It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could California slide off into the ocean?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I don't like to be alarming, but I have a true story for you;

Sometimes, I think we give our dreams too little credit.

What if our dreams are simply picking up on the collective
conscience, and putting together a potential future scenario
for us?

Visions, some call them deja vu's, I believe, happen all the time.

I had a vision one time.

I was standing on the edge of a river bank, and I saw an indentation in about
two feet from the edge. As I look at this, the bank broke off at that indentation, and sluffed off into the river.

It made me instantly think of California, sluffing off in the ocean!

Years later, I was looking on Google, and I noticed how the valley
along the California State line (death valley) is depressed. It immediately
made me think about that river bank, many years back.

Now, look at the shelf where Los Angeles sits.

www.physics.unlv.edu...

Looks ripe for a landslide to me.

Think of all the weight of the concrete, the constant erosion,
the fault line, the recent earthquakes, mine and others dreams, visions,
and the constant erosion of the sea.

Now, if, God forbid, this did ever happen, think about the tidal wave.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by cutbothways]

[edit on 8-5-2008 by cutbothways]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cutbothways

That's very possible. I appreciate the research & other work you've done. You're a great friend & patriot.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
No, it really can't do that.

There is no actual mechanism for it to do that. It's not even remotely possible even for it to budge like that. California, while it has the San Andreas fault line, is not able to do that. For one thing the fault line isn't such a constant line as you are thinking of, and for another California itself is part of the North American Plate. The other side might be part of the Pacific plate, but that doesn't make any difference, since the Pacific plate is getting smaller and as such forcing California into the USA, if you can call it that.

Do you remember the fuss about the side of that island in the Canaries falling into the sea? If I remember correctly that was disproved, and with that there was a far smaller scale and a proposed mechanism. California on the other hand, is firmly attached to America, and also the Pacific plate. Unless the San Andreas fault line was to travel horizontally such that California was detached physically from the rest of the plates, what you propose is impossible. Even if it were like that, you would need enormous energy to even budge it. The force of friction is equal to the coefficient of friction x the reaction force (that is, the weight of California in this case), which would need enormous force to even budge in what you propose. This is ignoring the assumption that you would be dealing with a flat body on a flat surface, which does not apply in the slightest.

Think of all the weight of the concrete,

Negligible in comparison to the natural weight. Buildings are hollow and have in comparison to the rock little mass.

the constant erosion, and the constant erosion of the sea.

Have nothing to do with fault lines unless we're talking about a hypothetical Phreatic eruption causing it due to water. In fact, erosion dumps mass into the sea, so what would that even do?

the recent earthquakes,

The earthquakes are from transverse movement, not subduction or any other process.

To sum up, the chance of California sliding into the ocean is basically zero.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Somethings brewing. I've been like a cat on a hot tin roof all day. The recent spate of eq's from alaska, oregon, down to LA recently have been numerous. Two 3.1's in mississipi today. New madrid is groaning too. Something is going to give bigtime. Hope it's just nerves and an overactive imagination.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Even the Discovery channel says 'It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when' when they're talking about 'the big quake'.

Although I don't quite know the magnitude of how big 'the big quake' is estimated to potentially be.

To answer your question, maybe, maybe not.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think anything is possible.

If we all prayed long and hard enough, it just may fall off into the ocean.
I grew up in Los Angeles, and since I moved from there, I pray everyday, that it will break off and sink into the ocean. A few more cars on the road, a little more weight, more negativity, more people....come on folks, we can make it happen!

The 405 going straight into the ocean would be sooooo cool!

All the traffic sinking into the sea.....wonderful!

Let us pray together....

(lol)
Just kiddin (I don't want anyone to die unnecessarily), but if it happens.....

[edit on 10-5-2008 by conxposer]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Wow. That's really kind of chilling conx. Dry ice chilling. Can't imagine your mindset on that. Probably don't want to know. Chilling. I want to believe that's poor sarcasm. 'Shudders'.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Wasn't there a movie about this?

This is not a one line post.

[edit on 11/5/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

Once again, Ignorance is Denied!

I think the idea (much like saying, "The sky is falling.") started out years ago as wishful thinking.

Earthquakes, yes, but slip sliding away into the Pacific, no.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
There are hundreds of tunnels that extend from the pacific shelf under the California land mass and some even all the way to the major fault lines.

Enough rumbling and shaking and these could collapse in and cause the west coast to apparently collapse into the sea.

Huge underground rivers that flow under ground (still today) in the desert would rise up out of the sands.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
i used to have dreams of tidal waves and being trapped in L A while it happened, but that arose from my view. namely fear, and my vengful feeling to what humanity has become(i have become). many other ppl have the same thoughts and we connect to it creating one big magic spell. but no matter how many ordinary ppl spell it , earth under us is quite strong and wont ccollapse. really, i change my idea on this. because why should ppl just die cuz i want them to. why would i pray for ppls death(death of my past) even if SOME are a bit misled. I decide after research that yeah it will get quite hectic with porobably not much food or clean water, but then u could just move. maybe tidal waves, but thats just a handful gone. the rest thrive. all that are hoping for it to collapse are just wasting energy, and will get negative karma. so i suggest start praying for healing so that the world could be a nicer place, EVEN in LA.haha, the fact is we go crazy at how cool it would be, like YA i Told U! proving that we are just wanting to be right. I hope that LA may learn from its mistakes, and the whole world evolve into a more community based intelligent society.

top topics

join