepartment is very cautious when vinly siding is on fire

The foil faced ridge insulation is usually polyisocyanurate insulation which when burned gives off sionyde gas. The vinyl siding is composed of PVC or polyvinylcloride.

The cloride componet produces PCB's when burned. If you live anywhere near a home which has been consumed by fire, the area may be contaminated. Not Good especially if it drains into the ground water.

Just consider energy_wave the AT's resident home inspector

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

paint on a wall is what? a millimeter or two at the most in thickness?

You never saw my house! Sand the old paint off indeed... that's the only thing holding the drywall together!

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
wow thanks for the info energy_wave

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Lead poisoning was blamed for the fall of the ancient Roman empire.
www.epa.gov...

"The Romans were aware that lead could cause serious health problems, even madness and death. However, they were so fond of its diverse uses that they minimized the hazards it posed. Romans of yesteryear, like Americans of today, equated limited exposure to lead with limited risk. What they did not realize was that their everyday low-level exposure to the metal rendered them vulnerable to chronic lead poisoning, even while it spared them the full horrors of acute lead poisoning"

The article then explains how the lead was smelted and how the slaves who mined the lead suffered horrible lead poisoning, before continuing ...

"Roman aristocrats, who regarded labor of any sort as beneath their dignity, lived oblivious to the human wreckage on which their ruinous diet of lead depended. They would never dream of drinking wine except from a golden cup, but they thought nothing of washing down platters of lead-seasoned food with gallons of lead-adulterated wine."

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I was the kid that went to Radio Shack and Heath-Kit back in the 70's and bought those TV's, Hi Fi radios, and test equipment for my lab I had on my table at home next to my chemistry set and microscope. I enjoyed putting those things together with my soldering iron and tin/lead solder. I love the smell of solder in the morning! Anyway after many years of smelling the fumes I must say it didn't effect me, or me either! No problem here. Hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
First a little history. The U.S. was one of the last countries to ban the use of LBP for residential use. The reason for that is simple. Lead mining was a big business.

The use of LBP in residential structures was officially banned in 1978, but the truth is, many paint manufacturers had started to phase out the use of LBP a long time before that. One of the principle reasons was the growing use of latex over oil based paints. The other main reason was that the health effects of lead were well known even then.

LBP was an expensive paint back in the day when it was used, so it tended to be used sparingly and for certain applications where it was well suited. Windows, doors, bathrooms, kitchens (areas with high moisture issues) and on metal items.

Contrary to popular belief, The greatest health risk from LBP is not from paint chips it is from the dust. Although paint chips are a clear sign that the paint is starting to fail and delaminate from the substrate. If you have paint chips you will have very high and dangerous lead levels as dust. However, lead dust can be present even when the paint is relatively intact.

The greatest hazard for most children is dust that is generated by friction and wear of the painted surfaces. Window wells and sills collect this dust. Kids love to play in window wells.

Dust levels in window wells where the windows are painted with LBP can be over a thousand ug/ft2

Dust levels as low as 50 ug/ft2 have been linked to elevated blood levels (EBL) in children. EBLs have been definitely linked to learning disabilities in children.

One of the biggest hazards for generating dust is home renovation. Most DIYers and far too many contractors are unaware or are unable to follow proper procedures and as a result wind up contaminating the entire house.

And lastly, yes, excessive lead poisoning can kill you, but the damage to children can happen at levels far below the life-threatening threshold.

If you are concerned about this, a few inexpensive wipe tests can be made to determine the lead levels in your home. The best source for additional information is your local health department.

[Edited on 3-3-2004 by HowardRoark]

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I am a painter and my father was a painter,my mother was an artist and my grandmother was an artist,my aunt was an artist and my cousin. Nowadays most paint that is worth using is 100% acrylic,even residential is (or should be if done properly) . Lead was phased out some time ago,10 or 15 years if i remember.
Anyways back to the topic...I think the lead removal or reformulation was mainly environmental and not health related,although health was a factor.
I have not seen any long term health problems due to lead paint,I think it was mostly scare tactic because some dumb mother who was not watching her kid, like she should, had her child eat some lead paint and probably got ill. Something bad will always happen to people like that anyways.
I guess everyone suffers now with more expensive,inferior products and more frequent repaints.
I think lead based paint is still available in other states. Im in california.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat

yes..it makes you...CRAZY. this is one of the theories behind many of the master's complete insanity. the water used to wash off brushes is the same water you drink. i paint too ( no lead hehehe) and i can vouch that you DO become immune to the taste of paint...so you drink it.

we're crazy!

hahaha thats why we're STARVING, but never THIRSTY

A bit off topic, but man...I'll stick to sculpture and computer art. I don't paint for a reason... Terpines. Alot of the old masters were addicted to Terpines as well (terpentine) from chewing on the handles of their brushes while they pondered. As well, one of Absynthe's main intoxicants is terpines (from the wormwood), which is what brings about the 'euphoric' part of the high. Alchohol just increases the flow through your system a bit, but is usually not enough in a glass of absynthe to get drunk off of. The terpines weren't the ONLY cause of madness... as Scat mentioned, the oil paints also contained lead, which accumilates in the brain over time. If you ever want to know what could happen from lead poisoning, read about the explorers who first went to the (north?) pole... or tried to. The new thing in that day was canned food. The cans were made from lead-lined steel, so that they wouldn't rust through, and thus made longer voyages possible. The entire crew went mad... some killed eachother, lots of distrust and paranoia, etc. I think some even ate eachother even though there was plenty of food on the ship.

EDIT: Forgot to mention about acrylics: Acrylics aren't all that healthy for you either... Yellow, especially Cadmium Yellow, which contains cadmium, is toxic. I think alot of the reds are as well. It is reccomended that you wear some kind of 'barrier' glove when you paint with acrylics, especially if you do alot of acrylic painting. Just an FYI, from an artist to others

[Edited on 2-3-2004 by Earthscum]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join